• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMMT M977 Crane Swap Deuce Project

Elwenil

Yeah it's not to bad of a game for a free one. The US Army made it and distributes it out for free as a recruiting tool. Me and a few of our gaming clan members started playing it and put up our own Americas Army server to play on. It's very well done and with a lot of attention to detail. Really well suited to team based tactical playing. We get on our comm program so we can talk to each other and test our tactics and skill against other teams. It's a way to kill time if nothing else...

spicergear

WOW...long time getting back to this, holy smokes! Well, when I left off I had been working on the pump sizing. I did use the big Commercial pump I had like Bjorn's and it worked out GREAT! All functions of rams and oil motors have very comfortable speed to them. The valve block itself is preset to 3,000psi (iirc)...I've never checked actual pressure but the thing works so well I'm not concerned with where the pressure is. The pump is driven via transfercase PTO. I run straight thru in 4th gear and have a 10% overdrive in the sprocket set that drives down the the shaft and pillow block then back to pump.

The load holding valves in the 'boom up' rams are really impressive with their holding ability as when the crane is boomed down, it will bog the engine down (225hp 1160 CAT) as it powers the oil past the holding valves. The same on the outrigger rams...but not quite as dramatic engine speed reduction.

As Mangus mentioned earlier...the dropside was cut and shortened to 8'- 1" inside length so 8' stuff would fit with the gate closed.

The biggest delay and ENORMOUS pain in the rump was the ultra low grade aluminum castings that hold the operating handles onto the valves. After running the crane a couple of times and have them piss out fluid in high pressure form some investigating realized that they had hairline cracks in them like the whole rack of valves had been dropped or impacted somehow at one point. I took them to a welder specializing in aluminum, gave specific instruction...after 6 weeks of not doing them he forgot my instructions and destroyed all 4 castings. These castings run $400-$500 through Grove...x4 makes you want to slam your hand in a door. Then, they got sent to a machine shop outside Salt Lake where they were to be blue printed and remade out of new billet aluminum. Well...about 2 years and several call to just, '...no hard feelings, just PLEASE send them back,' finally got them back where a member here and a friend finally was able to get the done! Whew.

It's been up and running for maybe a month or two now and I'm using the daylights out it! Heaviest lift so far was about 4,500 lbs (a Silver 92 w/13 speed RR still on 18' of chassis with the front truck axle and tires still on it. That's a BIG lift and I won't go heavier. Had to lift it to get the front axle out. First lift after getting all the new billet pieces back on was loading a 400hp 8V71 Detroit on a trailer for a guy. So nice...

The pics just show it lifting the base of a military engine shipping conainer that has a bunch of steel chunks in it. Had to move that out of the barn so I could fit the truck in to change the transmission. Front bearing let go, see that pic.

Weights: Truck as seen in picture is 18,010 lbs. Scaled at 8,000 lbs front and 10,010 lbs rear. Also note A3 wheels and Conti' tires to up the front tire load rating as the stock NDT's were right at the top of their singled capacity.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Glad see it finished. The whole package looks great and its even better that its functional! I like the mini-bed.

We all take on projects that don't seem to end, its still fun though.

I remember you talking about the valve body back in 07' at RC :p

oilcan

Hey Tom, are you still retarded? ;-)
Great to see you posting again. Hope it's not a one time thing!

spicergear

Done?! What's that? It's due to get all the colors matched up again now.

Bjorn, there's a pic early in the thread of it nested but I'll grab one with bed and all in the next couple of days and get it posted. Truck is looking pretty meaty these days.

I'm thinking about hinging the rear of the bed and putting a heavy lift loop at the front so it I could have the ability to stand the crane up, grab the front loop, and dump it. We'll see...at the moment I'm real happy the crane works and real happy the replacement tranny shifts as good as the guts looked when I popped the top off to inspect it! Whew-

spicergear

Took a couple more pics last night of the crane 'nested.' The outriggers do not stick out any further then the outside of the tandems...pretty much dead even, so no odd looks or hassles there. I did have to mount them a little differently than stock as I mounted the outriggers ahead of the crane and on top the frame since I couldn't very easily mount them under like on the HEMTT's. Way too much room lost...plus that pesky driveshaft in the way. On top of the outriggers are two black tanks. The lower tank is the oil reservoir for the crane, the upper will end up being a larger displacement air tank fed by an on-demand York pump on the engine. Remember I'm running Hydro-Max braking, not air over- anymore.

Oh, the last pic is of a nice stocker duece truck I came into. I've had 7 deuces total now and this is the fastest stock engine truck of them all. Blows smoke, almost as powerful as my crane truck with the CAT...minus the crane. It's a lot of fun to drive and pulls a full gear higher then my buddy's deuce.

Motorcycle foot/ankle/ranover...yes. That wasn't fun. Insurance company stopped playing ball so I had to go after them. Old lady "Yoda's Mom," had minimum insurance so basically got bills covered. Physical therapy, cortozone shots, PT again...ankle still not good, then surgical debridement where they 'scoped' my ankle, PT AGAIN...then when they went in they got too close to a nerve bundle so my foot has pins and needles about all the time. Nice. I can't tell the weather yet so that's a plus- :-D

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the images! A lot of work to mount it midships, for sure. If you were to do it again, would you place it behind the bed (as originally intended)?

Barrman

Since "Blue" is now the crane truck, what is the name of the new truck?

As always, you teach us some new way to use a part most of us would have not even considered. Good job on the truck Tom.

spicergear

Thanks Tim! New truck may end up being called, "Smoke." It really is a good runner. I've done well so far not trading it for a 5 ton even though I have a 475hp 'Silver 92' Detroit and 13sp RoadRanger BEGGING me to be put into one of those. Begging, I tell you! Going from the 240hp NHC to 475hp out to be friggin' awesome. ...but I'm really trying to hang onto this deuce.

Bjorn, yeah...probably not. I wouldn't want the rear access to the bed blocked off like that. I know I'd end up with about two more feet of bed available but I still have the tail gate to put down this way and I feel better about the solidity of the frame with it having the outrigger one side and the truss for the tandems not far from the other. I can't reach as far behind the bed this way but it sure is better than not at all. If I were going to do anything differently it may be mount the crane base and outrigger tube basically butted up against one another to gain a little lost room there. I'm pretty happy with it otherwise. Those outriggers make nice bead breakers too- :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks