• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMMT Tire - Putting in tubes?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Anyone ever put tubes in HEMTT tires?
I have several tires that continually go down, so thought I'd tube them...

Thanks in advance...

Special T

Most mv wheels dont work well with tubes. They key to slow leaks is figuring out where its happening. Hot soapy water is the best way to find out. Likely it either the o ring or the valve stem. Either case you would do much better to keep your tires tubeless.

acme66

I put in a tube at the recommendation of a heavy truck tire shop. It lasted almost exactly 36 miles before failure. Just my experience. Ken

Special T

Normal tube type wheels have a slot for the valve to come out the wheel.. mv wheels have a round hole for a tubeless valve. Part of the issue with putting a tube in the mv wheel is the hole does not line up well with where the stem is. Many of the leaks are right at the stem due to flexing at the stem because of the location.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself if I went to all the trouble of breaking the tire down to tube I would just get new O ring and clean up the rims and leave the tube out. The advantage of tubeless is if the tire has a small puncture hole then we just run a sheet metal screw in the hole and air it up. You can not repair a tube without taking the wheel apart. I have run a sheet metal screw for one week on a dump truck running out of the quarry. I don't know if you can run it that way but a tube rim needs a flap also so my bet is .02 no flaps for those tires.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the old style valve stems with the 90 degree extension that may be your issue if not the o-ring. All 3 of my slow leaks were due to those extensions losing their seal and they're not easy to replace. Break it down. :x

ReoRider

Been fixing a couple of slow leaks on 16:00's recently, and in each case there was a badly positioned O ring issue. As noted by others above, pull apart the wheels, clean up O ring surfaces and carefully install a fresh ring of the correct diameter. Different wheel types require the 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2inch sizes.

An additional advantage of tubeless is the ability to adjust tire pressures without the concern for the shifting of the tube/flap relationships.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had a tire leak at the bead on a hemtt rim with 395 tires. I had some beadlocks waiting to go in, so I broke it down, put the beadlock in, and no more leaks!

When you put everything back together, use tire soap or lube, it keeps things from bunching up and they go together much easier for you. I use it on the rim seal too.

Special T

There are a couple of products that could work well on the o rings. Slip Tac and Bead Sealer they kind of resemble rubber cement but made specifically for tire work. They help adhere rubber o rings and beads to metal. I have used beaf sealer to help seat hummer tires before but think slip tac may work better just in the valley of the oring gutter to help hold the o ring in place. Torque sequence is important as well. From the clock face 12,6,9,3 & so forth but not cranked tight right away. Doing so in 2 stages will help keep the o ring in the gutter and not squirt out.