• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMMT to Deuce adapter plate mounting.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed.... (and despite the added weight I would use no less than 1/2" for the plates, made of AISI 1020 or better steel)

On the other hand we need to keep in mind that HEMTT wheels are rated at 13,000 lbs, to run 53" tires off-road, on a vehicle that weights 18t empty and 28t loaded.

G.

Unforgiven

G.

You seem to know quite a lot about the trucks. What is the viability of adapting 5 ton hubs to the Deuce spindles? Is it possible? I assume they are cast iron. Could specialty hubs be machined from high-grade steel for a reasonable price?

Unforgiven

Yeah, I've read that thread a few times.

Ouverson uses Aluminum Billet. I'd prefer steel.

I would be willing to pay $500 a hub if it avoids the problem of welded/recentered HEMTT rims.

Gearhard engineering does it by welding a complete 5 ton steering knuckle to the axle housing. But he wants over $3K per axle and it doesn't even have provisions for brakes! It also requires custom shafts.

ApopkaFL

Banned
I read a thread earlier about mounting the plates in the HEMMT wheels. The plates could be mounted on either side of the wheel for the fronts. There was some debate about this working correctly but I didn't see much resolution. 99% of the wheels I see are mounted with the plate on the back side of the wheel. Are you guys switching the studs to something else or using the stock studs and just knocking them out and reinstalling them like a bolt?

If not, let me know what you are doing. I'd rather the plate was on the backside of the wheel but I don't want it to be some sort of issue down the road. The plates I am running came from Roger Spurgeon out in Ohio.(probably spelled that wrong) The holes for the studs are larger than the pressed in shoulder of the HEMMT studs, that's why I ask.

The way this is put together is what I am talking about:

I did my rears like his too.

That rear tire looks like its been reversed? Meaning the rim is turned backwards

ODdave

But all that pressure is located on the outer circular bolt ring. The original HEMTT rims have both halves clamped via the lug studs as well.

That means all the stress of the rotating tire goes through the adapter plate all the way from the hub to the outer bolt circle.

Don't get me wrong. I think Mike did a fantastic job with the plates.

But if it were possible I think using the HEMTT 10 lug pattern to further clamp the adapter & welding the inboard side of the rim to the adapter would be much stronger. The radial distance from the 6-lug hub to 10-lug holes is significantly smaller. There would be less potential flexing of the adapter plate under highway-speed turning. There's a reason why wheels are pressed instead of welded from mild steel.
In response to your last comment......you do realize that the outer rim half on the hemmit wheel is welded right?

Unforgiven

The weld that connects the central face to the "rim" with the lip that actually supports the tire is often welded, even on factory rims. But the pressed faces do not flex nearly as much as mild steel does. In addition, those welds are robotic welds ... highly controlled QC-wise. Also note the "rim" weld is between two perpendicular pieces of metal. Welds within the central face are not. Flexing and metal fatigue need to be addressed.

5 ton hubs would solve all of these problems.

ODdave

You need to just buy a 5 ton. I can only assume you have been reserching the shi* out of this so i must ask, how many rim failiers have you found with the recenters? Also i seen that you wouldnt run auminum hubs? Why not? autocars ran them and they carried more weight empty that a deuce could maxed out. Have you looked ate 10 lug f-106 hubs? will they work?

supertech

I guess the search engine has out smarted me. I have seen a CAD drawing on making a adapter from a 6 lug deuce to a 5 ton hemmt wheel. I am needing to make some from my project. Help plz.