• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemmt Wheel Questions

shannondeese

I am picking up a set of Un-Cut HEMMT wheels on Mon and want some advice from the GURU's around here. I have access to a water jet machine and have a new set of centers being made right now. What I need to know is. Where do I cut on the stock HEMMT wheels to remove the old bolt pattern. Also when I install the new centers how are you making sure they are exactly center. And not going to wobble. Thanks.

ivbeenrokd

My HEMTT wheels are at the machine shop right now getting worked up. He rough cut them out with a torch and then used a lathe to make a nice clean and true hole. also used the lathe to make the new plates. I can get some pics of the finished product when I pick them up this week.

Stalwart

A friend of mine made a step in both the center and wheel on a lathe. As I recall, he had about .008" runout after welding, WAY better than stock.

tonka tester

?

what about having holes drilled in the new hub plate for the bolt pattern of the beadlock and sandwhiching it? you would still have to cut out the 10 lug pattern, but no welding required..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
what about having holes drilled in the new hub plate for the bolt pattern of the beadlock and sandwhiching it? you would still have to cut out the 10 lug pattern, but no welding required..
That would only work in a crappy mid-western state!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Just kidding. I think it would allow for too much play, but maybe not. You would also have to find a BUNCH of longer studs to hold each rim together. Lots O money right there.

Edit: that wouldn't work as it would keep the air tight surfaces apart.

eldgenb

no not between the two halves, behind them... the first thing that the studs would go through
you would still have to cut out the 10 lug pattern to get the hub through the center, all that idea eliminates is the need for welding which in my opinion has a much better looking finished product and a ton cheaper than sourcing longer wheel lock studs to hold it all together.

I am actually doing the same thing with the hemmt wheels I picked up. I going to knock out all the studs from the rim and will drive them through the 1/2" adapter plate that I am having water jet cut. After cutting I will bevel the holes for the lugs on the drill press. The water jet will also cut out the ten bolt pattern out from both halves of the hemmt rims. It will be a nice clean operation and the orginal studs are plenty long for the 1/2" adapter plate. With the three pieces of steel being sandwitched together and the hemmt rims O ring still sealing as designed I am not even going to weld them. I will add pictures after process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks