• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hemmt wheel torque specs

bobbed818

Getting ready to mount some 395's and was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs for the valve stem and the main bolts. Also should the o-ring be lubed to keep it from cracking?

Stalwart

Valve stem: 175-200 in-lbs

wheel bolt torque: Tough one, you need to almost read the TM 9-2320-279-20-2 Tech Manual Pt 2 to believe it!

Tighten all bolts no more than 1/4" at a time until halves meet, tighten to 75-100 lb-ft using a 12-6-3-9 o'clock pattern that shifts around till all are tight. Then tighten them in the same pattern to 450-500 lb-ft. Same torque value once again starting at 12 o'clock and one at a time clockwise. Repeat one more time at the same 450-500 lb-ft.

Now aren't you sorry you asked?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
seriously,do you really believe that the shop personal would followed that procedure, it will be more like put the air wrench to it, when it wont turn no more, its tight

Stalwart

If they were smart, they might do something close to it, those are BIG steel wheel halves that can run at 100+ psi! It isn't quite as bad as it seems but if you don't want a leak from the o-ring or a catastrophic failure you might want to do something that resembles it. That wheel is mounted to a tire that has a weight rating just shy of 15,000 lb. each that experience some pretty incredible stresses that no highway truck will ever see. If you're putting 'em on a deuce or 5 ton, taking 'em all down easy and torquing them to 200 lb-ft is probably fine, just not on a HEMTT in service.

I didn't see lubing the o-ring in the TM, I might have missed it. I'd just grease it a bit . . .

Look, that is what the TM said. Don't shoot the messenger, or next time why would I bother to spend 15 minutes getting what he asked for :roll:

bobbed818

Mounted two this afternoon. Went with the 3/4" pnuematic impact approach. Looks the same as the quarter turn way I'm sure. One leaks air pretty bad where the seam is welded on the lip. Guess I'll take it back apart tomorrow and figure out what the problem is. In case anyone is wondering, I weighed the tire and wheel before mounting. The wheel weighs 150lbs, 395 new weighs 210lbs. Simple math says heavy combo. I'm going to weigh an 11.00 tire and wheel combo tomorrow to see the difference.

Stalwart

I just had fun torquing the lugnuts today, that was fun, I was holding the extension for support and found my wife doesn't weigh quite enough to get the 600 lb-ft for the fronts with a 42" long torque wrench.

My suggestion: Use an impact, just a small one with a lower torque setting and bring all the bolts down together for the last little bit, the first part isn't the critical part. Or you could pick 4 bolts 90 degrees apart and bring them down in steps, once they touch bring the rest down to them and proceed.

bobbed818

I pulled them down little by little with the impact in a cross pattern until they were all snug then got them all tight with a 3/4" impact. I think I'll put a torque wrench on them just to see where they're at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks