• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Availablity

4trans

I was just wondering if anyone knows if/when HEMTTs will be available wide spread kinda like the 5tons are on govliquidation. I know Oshkosh is completely rebuilding them for two-thirds the cost of new and updating them to the current version, but will they make it onto surplus. Or if it will take them being replaced for that to happen

Stalwart

What you're really asking is. "when can we buy 'em dirt cheap."

At least initially, they won't go cheap, they would be too desirable to various industries. They are being used as remote firefighting, and would be good for logging operations and other industries where a capable 8 wheel drive is desirable. I was bidding against a guy that would have turned Damon's hard work into a wrecker. :evil:

4trans

They are highly capable thats why a lot of industries/mv owners want them 60% grade with a fuel tanker being towed behind it plus highway speed capable stock.

greenjeepster

I don't think they will ever get surplused out. Osh-kosh has turned a large part of their business into "glider kits" even in the civilian market. Most concrete mixers on the road today are 40 plus years old because osh-kosh rebuilds them all... as the technology updates they make the updates to the truck the next time the truck comes in for a rebuild...essentially they never become obsolete.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you will find anything but the really rough coming out surplus. With that said, I bet some will come out that can be built. I was building an M978 fueler before I found my now-gone M977. I have since found an M983 tractor and I plan to own that for a while!

4trans

Thank you thats what i figured at least until something replaces the hemmt completely which probably wont happen because they are great trucks

FrankUSMC

I think I have enough parts here to fill up a pick up truck. I think they go to the HEMITT. They were won on a GL bid, the guy just wanted the seat, some one else was going to get the rest. Never came to get them. Free, if any one wants the parts. I am in Newport, NC.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Stalwart

Thanks Bruce, now that the bed sides are done I'm altering some stock bows to make it so I can lower the center right bed side without pulling any bows and leaving the new canvas attached. That way I can load passengers or use as a cargo truck as intended. I'm also making it so the bows can be stowed in the front of the bed when not needed and not spoil the overall look of the truck. My plan is to make it so 2 people can errect the bows and add the cover in less than 5 minutes. Rather than lashing ropes, I'm going to use that rubber rope they use on the newer 5 ton covers.

Frank, could you take some pictures of what HEMTT parts you have?

4trans

This is the site i found one on its been on for close to a year Vehicles Page1 the most desirable things on them are the axles because the rest of the drivetrain is replaceable with civi versions of Detroit Engines and Allison Transmissions but they do look awesome even better is one pulling a GLCM(ground launched Cruise missile) BGM-109G TEL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks