• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemtt Camper...

Jones

Did the math...
150 gal. fuel tank = 300 mile range (As per TM9-2320-279-10-1).
Diesel $4.35 / gal. = $652.50 / fill up.
Trip miles unknown so let's toss out a figure of 9,960.62 miles ( 2/5 circumference of earth)
(I'm assuming it's going to be a round trip; wouldn't make sense to leave the HEMTT camper there and take the bus home).
That comes out to 33.2020667 stops for fuel at $652.50 / stop or $21,664.74 for fuel (not including chips and sodas at the check-out counter).

And this is only if fuel prices don't go up between now and the time he leaves.

Garret

Thanks for that Jones! Luckily on secondary roads if i go 45 to 50 i get closer to 4 mpg. The 300 mile range is very conservative and was figured over all sorts of rough terrain fully loaded on the specs sheet. I'm sure if i am in deeper sand areas or rougher stop and go conditions i will probably only get the 2mpg.
Definitly going to need some sponsors either way! A fuel company like shell, Exxon or BP would be nice.

JDToumanian

Be sure to post pics of the finished project..... I may not like it, but I still want to see. I just tell myself that there's no hole you can drill that I can't weld shut. :cool:

Garret

Stalwart- hope it makes yours more valuable- i am in it for the use value not resale value. Did you end up getting the one with the grey interior and crane? If so it came out nice!

JD- I hear you- we may have to weld up a couple ourselves - sometimes work in progress back tracks a little to get what you want in the end.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the guy who sold them the truck. Sad to see if modified, but he paid the price...he gets to do as he wishes. The guy is going to be driving down through Central and South America...taking a boat to Africa...and then continuing on up through Africa, the Middle East (should be fun) and onto Europe.
If he takes that thing into mexico it will never be seen again! What is done for security on expeditions?

Last edited:

jpinst

The sad thing is that HEMTT's are so hard to come by, even if you have money, especially in that kind of condition. Yeah its his truck and he can do whatever, but you would not be saying that if he wanted to be buried with a priceless work of art, would you?

That truck may not be a work of art, but that sure is destruction at its worst.

Garret

Opcom, The original plan was to do 5 continents with the rig, but that was with a lot of sponsor and govenment support and security through the various countries and actually skipping the middle east and going from Europe east through Siberia and back to Alaska which was the starting point. Money constraints for now changed things to plan b in which we are using it for our adventure company as a base camp for various expeditions mostly in the western US. The new hybrid Hemtt would be a better platform for that trip and we would still like to make it happen in the future. The truck as it sits now is not finished and was a compromise to get it usable- at least it is getting used and not collecting dust. I agree about mainland mex, but baja is still doable- i have driven the entire peninsula numerous times in a variety of rigs.

Garret

jpinst- In my view the sad thing is having a vehicle like a hemtt and not using it to it's potential. Our conversion is not finished yet and is not the ultimate for us, but it is useable as a base we need it for. The truck will be accessing remote areas for adventure sports. It will be used in terrain that it was made for and it will not be buried as you say.

Jarek M

jpinst- In my view the sad thing is having a vehicle like a hemtt and not using it to it's potential. Our conversion is not finished yet and is not the ultimate for us, but it is useable as a base we need it for. The truck will be accessing remote areas for adventure sports. It will be used in terrain that it was made for and it will not be buried as you say.
That's what I'm talking about! I shouldn't make unfounded assumptions. You go Garret now make some videos with our iron to rival all the good stuff coming out of Eastern Block!

deuceaid

Banned
I have always wanted to do a hemtt rv conversion.....the the first thing I would do is get ride of that NOISY trash truck detroit 2 cycle diesel AARRGHH. I would put a cummins and 13 speed in the rear, and conversion cab in the middle.....oh well dream on,some hemtt is better than no hemtt at all.

Garret

Yeh the tatra was appealing but i'm glad i went with the Hemtt for parts and service- detroit and allison are close and american made

Garret

Thanks- i will get some soon- heading out of Colorado May 11 for a western tour of spring skiing using the rig to camp as high as it will get me. Look for some more pics in about a month!

Stalwart

Why get rid of the Detroit? With a little soundproofing in the back of the cab my HEMTT is quiet inside! Roll up the windows and there is no need to to talk above normal conversation that you'd use in a modern Diesel pickup. Cummins are not any quieter, they just make sound at a lower frequency, that is if they have a proper muffler on them. My HEMTT is by FAR our quietest MV while driving, all the rest require ear protection, with the possible exception of my Scorpion, which has mostly wind noise.

Garret, did you or the prior owner switch the transmission oil back to ATF from the 15W-40 the military used? If not, don't expect the transmission to last too long!

Garret

Stalwart, I agree on the 2 stroke Detroit- mine is fairly quiet from the inside as the previous owner insulated the cab. They are also proven workhorses. And yes, the trans oil is atf- I think what the military used did not do as well with higher oil temps. Is your Hemtt the one with the grey interior? I thought it sold awhile back after it was fully restored and maybe you got it.

deuceaid

Banned
Why get rid of the Detroit? With a little soundproofing in the back of the cab my HEMTT is quiet inside! Roll up the windows and there is no need to to talk above normal conversation that you'd use in a modern Diesel pickup. Cummins are not any quieter, they just make sound at a lower frequency, that is if they have a proper muffler on them. My HEMTT is by FAR our quietest MV while driving, all the rest require ear protection, with the possible exception of my Scorpion, which has mostly wind noise.

Garret, did you or the prior owner switch the transmission oil back to ATF from the 15W-40 the military used? If not, don't expect the transmission to last too long!
Well, the Detroit is wide ( I want a narrow inline 6 , makes more space) and not a 2 cycle, and it would get a little better milage.

Stalwart

Well, the Detroit is wide ( I want a narrow inline 6 , makes more space) and not a 2 cycle, and it would get a little better milage.
I see, spend LOTS of money for 1 perhaps 2 mpg, how many miles would you have to drive it to replace a perfectly good running Detroit with a used engine. If you put in a new one, you'd NEVER get your money back. Thats not to mention adding a 13 speed in the rear of the truck, like 25' long linkages do you? How about adding another pedal to the cab, another hassle. So in short, you take a proven and reliable design that has proved it's worth for 30 years, and throw that all out for a little fuel . . . . rofl

Plus, you'd never get that Cummins between the frame rails at a height that would do you any good to provide more room. The 855 Cummins and it's Cat. brethren aren't exactly small and narrow. They are at least 5' tall!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks