• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT info, just passing it along.

Gunzy

Read this. This is why you likely will NOT see the return of HEMTTs to DRMO auctions as Q6 demill (EUC Item) until 2020 at minimum.
On 19 June 2015 Oshkosh Defense announced the U.S. Army had awarded the company a five-year requirements contract worth a potential $780 million to Recapitalize (Recap) its Family of Heavy Tactical Vehicles (FHTV). The FHTV 4 contract covers an estimated 1,800 FHTVs and in addition to HEMTTs covers PLS trucks and also includes the production of ...approximately 1,000 new production PLS trailers. HEMTT models account for around 75 per cent of the Recap potential, and all work performed under the contract will be completed in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Deliveries will run from 2015 to 2019. In March 2016 Oshkosh received FHTV 4 awards valued at $430 million and covering the Recap of 1212 HEMTTs and PLS, plus the production of 345 new-build PLS trailers. Deliveries are slated for 2016-2017.[2]
Since 1995, Oshkosh has worked with the US Army to restore in excess of 12,000 heavy vehicles.[2][6]
To be Recapitalized, used vehicles are returned to Oshkosh where they are stripped to the frame rails, and then fully rebuilt to like-new condition. Recapitalized vehicles are assembled on the same production line as new vehicles, and put through the same performance tests and inspection procedures as new vehicles. The latest technology and safety upgrades are included in the process, and Recap'd vehicles are returned to the Army with a new bumper-to-bumper warranty

Gunzy

MK48s aren't being rebuilt but are coded the same as HEMTTs so if you see any at auction they will be likely Q3 scrap contracts. :(

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MK48s and their kin were retired and replaced by the LVSR (MKR15/16/17 et al), so as Gunzy said, no rebuild program there.

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This doesn't mean they will come back and be available and not scrapped.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1212 units said to be rebuilt but with "HEMTTs models account[ing] for 75% of this" making the total 909 units of 27,000 HEMMTs produced of all variants not including trailers..so roughly 3.4% of total fleet for the 2016 FHTV IV contract. I looked into the current distribution of models to see what the % of A0 HEMTTs is but the best I could find was "Since 1995, Oshkosh has worked with the US Army to restore in excess of 12,000 heavy vehicles" though this may include HETS and etc. Even if we were to assume all 12,000 units rebuilt were HEMTTs rebuilt to A2 or A4 status and any new production units were done the same that would make for a 6% A0/A1 fleet rebuild. I haven't found a break down of the variants or models to get a more accurate count of the units eligible for rebuild or estimates of those left after contract. These numbers can get tricky as articles are vague at best.

Going over the HEMTT and FHTV contracts this seems routine for the Army; rebuild a thousand here and a thousand there with extensions for additional options if they want to grow the fleet. Oshkosh is capable of knocking this contract out ahead of time based on their production numbers in the past for recaps and new production. I can't imagine new PLS trailers taking too much time to build in comparison to stripping and rebuilding a HEMTT from the ground up, plus it says "slated 16-17 delivery" so they may already be done with that portion. 1800 FHTVs over 5 years plus for the 2015 contract is easy for them so 1212 units + 345 trailers is just as easy.

I'll hedge my bets that there will be plenty of A0 units left in the system for surplus with a possibility even before 2020 though this largely depends on if the Army exercises additional contract options. Personal sources indicate that bulk of those vehicles being rebuilt will be cargo handling variants with few tankers, wreckers, etc in the mix. I do know for a fact know we are downsizing our tanker fleet by FMS. A few hundred M978 tankers are getting new tires before sale to Israel as we speak, as I bought the tires off them before they shipped.

tl:dr - Business as usual. The only guarantee is there is no guarantee, speculation has always been "we will never get them" but then look at HMMWVs, Goats, Mutts, etc ...HEMTTs?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Little Birdie informed me that there was a cease inbound for rebuild order in place. Meaning the ones you see sitting on the GP lots or other places will be there for a bit. There were 17 at RRAD in their back lot that had been drug out and awaiting pickup. Last time I was there the MaxxPro Wreckers were dragging them back to the back 40 to sit and rot im sure.

Gunzy

Currently ALL MK48/HEMTT/LVSR/PLS and like vehicles are demill code Q3 (mutilation/scrap), so that would have to be returned a Q6 (EUC required) before they can be returned to DRMO for public auction as anything other than a scrap contract. Does anyone know what procedures are to change demill codes?

red

Currently ALL MK48/HEMTT/LVSR/PLS and like vehicles are demill code Q3 (mutilation/scrap), so that would have to be returned a Q6 (EUC required) before they can be returned to DRMO for public auction as anything other than a scrap contract. Does anyone know what procedures are to change demill codes?
Paying off the right general or getting some of the 'fraud, waste, and abuse' financial problems in the military corrected.

snowtrac nome

ive always wanted a hemtt with the noisy road oiler they just sound nice, with the hemtt you hear just enough of the noise to appreciate it. maybe some day when I don't need it to make money with

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks