• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT M977 Tire Change

QNA

I am looking for information related to changing the tires on the on a HEMTT M977.

In particular, the recommended process for doing so and any recommended tools (impact guns, jacks, jack stands, etc.)

This forums looks like a very knowledgeable place so I'm hoping I might be able to get some help on the matter. Thanks in advance!

Stalwart

The nuts holding wheel halves together have to be torqued to 450 ft.lb. and the front lug nuts 600 lb.ft. and rears about 525-550. As bbf stated, have a tire shop do it unless you have a REALLY big torque wrench. I do my own but I'm crazy . . . . :???:

jimmcld

I put HEMTT tires and wheels on my 816. They're not too bad as long as you don't ever lay them flat. They're a b**ch to stand back up, about 450 lbs.

QNA

Thanks for the responses so far.

How would going to a tire shop with a military truck work?
For torquing I was looking to get an impact gun to do that for me.

Does anyone know the size of the lug nuts on the wheels?

Last edited:

Stalwart

You don't "go to the tire shop" they send a truck to you with all the tools. You need a 1" inpact gun and a HUGE air supply. I torque by hand, I only use impact to snug things up. If you fail to strech the studs all the nuts will back off several turns in a mile or so . . . don't ask me how I know this. I'll go out to the garage and check the lug nut size.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't really need a jack or axle stand, just run the other tandem up on big blocks 'til the flat one just floats in mid air - like the "ramps" they sell for those horsey types with the double axle trailer.

Get a 3/4" or 1" drive impact on 3/4" hose from an air pig which can be fed from your onboard Emergency line. Then you may be able to change a wheel without waiting for the recharge on the tank - but others should amend this statistic.

Your truck have the tire crane/derrick/davit for lowering the spare?

QNA

I have a 44,000lb floor jack and four 22-ton jack stands as well as the correct size impact wrench. It looks like the easiest place to put jack and jack stand is the rocker arms between the wheels. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone know if there is a better or safer spot to place the Jack and jack stands?

Stalwart

A jack under the walking beam is just fine. I thought my 610 lb 20 ton floor jack was big . . . I've seen bottle jacks bigger but not floor jacks. My 20 ton vs. a 3 ton floor jack . . .

Attachments

bbf

i try to change out a tire on my mk48 with the jack the was in the truck just could not break to nuts loss had a 3/4 inpact had to call a tire shop to with truck 180.00 later i was back on the road

ZZ4x4

Keep in mind the left side LVS lugs are reverse ( left hand) threads. Not sure about your rig. I broke 3 wrenches with my breaker bar before I figured that out aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks