• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT M984E1 Wrecker on the mend

Stalwart

Damon got mine for $26,000 on eBay and had added $35-40K more into it when he sold it to me. I've since added another $10K and it's still not quite done. I still need to remake the engine "doghouse". We aren't cutting corners with this one and hence the high cost. I had some soldiers (HEMTT mechanics) from Ft. Lewis give mine a "once over" at the Arlington Airshow, they said it was the best truck they had ever seen.

paradeduty

Hey Stuart!!

Does this mean that you and/or your wife would like to join our Support Group??

If you're still not done with that truck - I think you do need to join!!

Just kidding - the work that you are doing is very cool - and then getting to use it to set the quad-50 (sniff, sniff - I'm jealous - mine is just keeping the grass from growing in about an 8' x 35' spot!). Very cool pictures. Not that it taxed the HEMTT MHC at all, but just wondering - about how much does that quad weigh anyways?

Truck looks great. Not surprised at all that the military support guys appreciated the excellent work. Damon is sure one guy who appreciates "detail". My brother drove truck in the Army in Germany and he has said similar things about the condition of our "collectible MV's" - "man-these are nicer than anything I drove while I was in!"

Great to hear from you - make sure you take care of that very understanding wife of yours! We need as many of ones like her around as we can get! One great gal - I think you said that she "insisted" that you get the HEMTT (at least that is how I remember the conversation between my wife and me!!).

Talk to you soon, Dave.

P.S. - online meetings for the HSG (sorry - HEMTT Support Group) are every sixth tuesday of the month. Appropriate MV accompanyment required! Fresh SAE 30 required!

Dave.

Last edited:

MAJOR

Dave, many thanks for your very informative reply to my request for info on how to go about finding one of the HETT's. you take care, and the best of luck on y0ur project. Ray

d

paradeduty

Hey Ord22,

Well, been pretty darn slow - I am in construction and everyone is running around like crazy trying to get as much done around here before the freeze (Michigan). I did finally get the 6TL batteries to take and hold a charge so believe it or not I am heading over to the truck shop this morning to put some proper batteries in her (had 4 65's to put in her but the cables are EXACTLY just long enough for the 6TL's - tried but no budge). That way the guys at the shop can move her around and such without a bother. I just know that if I waited till I had the "spare time" to do all of the general maintenance that she probably should get before she does much driving, that it won't get done before the snow flies - and then it will sit till spring or I will get impatient and start to play and hurt something - then it will definitely have to sit for a while - better safe than sorry.

I'll keep you updated, Take care, Dave

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Dave - just picked up on this thread... wow, am I pleased for you and naturally envious. I've been collecting M984E1/A1 manuals for a while, since I too think this is the ultimate wrecker and would dearly love one.. I think I am more jealous of you than my mates in the UK, Nick runs two M1001's and Foden wreckers commercially, also Chris who has a WWII Pacific M26 and trailer M25!
Question, how is your state for "wrecker" endorcement on a CDL - does it apply if you are towing HV's I wonder? I know here in NY, initial roadside recovery DOESN'T require an endorcement, however secondary towing - i.e., from wreckers yard to disabled vehicles yard or repairers yard does! I guess this is to not restrict an imediate accident recovery - blocked road etc, if the dedicated driver is off duty, but a mechanic or other CDL is available. So, "keep in" with your local state troopers and they may have to call on you in a pinch then the next time when you are parading look the other way :wink:

With my 1 ton cab over airbourne wrecker, it kind of slips under the radar!

Keep up the restoration, love more pics and Keep em rollin.

Howard

Last edited:

Rescue101

8-92 is a VERY simple diesel.basically a fat holed 8-71 with a few other changes.....once you 'GET' how they work.......BIGGEST issue is setting the rack correctly. Unless someone messed with it you shouldn't have to touch it to get it running. SHOULD be 2 shutoffs,one electric and a Manual EMERGENCY one.If the Emergency has been "dumped" it won't start.

big block 88

8-92 is a VERY simple diesel.basically a fat holed 8-71 with a few other changes.....once you 'GET' how they work.......BIGGEST issue is setting the rack correctly. Unless someone messed with it you shouldn't have to touch it to get it running. SHOULD be 2 shutoffs,one electric and a Manual EMERGENCY one.If the Emergency has been "dumped" it won't start.

Dude old thread! Grave digging...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that against thread rules? If so im sorry i didnt know. I just have been looking for one for years figured id take a shot
NOPE! It's not against the rules to perform a miraculous resurrection of a "dead thread". Sometimes, the OP just got too busy to keep us up to date on their progress. In fact, it is my personal opinion that audience participation not only keeps the topic alive, but probably also motivates the OP to stay focused on completion too.

Thanks for poking this one with a big stick. Lets see if it moves now.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey what ever happened to this truck is it finished, sold, dead issue id love to see new pics
Most everything he gets, gets finished . I'm not positive but I think he sold it , I know he had it listed on here a couple years ago . You could always send him a PM.

big block 88

Is that against thread rules? If so im sorry i didnt know. I just have been looking for one for years figured id take a shot
nope. I just like to call out grave digging when i see old threads.

I was thinking this truck sold a while back. I drooled over it then looked in my wallet and moth flew out. So no go for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks