• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT M984E1 Wrecker on the mend

tm america

ER . . NOPE, a tubing bender will NOT bend that thickness of pipe, roll cages are made from thin wall tubing compared to that. They would fail pulling out a 60,000 lb loaded truck! You can make something that LOOKS like it, but not one that actually works for such a large and heavy vehicle.
i'm just gonna be using mine for my deuce maybe a 5 ton at the most..Empty of course.. I'm thinking 1/4 wall tubing 3/8 plate for the flat stuff i can cut all the plate on my plasma table and have the place i get my metal bend the metal and tubing.It will be an easy build i just need the correct proportions and angles so it functions properly.If i ever had the money for a bad arse truck like this one i would be able to buy a correct anchor to...

Stalwart

Look, I didn't have it made, it came with my truck! I do know who made it and with the MASIVE toys he has at his disposal, it was still difficult. This isn't about money, it was about talent and equipment that I don't, nor do many members have access to. I've considered a plasma table but a CNC mill and a proper lathe are first in my book. I surely wish I had one!

TM you are on the right track on materials! I have a commitment to bring at least 4 vehicles to a rather large event starting with a move-in starting next weekend (think of something as big or bigger than the MVPA Nationals). When I have time I may make the dimensions available but I'm not going to make any guarantees, I have to check with the person who actually made the improved device.

Elwenil

I think you underestimate the average rock crawling fab shop, lol. Yes, building something like that would not be a problem for the larger shops with a roller and press brake.

Danger Ranger

That is so wrong! ( in the bad term/meaning).... I cant believe I am from california, and I find it wrong to put a 2 cycle trashtruck motor into a good old JD,,, I know,,, I have driven and wrenched on a 4010 and 4020 for some time ........

..........( but I DO HATE the split-center ground 24 volt system on those tractors)....... ( JD electrical engineers:evil: had to be smoking more than cigs to make that!!)
I don't think JD engineers were smoking anything at the time....the New Generation tractors were so far ahead of their time that it completely blew all of the competition out of the water! No one had the comfort, reliability, or durability that these have. We have a 4020 and friends have a 4010, 4320, i could go on. But as much as I hate seeing one modded like that, because there are so many plain 4020s, in this one I like to see the unique things. Detroits aren't just trash truck engines either, that is what we are trying to say. They are in everything from back then, and last enough to be used still. Sorry for the book. lol.

paradeduty

Hey Ord22,

Nope, no problem. No news. A few more parts to get - the little guys are the hardest sometimes. This all has to happen between work and keeping things screwed together around here. Ran some power (100 amp service) from the Model Train Barn (200 amp service) to the Truck/Trailer Barn. Been putting it off for too long and I am going to need artificial light in there one of these days! As I was going to be around here all day anyways, finally got a good price on 21AA crushed concrete from a local yard so I had 100 yards dropped near the Truck Barn so I can tote and spread it inside the barn this weekend (come on good weather!). Never did have anything close to a "proper" gravel floor in there. Time to clean out the barn anyways. As far as the HEMTT, in an attempt to be realistic, my goal this summer is to just get the old girl moving on her own power (not that much else can move her anyways!). Thanks for checking and prodding me though! Dave.

coecamo

Great find I think HEMTTS are fantastic trucks I live in Canton Twp if you neen extra hands PM im available on weekends.I know what large parts are like My classic car is a PETERBILT semi tractor Gary

paradeduty

Way Cool, Gary!

Got to love the Civy tractors, etc. - No such thing as too much chrome - unless you are following one at night and your headlights keep blinding yourself!!!!!

What is between the seats of that Cab Over Pete??

Have you seen that Hot Rod that Jay Leno bought off the builder - I think it is called Pissed-Off-Pete?

I think it is running a V12 Detroit!

I'll get in touch with you soon about tapping your wrenching skills - really appreciate the offer.

Take Care, Dave.

paradeduty

I can't remember what he put in that hotrod Pete - do they make auto's that can take the V12's, etc.? or do you have to stick with the stick (HA - I'm so clever!) when you put that much torque in front. I knew a guy who raced a cab over semi on the dragstrip. It had a twin turbo cummins all chromed out. He said that he souldn't find anything but a manual trans that would handle it. Even then a clutch would only last a couple of runs. He had to "bob" the rear end down to just a single rear axle because the tandem rears would oscillate between each other (hoppping?) on "takeoff". I never got the chance to see it do her stuff. Because of its visibility for advertising, I guess the guys from Cummins would come down to his shop (they painted semis to pay the bills) to "tune it" for the races. I have heard of guys "breaking stuff" by getting the wheels hopping getting a heavy load moving on soft ground, so maybe the rear end problem is not unheard of.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
Talk to DaveP (m819) and citizensoldier (M816)

I have seen them with trucks on the hook here in Michigan.
Don't know how legitimate it is but I have a friend that has Log/Farm plates on his personal use rollback.
Michigan "Wrecker" plates are $200 a year or $110 for 6 months.
Your inurance underwriter will be the one to ruin your day
As I am sure that if you had our camper deuce on the hook behind the Hemtt with historic plates, that not a LEO in the state will question it.

Oh and yes it would be awesome to see that on the Camp Grayling Fall Color Tour!!!!!!

paradeduty

Thanks, Bob

That is kind of the goal that I am hoping for. The other is that one of these years the MVPA might have a national show in Michigan and I thought it might be cool to bring the prototype 5-ton HMTT that TACOM built circa 1975 and this production HEMTT both to the show. Hey - all it takes is time, money and a little too much insanity. Unfortunately, the "time" to work on it is in direct conflict with the "time" required to earn said "money"!! The "insanity" part my wife says I have more than enough of! Well, what's life without goals? My wife just ran out this afternoon and picked up a nice set of 5 original Kenworth cab marker lights to replace the missing/worn ones on the 5-ton HMTT. Although it is always too short, it is a good day.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Bob

That is kind of the goal that I am hoping for. The other is that one of these years the MVPA might have a national show in Michigan and I thought it might be cool to bring the prototype 5-ton HMTT that TACOM built circa 1975 and this production HEMTT both to the show. Hey - all it takes is time, money and a little too much insanity. Unfortunately, the "time" to work on it is in direct conflict with the "time" required to earn said "money"!! The "insanity" part my wife says I have more than enough of! Well, what's life without goals? My wife just ran out this afternoon and picked up a nice set of 5 original Kenworth cab marker lights to replace the missing/worn ones on the 5-ton HMTT. Although it is always too short, it is a good day.

<imagine the Karate Kid's mentor saying...>

Ah, yes, Life IS all about "balance". You are learning well, young WeedWacker!

:D

Flat Black

FIA race trucks are mostly cabover trucks running water cooled brakes, engine amidships (low and behind the cab) and having 1100-1300 hp and 3500-4000 pound feet of torque.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt8d9lZFnw0[/media]

Many of them have "auto-sticks" which is like a bump shift or paddle shift in a rally or formula one car. Mike Ryan runs trucks at Pike's Peak and several other events and has a Freightliner Cascadia with a 1600HP Detroit Diesel. His previous truck was a twin turbo Mercedes V6 diesel backed by a special ZF "auto stick" transmission. The new engine makes about 3000 foot pounds of torque in race trim and gets used at Bonneville also.

An 8V92 is no power house by any means. With 335hp and about 1000 pound feet of torque from a nine liter motor, you should have no problem finding an auto or manual that will work. Check ZF and Eaton/Roadranger or talk to a good diesel truck shop.

****, a 12 valve Cummins 5.9 will make 335/1000 with a few VERY simple mods, that is nothing for power really.... I cant imagine how much of a turd a 60,000 pound truck would be with 300hp and 1000 pounds of torque....

Sounds like you are taking your time and doing it right, looking forward to following the build.

Definitely agree with those who have posted about knowing the codes and statutes, you cant trust the cops or even the judges to know them all. What is written in black and white, along with the implementing regulations is what matters. Spend an afternoon at the law library or court house if you have to doing some research. It will save your butt if you are going to travel in your privately owned automobile upon the public right of way. ;-)

Last edited:

paradeduty

Hey Flat Black !

Thanks for putting up that video - very cool. I have seen some of the offroad challenge type races with the 8x8's etc. in europe, but I had not seen the "oval track" racing. Holy **** - checking out the smoke/steam (did you say water cooled?) pouring out of the lead truck's front brakes. Man - I don't care how big we might think these MV toy trucks are - these "professional" trucks are BAD TO THE BONE! I just think that it is amazing when you get the horsepower/torque to the point that leaving the shifting to an automatic is the only way to go. NASCAR might be one thing - but doing similar in a truck weighing what these have to be weighing in at (even though it is most probably "light" for what it is) and with the power required to be competitive. And then to do it with some measure of "safety" in mind - just the sway bars must be insane to keep the front end roll down to what it was in the video. As far as the "legalities" of use ...... I agree with you in full - quite a few days of "fact-finding" I can see in my future. And then, as others on here have done, all gets copied and put in a binder and slid "between the seats". I am a firm believer in "if you don't have it - you will end up needing it .... but if you already have it - you most likely will not need it". I have found this to be so with many a classic car part over the years. Ended up buying a whole NOS front clip for my 70 Caddy Coupe some 10 years ago - still havn't hit that deer! I have sold Caddy parts to others who have gone deer hunting though. Anyways, I would rather make some copies now than pay the towing and impound fees on a HEMTT Wrecker!

Take Care, Dave.

MAJOR

DAVE , It does't look like you will be having to much couch time. I enjoyed your pictures as i have been interested in picking up one myself, but I have yet to see one on the GL Auction site, and was also wondering what a ball-park figure for one mite be. wishing you the best on your project. Ray

MAJOR

DAVE , It does't look like you will be having to much couch time. I enjoyed your pictures as i have been interested in picking up one myself, but I have yet to see one on the GL Auction site, and was also wondering what a ball-park figure for one mite be. wishing you the best on your project. Ray

paradeduty

Hey Ray! They are a cool vehicle. I have always had an attraction to the 8x8's. This is the fourth Military 8x8 I have owned. I did get this one off of Government Liquidation almost a year ago now. I was under the impression that 99.9% of them were being sent back to Oshkosh for strip and rebuild - so I was unbelievably surprised when it showed up on the bid list (and I havn't seen one since). When it comes to items such as these, it really is supply and demand. There will most definitely come a day (just as with all things) that these trucks are basically too old to "restore" effectively for actual heavy use out in the field and there will be many of them joining the bid lists. But if the original run's life is any example, they started building the production models in about 1982 and mine is a 1986 and obviously some were built new after that, so for a round number, mine is now 25 years old. If they get anything close to the same life out of the rebuilt ones (the rebuilt ones have almost everything new and a new vehicle warranty) they might not start hitting the auctions for another 20-25 years. I know that patience is supposed to be a good thing, but I would have kind of liked to get one while I was not too old to twist a wrench (at least a BIG wrench)! Such was my reasoning to get into the auction in a serious way. There have been a few that have been for sale since I started looking seriously again about 3 or 4 years ago, but three that I can think of off the top of my head that at one time were available (Stalwart's Cargo, BKubu's Tractor and the LVS Wrecker in Virginia that I think someone in California bought) were both in MUCH MUCH better shape than mine - but they commanded a higher price tag as well (and were worth every penny in my opinion). It is no great secret as it was a public auction, but I ended giving up 25K for the HEMTT Wrecker. And then 4K for loading and shipping. Just remember - supply and demand - if the supply is basically nonexistant and the demand (relatively speaking) is fairly high, the price will reflect it. I gave it as good a looking over before the auction as I could, and basically there wasn't really one thing on the truck that did not need at least some "tinkering". But at the same time most of the things, with the exception of one or two, were not really all that bad - definitely some time and money on each one, but nothing that couldn't be handled without major issues. The other one or two (one is a choice issue) will require some saving of pennies and "professional intervention" (even past the BIG wrench). I thought a wrecker variant could be cool since, although I was not and am still not sure, I would think that the number of HEMTT wreckers built relative to Cargos and Tractors and such had to be fairly small. Some folks think that I am NUTS for paying that much for it, but that was the decision I made to get my project underway within my lifetime. Anyways, if a fixer upper is available, I would say that it will probably be in the neighborhood of 20 to 30K depending on what it needs and its condition. I think Damon (who rebuilt most of the one he sold to Stalwart) mentioned that he paid over 20 for his on ebay and it needed quite a bit of attention (I am open to corrections here). If a mostly complete one is available, I would say that it would probably be in the neighborhood of 50 (needs paint, tires, PM but in good condition) to 80K (for the "DON'T TOUCH" truck with all of the toys!). Hey, I'm no expert - but these are just some "don't be surprised" numbers. And, as others have said, be prepared with the checkbook and your mind and priorities made up - if they are out there, they will go fast. And there is really no rhyme or reason as to where they "mostly" pop up, either. Just get the word out to folks you know and trust and who would believe that you are serious. And if you get in at the lower end as I did, be prepared for a lot of parts searching and fabricating. I have had the rig for almost a year (during which I have almost constantly been researching and gathering parts) and I am just now getting to the point that I think I can start realistically "putting things together". Mind you, I do have a full time plus job - and it is not restoring military vehicles! I wish you the best in your search and let me know if there is anything I can do to help if you find one. I think we need to start a HEMTT Owners Support Group............"Hi, my name is Dave and I own a HEMTT"......(everyone)"Hi, Dave.".......HMMMMMM - the more I think about it, maybe it is our wives who may need the support group! Take Care! Dave.

Last edited: