• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemtt mk48 fpu

Gunzy

Why are the MK48 HEMTT FPU's no longer being made available for sale through GL? I have been told that GL is selling them all back to Oshkosh for overhaul/upgrading to be resold back to the military. Is this true or is there another reason that will be clouded in hearsay like with the HUMMV? Inquiring minds want to know and a green addict would like one. Right now all I have is a brand new in crate cab assy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How is the HMMWV clouded in hearsay? It's well known they're on the demil list. It's known that AM General caused them to be on the demil list. The only hearsay is the constant "they're going to make them available to people again" statements that have never proven true.

The military can have any number of reasons to halt sales. They've done it with the HET from time to time as well. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now that China has the commercial hummers, how do we get them to start selling the HMMWV's in complete form now? I almost got sick the last time I was at Camp Ripley, there were rows of HMMWV's that were going to be chopped up back from overseas.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So now that China has the commercial hummers, how do we get them to start selling the HMMWV's in complete form now? I almost got sick the last time I was at Camp Ripley, there were rows of HMMWV's that were going to be chopped up back from overseas.
headbanging.gif

RDUKW

From what I have been told is that someone that bought in the first round of trucks got in a serious accident. At that point the government pulled the plug on selling the MK48 to the public. I'm sure some high powered attorney got involved. These are not a vehicle that every joe should have. They do not have normal road manners and have their own quirks. I will let people drive my deuces and 5 tons but the LVS no one gets to drive because it requires a lot of skill and attention.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These are not a vehicle that every joe should have. They do not have normal road manners and have their own quirks
When I was at Fort Benning in the late 80's the Marines came down to do gunnery in their LAV's. One of the MK-48's they had running ammo flipped going downhill resulting in a fatality. I followed a convoy of them down one of the range roads and they were all over the road when on paved surfaces. I drove on when I was down in Florida loading them out and I was not a fan of the way they handle.

Hoefler

Wreckerman,
you drove mine and claimed it was like driving a slinky! It is at first, but after some seat time, one can readily control the truck. The truck is like an airplane-anybody can take off in a plane and fly around a bit, but to an untrained flier, few if any can land a plane. Practice and planning are key to being safe in an MK.
It's a 45 mph machine and is more at home off road. Taking turns to fast and things get interesting in a hurry. It's not a daily driver, but more of a special ride. My MK serves only volunteer time.
my two cents worth.
pete

DrillerSurplus

I missed this thread until today. GL has sold a few more MK48 FPU as scrap requiring mutilation- no parts harvesting, etc. A while ago Sandcobra posted that a bunch of MK48s in Albany were scheduled to be used for target practice. The trailers (RBU) sure have been going cheaper than they used to though.

sandcobra164

DS, I said they were going to a bombing range in Nevada. They made the ride and if you want to talk ¨Waste, Fraud, and Abuse¨, they were Condition Code ¨A¨ depot overhauled Front Power Units. One more reason we are broke. I don't think Oshkosh is buying them back as they had right to first refusal from what I know. They didn't care for them and no other friendly country wanted them as well. They are a challenge to drive until you get used to them but I never heard about one being in civilian hands being in an accident but I don't hear everything so it's possible that it has happened.

Hoefler

John,
You did good as that rig looks new.
Notes for you-check to see if you have the remote for the operation of the hoist and winch. Also, a couple of members have issued a word of caution on the front detachable K-member. Apparently there have been instances where they came off due to operator error-striking the operator. Be safe an enjoy the coolest MIL truck on the planet.
Water temp gauge-I think they run higher than actual temp. Mine was showing over 210 degrees. I un-bolted the front doghouse panel and used a heat temp gun to measure-guage at 210 was more like 188 right at the sensor and all around the water pumping areas. I drove mine with the front cover off and found it to be very loud.
They start easily with just two batteries.
Dont get the middle area of cab wet-the top panel in front of dog house has electrical terminal strips. I took mine off and found a lot of sand beneath it. Simple vacuum cleaning made her nice and tidy.
Enjoy the ride and practice makes perfect. Weird to drive at first, but then not so weird. Its fun to drive it well.
She is not a truck for cup holders!
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks