• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Parts

paradeduty

Hey Guys -

Just checking to help with my searching -

Does anybody know of anyone with one of the HEMTT "Spare Tire/Wheel Lifts". I think the Manuals acually refer to it as a Spare Tire Davit. It basically is a pipe bent at about a 90 degree angle with a manual winch on it for raising/lowering the spare to/from its stowage location on the passenger front fender of the HEMTTs.

Any ideas or leads would be great!

Take Care, Dave.

paradeduty

Thanks GR,

I have seen the 900 ones around - matter of fact I think I still have an ISO bed and spare carrier in the classifieds for sale (don't know if the carrier is complete - came w/ the bed).

This one is for a HEMTT restoration that I am hoping to get my teeth into this summer.

Been spending the bast many moons tracking down all of the this and that I know I'm going to need. Some of these types of things kind of end up in the "no one will ever have a need for this pile" or worse the "have no idea what it is so we will scrap it pile".

I will keep it in mind though, thanks.

Dave

paradeduty

Hey Wreckerman!

Yup - I've already talked to Ted some time ago about some other items - I will have to get to checking with him on this one.

Trust me - there is a list for sure - but I can only focus on one or two things at a time while searching if I am going to keep my head into my work as well (I keep looking for the "free" parts so I don't have to work so hard - can't seem to find them!).

Quite a few of the parts are somewhat unique parts - I have actually had a few of them purchased or re-made from still to be assembled parts by the original manufacturers that made them for Oshkosh. Kind of a cool process.

"Excuse me - do you have a record of producing this (insert NSN number here) part? Oh, you did - are they still available....excellent, you have the parts available to make 2 more units.....could you give me a number for one of your local vendors for purchase......etc, etc."

Thanks, Dave.

paradeduty

Thanks, GR.

Gets to the point that as much as I would like to conquer this challenge on my own, sometimes you have to ask for help from the rest of the troops. The stuff is around out there, just has to be found before it makes it to the scrap pile.

Dave

paradeduty

Hi DrGreg,

I think that is pretty close to what I'm looking for. Very likely there is more parts in your "kit" than the pictures show. What I think I am seeing in your pictures is the bottom "cradle assembly" that the spare tire/wheel sits in on top of the passenger fender. Your's might even be a newer version of the carrier as it looks like the "davit mast" might be integral to the cradle on yours. (again - just from the pictures) The "davit mast" on the "older" series is a sepparate assembly which (you guys are going to love this - what a nightmare of production) is actually part of/an extension of the #2 axle passenger side shock absorber frame mount. Threw me for a loop at first. They dumped a pallet of them on GL a bit ago, but that part is still there. What I am looking for sits on top of the "mast" to lift and pivot the spare off/on the carrier.

Good snag though - they might have had to compress the design for later models to make room for other equipment between the frame rails or something.

Thanks, Dave

paradeduty

Hi DrGreg,

Thanks - is the one that you have off of an A3 or A4 or PLS or such monster?

Looks totally different (except for the actual spare tire/wheel cradle) than the ones that I am familiar with. Looks like it might be a different engine application than the detroit 8v92ta? The exhaust on mine runs horizontal behind engine - the one in your pictures runs vertical at the spare that you showed - HMMMM. Didn't they change the new ones to a CAT Diesel or something? Plus, they must have done a lot of squeezing for some reason because the hydraulic oil tank is on the totally opposite side of the truck, too. Yours shows right in front of the spare tire/wheel where mine is on the driver's side behind the air cleaner. Interesting.

Anyways - I can babble on way too long.

Thanks, Dave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks