• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Question

Saving_Time

I was wondering why I don't see many threads when I search for HEMTT's. Are they not old enough to be sold as surplus?

I saw some youtube videos of a guy who bought one as a wreck and rebuilt it himself. Does anyone know how he acquired that?

Thanks!

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
everything from oshkosh gets sent back to the factory to be rebuilt, but some have managed to get surplused.

but be prepared to spend around $50,000 for a running one.

Saving_Time

Thanks for the reply! That information is quite helpful.

What are the other vehicles in the HEMTT's class? The only thing that comes to mind is the Tatra 813. Possibly the MAN KAT. Are there any others?

(if anyone knows where to get good information on the above mentioned, that would be great)

oldMan99

Thanks for the reply! That information is quite helpful.

What are the other vehicles in the HEMTT's class? The only thing that comes to mind is the Tatra 813. Possibly the MAN KAT. Are there any others?

(if anyone knows where to get good information on the above mentioned, that would be great)

What sort of information?

I mean are you looking to purchase something like this? If so, for what use? What kind of budget do you have in mind? What country are you going to use the thing in? (All of that matters and will help others provide not just general information for you, but information useful to you.)

Are you just wanting the various vehicle specifications, (like engine size, type of trans, axles, vehicle dimensions)?

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
HEMMTs are in the same MV collector class as armored vehicles......very expensive to own, operate, maintain and obtain.

Very few of them have gotten out the door in one piece.....most of the ones out there were built from salvage trucks unless they were prototype vehicles that escaped the torch.

I think Oshkosh did sell some to civilian or other government agencies mostly as fuel tankers or fire fighting vehicles. I could be wrong about that...could have been lateral transfer among agencies.

With an unlimited budget you can collect anything....most of us just have to be happy with the smaller stuff like deuces and 5 tons.

If it is just tech specs and information you want Google is your friend. All of that info is out there.

If faulty memory serves me we have a least two members that now have or have at one time owned a HEMMT. Lucky ^(*%$^%#'s.

Saving_Time

Sorry I should have specified. I am just interested in learning about these 10 ton rigs. What stumped me was why 10 ton rigs are so rare, not just the hemtt. I couldn't imagine that the operating cost alone would deter so many enthusiasts, so I concluded that they must be rare for another reason. Now I know why the hemtt is rare at least. Thanks!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
augiedoggy,

Update, just to keep the info straight.
Damon, DMA251, was the previous owner and builder of that rig.
Now Stalwart & wife are the proud owners.:drool:

mcmullag

Oshkosh trucks

Like someone mentioned above, Oshkosh has a program where the old trucks get sent back to the factory and run down the line again getting all the new updates, saves the taxpayers a lot of money. Oshkosh has some great websites with pics and vids and all the info you want on all their different models.
one of 'em is Oshkosh Severe-Duty Trucks for Defense, Military, Army, Marines, and Air Forces : Oshkosh Defense

and another Oshkosh Corporation - Our Leading Brands

oh, and http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/products/14/het/17/m1070a1

Tatra video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHaj5bDSgRA&feature=related

Last edited:

Saving_Time

I've done a little bit more reading. I was wondering how the MAN KAT M1000 series relates to HEMTT's? Were they used in different eras, or at the same time? Did they fill the same role? What are their differences mechanically? Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks