• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT rims on M915 series

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
reb87 did this with his mixer chassis he put a grain bed on. Looks incredible. I would not put the big tires on a 915A1 with the Allison. The 1st ratio is not low enough as it is.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have been mulling over the super single idea. Using the HEMMT rims with civy street tire super singles......of course I could use civy rims too but that would defeat the purpose of using what I have. I am a cheapskate in that respect.
I think the 915 would look badazz with a wider stance and singled out.
Unless your are going to haul heavy loads the gearing issue prob won't be an issue.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where would the clearance issues come from? Would flipping the hubs help?

Stock tires on the M915 series are 11R22, surplus replacements, using the 20 inch rim, could be 395/85R20, 14R20, and 16R20. Heights of the above tires:

11R22 - 44 inch
395/85R20 - 46 inch
14R20 - 48 inch
16R20 - 52 inch

Would these replacements work for this tractor?

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes this was my question... the front on the M915 & M915A1 is very low compared to the "off road trucks" M916 & up. So maybe width could be a problem, not so much height. At least according to your tire chart.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes this was my question... the front on the M915 & M915A1 is very low compared to the "off road trucks" M916 & up. So maybe width could be a problem, not so much height. At least according to your tire chart.
Would the larger tires be a better fit for the M916-M920 series rather than the 915?

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK multiple clarification questions....

The transmissions Allison & Cat.

Which is better and or why... Faster, gearing, ??? I got that the service issue on the Cat maybe of concern but put that aside.

I am looking for road speed more than the 6x6 or 6x4 availability. Although as said before the M916 with big tires :twisted:...I LIKE :-D. But road speed would suffer on the M916 yes? I want to cruise at 75. My long term goal would be to take it to shows and other functions just like a regular motorhome (after I steched the frame and added the RV body). I just do not want to buy a civilian truck and militarize it in looks. I want it to be USGI and civilianize it a bit. Thoughts?
THANKS!!!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only 915 series that will go 75 is a M915 slick with the Cat transmission. Agreed everyone? The axle ratio is 4.33 in the 915 and 6 something in the 6x6 and 8x6. That eats up all the overdrive in the 16 speed.

The flaw with your plan is the Hendrickson rear suspension. Without 60,000 lbs of weight on it, your RV box will be rattled to pieces. So now you are looking at frame stretch and rears change? Too much trouble.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
With the 400 turned up to 2300 rpm and Cat transmission the M915 will run 85 MPH.......according to the Convoy Commander that had to run 95 ( in a CCCV) to catch me and a couple of other 915's that we convoyed to Ca.
He was not impressed with our diesel doctor skills.:oops:

reb87

The Hemmt wheels have clearance issues on the front of the 916-920. They have 24 inch wheels on them and the 20 inch hemmt wheels are too small for the brake drum. I used a grinder and took off the back driveshaft and ran the truck in low gear to grind the front drum down a little. The inside flange(open end) of the drum is extra thick and that is what I had to take down. The hemmt wheels should fit the 915 trucks as they have smaller drums. I dont know about the tires hitting on fenders etc though.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks