• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemtt rims VS. stock deuce rims for 395s

number9

Truck looks good - I like the stance you got on the front with them in under the fender and not hanging out. That was one of the reasons I didn't want to go with the Hemmit wheels, but I like what you've done with them a lot.

I need to find me some 395's to mount on my truck someday [thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The pic of the front tire is misleading. It looks more tucked in than when you see it in person. Not sure why. Its not a bird nest, I put it like that. I have not needed to use my winch to self recover, just to rescue others. The sheer pin pops too soon and I need to look into why, just been doing other things.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not a bird nest, I put it like that. I have not needed to use my winch to self recover, just to rescue others. The sheer pin pops too soon and I need to look into why, just been doing other things.
Yea, I figured it was something like that. I just haven't aggravated you in awhile so I figured I'd throw it out there. :D

By the way, nice wheels. You going to Knob Creek? I'd like to see the wheels in person. ;)

Wozdirt

I love the look of the new wheels and tires.

Can you tell any difference between the XMLs and the XZLs?

I currently have XMLs on hemmt rims. they have a fair amount of dry cracking and I am considering trying to find some XZLs to replace them if they get worse.

I like the looks of the XZLs better, but I'm not sure if there is much difference otherwise.

jollyroger

Yeah, the thimble keeps the rim spaced off the hub surface. That allows for the studs to break. I had 4 snap on my driver side front one wintery night and it was not fun. I recommend you take them off. I use the thimbles to hold my rear tires on so I have something to step on if I need to climb in the bed from the side of the bed.
Oh Crap!!! That's getting changed this week. Thanks.[thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

I have only gone on a quick test drive. These are not a noisy as the XMLs is all I can tell right now.

Ty, I got too much to do to get ready for the Ga rally. I doubt I will make it to the shoot.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks eleven million times better than it did with the stock rims. :D

gimpyrobb

Yes I believe it does look better. I never needed them, but the holes through the stock rims offer more recovery options that I wish these rims had. Oh well, I think I am still better off.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck does look a lot better with the new rims. If ya quit hanging out at some hillbilly mower race, ya would get more done!

PS, good having ya...

jollyroger

Yes I believe it does look better. I never needed them, but the holes through the stock rims offer more recovery options that I wish these rims had. Oh well, I think I am still better off.
I was remiss about not having the rear duals to use as a winch also when I singled mine out. But.......I had not used that feature anyway so.

My truck drives and runs better on and off road singled out with the 395's so I'm not looking back. The only reason I have not converted to the HEMTT wheels is that I need the narrow track to get into and out of hunting camp.

Varyag

Man, those look good gimp. Did you have to take off the rear mud flaps to get them in there or is that part of a different
funny story?

You guys are getting me all set for taller tires.

gimpyrobb

So some times it is smooth as silk, sometimes it bounces a lot. I am going to play with tire pressures a bit, but wanted know what balancing options you guys have used(and liked).

s1036s

since Gimpy bumped this, I want to let ppl know there is an alternative to these overpriced hemtt converted wheels. Call Longs wheel out of florida, I got an over the phone quote for 20x11 wheels at $235. Any lug pattern and any backspace. Also shipping was 410 ish for 6 wheels. About 68 a wheel but that was from florida to washington state. You could find better shipping on uship.com (or ??) and you may be closer. Just letting people know.

These wheels are solid 1/2" centers with no design in them. This isnt what the thread was originally about, but o well.