• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT Title needed

ratfink

We have restored a HEMTT and we are now in need of a title for it. It is an 8x8 with a Cummins engine and a Twin Disc transmission. We would like to get a clean title from a HEMTT that is no longer in service. If we can’t find one, we could use information on how to register it through proper channels.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Mike
(262)554-0640 ex: 3746

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The first place I would start would be your source for the truck. If that has no hope I would contact Oshkosh trucks to see if they have any information on it and lastly go to DRMS to find out the disposition they put on the truck. PM me with any questions

ida34

What would using a "clean" title from another vehicle do for you. If you use it you will not have a legal truck as the paperwork is not for your truck. Changing data plates is a felony in all states. Most states have a bonded title that they will issue after you post a surety bond and have a vin check by local law enforcement. I know this will upset several other people but changing a tub on a jeep requires you to get a new title. Are the data plates on the dash with the vin a vin plate? I can see both sides of the argument but before doing it I would send your state attorney general a clarification letter to see how he or she sees it.

My point, tread lightly when getting a vehicle titled. Do the right legal thing and avoid any hassles in the future. Remember, having a swapped vin is a felony and does not require the state to show intent. Merely possessing a vehicle with a messed up or swapped vin plate is a violation of the law.

I love HEMTTs and drove them in the Army. They are really fun to drive. Good luck with your title issues.

Jones

I've done a number of barn fresh antique vehicle restorations and here in California we have a procedure for resurrecting titles. Your state may have similar steps you can take.
Look into your DMV procedures for "lost or destroyed title".
You'll need a bill of sale showing that you're the legal owner and statement of facts form(s) stating that the original paperwork has been lost-- indicating that the vehicle is all original and unmodified (this one's important so you end up with the correct model year and not paperwork for a "kit-car" instantly turning your classic into a 2007 vehicle requiring compliance with all regs for new vehicles)-- and hasn't been operated on any public roads since the registration lapsed. VIN will need to be verified on a DMV form by a sworn law enforcement officer (not just a police department clerk). Locate and clean off all numbers so that the officer doesn't have to go hunting for them and be polite and helpful in answering his questions about the vehicle.
Following the right steps will give you legal title to YOUR vehicle.
Any of the number switching schemes can and often do result in; arrest, impounded/confiscated vehicle, loss of the vehicle if the court finds against you. AND, it's hard to enjoy MVing from a jail cell... especially if you end up with a 300# cellmate who prefers to be called "Estelle".

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have to say why would you even start the restore until you had a title? It is just too much of a risk of losing all your time and money restoring it if something goes bad in how it got to you. I hope it works for you that is a sweet ride.

Welcome to SS.

ratfink

Thanks for the comments. We are currently looking into the options our state has to offer. They certainly aren’t going to make it easy. One of the problems is making sure we maintain the high GVW so we can use it for how it was meant to be used.

Our truck was put together from at least two trucks. The tag on the door indicates the date of manufacture to be 8/86.

I realize there is a lot of debate on this issue. If a vehicle is built from a combination of many vehicles, who is to say which part designates the vehicle's certification number; the body, the engine, the chassis, or the donor vehicle which the most parts were used. We are certainly not trying to break any laws and our vehicle was built with all new or legitimate parts. I also don't want the government to be involved in areas they don't need to be. If I have a legitimate vehicle and a legitimate title, why not use them.

M1075

Michael, I know of some HEMTT chassis that may come with titles. Let me check. Is your truck a USMC version with articulation? It is hard to tell with that grainy avatar. Please post up some more pics when you get time.

Jones

Michael, go with the VIN on the frame you're using. All paperwork traces back to it. You wouldn't worry about the VIN if you changed out a hood or tailgate... same with bigger components like cabs and beds. Just keep all your receipts for the major pieces and parts to show if asked. Only thing I've ever run into is having to lead DMV by the hand so they don't wander off the path.
If you have questions, PM me if you like.

Capt.Marion

I'm glad my keyboard didn't short out with all the drooling i've been doing. I've always, I mean always wanted a HEMTT. Be careful, when you go to the DMV office, the folks that inspect it may piss their pants...

OpieNoTool

You should be able to walk into the seceratary of state with the vin number and vehical discription and apply for a lost title cost $15 in the state of mich. I know wisc. does the same thing because my dad bought a semi from a man in wisc and he had to apply for a lost title so he could transfer it to my dad. If you go to a main branch you can normaly walk out with the title instead of waiting 2 weeks. I applied for a lost title on a pick up i bought from a guy and sense i was not the orignal buyer they sent an officer from the sheriffs dept. to run the vin # and to make sure it wasn't stolen and just gave me a piece of paper to take to the SoS saying it wasnt stolen. hope this helps

dma251

I don't know about California, but in Washington it's USUALLY fairly straightforward to get most titling issues handled. I know there are companies that can offer their services for folks who are having difficulty licensing vehicles that the state gives you grief about. I believe the way they work is by licensing the vehicle in states that are more document-friendly, and tehn transferring back to the state that is harder once new documents are issued from the first state. It's how grey-market vehicles get licensed without passing safety standards. It's shady, but legal.

look into that. There is always a way to get it done. One way or another.

ida34

Another word of caution. If you used more than one major component from more than one vehicle most states will require a state issued vin to be applied as the other vehicles with the other Vins do not exist. You have created a totally new vehicle. When you start changing cabs from one vehicle to another this is usually triggers this. Boyd Coddington got in a lot of legal trouble a while ago because he would get something like a 32 ford then he would strip it down and use another chassis and body, change the engine and drive train, and such. He would then use the title from the original 32 and title it as a 32 instead of a 2005 32 ford replica. I am changing the cab on my F-350 because it is rusted out. I will be creating a new truck but because it is not distinguishable from another 89 ford truck then I can still have it titled as an 89 ford F-350 but I will need to get a new state applied Vin and new title. The old title and Vin would no longer be valid. You could probably do about the same thing but let them know you have created the truck from pieces and the process will probably be easier. Be ready with receipts to show where you got all the major components when they have law enforcement inspect it.

Side note: The vin number on most 80's and newer vehicles are located in around 17 places on the car with one being a confidential vin that is hidden and mostly only know to law enforcement and insurance people. Who knows how many places the vin is on the hemitt but if you tell an officer that you lost the title and he starts finding more than one vin on the parts he may get real suspicious and impound the vehicle for further inspection.

Jones

Because of the big market and interest in classic/collector vehicles; as far as California is concerned, if all of the major components are HEMTT then it's a HEMTT. Only very late (200?) vehicles have the VIN on all major components.
As Chuck stated above, where we would run into trouble for example is; '32 Ford roadster body on an after-market tube frame with Chevy running gear and a late model V8. Then it stops being a '32 Ford and becomes a "kit-car" with it's year being the year of completion; therefore subject to any equipment requirements for a 200X vehicle; smog & cat, minimum fuel economy standards, airbags, passive restraints, 5mph bumpers, etc.

acetomatoco

I thought all Hemtts were Detroit with Allison... is the Cummins Twin Disc a transplant? by the way, I have a new radiator for a Hemtt PLS.. the 5 axle version... $800... RAM

22b

There is a guy here in Canada who bought four residue HEMTTs from DRMO, had a surplus truck dealer in the US help him store the vehicles until they could be totally dismantled. He then had his father, who owns a semi, go down and load the parts up and export them out of the US without permits, as scrap. Got them into Canada, rebuilt two of them, registered them with Motor Vehicles Branch, and got away with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks