• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hercules Engine Date Code?

18operator

Hey All,
I found these numbers on the side of the engine block next to the starter.
I was just wondering if this is a date code for the engine block.006.jpg
No real reason, just like finding out interesting things about my truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's the casting date. The date the block was poured. It would have been built later.

18operator

Very interesting, considering the vin numbers are for a 1971 truck. The data plate on the engine block is all but a blank aluminum plate. Nothing legible but some stamped numbers on the bottom.
I love finding things like this!

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of them went through an overhaul later in life. Mine is a 69 that was rebuilt in the mid 80's.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very interesting, considering the vin numbers are for a 1971 truck. The data plate on the engine block is all but a blank aluminum plate. Nothing legible but some stamped numbers on the bottom.
I love finding things like this!
We've had about 40 deuces and absolutely not a single one had a 1960s engine. Every single one had an engine made between about 1985 and 1988.

So the story goes.........................................................

The EPA kept giving the military grief about the multifuel. It is a dirty engine, in terms of emissions. The military liked it (even with all it's reliability issues) and they had sooooo many trucks running them and so they kept putting it off and the EPA kept giving them exemptions. Finally, the EPA had enough and said "this is it, you guys have to find something better. How many engines do you need to get you to the transition to the new engine?" and ended up giving the Pentagon an exemption for 50K multifuels. This was in the mid/late eighties.

That is the old wives tale about why practically every deuce has a mid eighties engine in it. There's probably some truth to it since some of that came from David Doyle.

brianp454

I think the switch to emissions is a tangent and not sure what value it has here. I'm all about learning more about each trucks history. There are a multitude of reasons that engine blocks could have been replaced or new engines installed. Mine is a White marked TD for thick deck. This seems to be to correct issues with the top deck and issues with distortion under heavy load.

If you want to make the claim that the multifuel was "dirty" please show the numbers to back it up. I'm not convinced the multifuel was much different than many of the diesels of that time period. I think it could have improved from additional intake timing, injection timing, injector spray pattern, variable turbo technology, etc. Keep in mind this is a purely mechanical system (vs electronically controlled and computer controlled). The development of engine "improvements" would have likely required some sort of congressional approval through the budget. I'm not aware of defense authorizations to pay for such work. That does not imply that it was impossible, yet that it did not happen. We do not know why.

We've had about 40 deuces and absolutely not a single one had a 1960s engine. Every single one had an engine made between about 1985 and 1988.

So the story goes.........................................................

The EPA kept giving the military grief about the multifuel. It is a dirty engine, in terms of emissions. The military liked it (even with all it's reliability issues) and they had sooooo many trucks running them and so they kept putting it off and the EPA kept giving them exemptions. Finally, the EPA had enough and said "this is it, you guys have to find something better. How many engines do you need to get you to the transition to the new engine?" and ended up giving the Pentagon an exemption for 50K multifuels. This was in the mid/late eighties.

That is the old wives tale about why practically every deuce has a mid eighties engine in it. There's probably some truth to it since some of that came from David Doyle.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engines before the mid 60's were gassers, and the 427 was the first diesel. I would guess that the 465's came about out of the Vietnam experience, and the turbo was the first attempt at cleaning up the exhaust on acceleration. So if it was built as a turbo engine I would suspect that it was built in the late 70's or later, and the military had a leaning to stockpile certain spare parts that were in high demand (think engines in Vietnam, where they had to air transport engines because ship was too slow for the number of replacement engines needed). It was one of those 'lessons learned' that probably was not the 'right lesson' learned, but once in the logistics AAR's led to a lot of extra engines being procured. So, in the 80's when an engine needed a new water pump or starter, the attitude was 'swap engines, the mechanics need the experience'. Just my2cents

18operator

When they go through some sort of overhaul, aren't the trucks suppose to get an MRO tag with a code on it and the date of work?

sandcobra164

My Deuce had a new in 1992 Hercules in it. The truck was a 1971 and no data tags or stenciling that would indicate a rebuild of any kind during its life. Last using unit at 1-145th AVN on Fort Rucker and it likely spent the great majority of it´s life in that Aviation Battalion. Clinto bought the winch truck cousin sitting next to it in the same auction so maybe he would remember if that truck had any indications but likely not. Very strong running truck and would still have it if someone did not offer me way more than I considered it was worth. I got some good use out of the truck, only issues were a leaking outer axle seal and a leaking master cylinder over 6 years of ownership. I did tons of preventative maintenance on it though, most importantly tearing down the axles once a year to clean/inspect/re-pack wheel bearings. Inspect also means check wheel cylinders and brakes for potential issues.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When they go through some sort of overhaul, aren't the trucks suppose to get an MRO tag with a code on it and the date of work?
It is very hit or miss with trucks getting tags showing they were rebuilt or reset. There is so much misinformation out there about this, I am not sure what is reality and what is BS. I see so many people advertising trucks saying the vehicle had a "full depot overhaul" and they don't have one shred of evidence.

I suspect there were so many vendors doing rebuilds and resets that there is no standard procedure........... i.e. some trucks got tags and some didn't. If you don't have some paperwork or an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence I.e rebuild tags on every component where the date matches), then you don't know what you've got.

My Deuce had a new in 1992 Hercules in it. The truck was a 1971 and no data tags or stenciling that would indicate a rebuild of any kind during its life. Last using unit at 1-145th AVN on Fort Rucker and it likely spent the great majority of it´s life in that Aviation Battalion. Clinto bought the winch truck cousin sitting next to it in the same auction so maybe he would remember if that truck had any indications but likely not. Very strong running truck and would still have it if someone did not offer me way more than I considered it was worth. I got some good use out of the truck, only issues were a leaking outer axle seal and a leaking master cylinder over 6 years of ownership. I did tons of preventative maintenance on it though, most importantly tearing down the axles once a year to clean/inspect/re-pack wheel bearings. Inspect also means check wheel cylinders and brakes for potential issues.
Let's see if I have any pics of that trucks in the archives.

104_0001 [1600x1200].JPG104_0002.jpgDSC_0157.jpgDSC_0158.jpgDSC_0165.jpg

No rebuild tags on this one.

This truck did have a rebuild tag on the dash:

20140708_192042.jpg20140708_192052.jpg

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked at my Hercules in my '71 109 the other day, data plate unreadable other than the serial number. Block casting numbers as follows:

FS0M28265

18 916

Not sure what to make of it. Any ideas?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks