• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here's My MEP-002A/3A Set-Up

rustystud

001.jpg004.jpg006.jpg001.jpg129.jpg007.jpg008.jpg011.jpg008.jpg
Can you go in to a little more detail about what you used as a transfer switch between the 2 gens and also what you have to do when switching between gens. I imagine anything sensitive in the house will have to be shut down as power will be shut off for a few moments. I was looking at getting an 002a to go with my 004a for when I dont need the extra juice.
Usually what happens is the power goes out, my emergency lights come on (each room has lights that are battery powered) and I go out to the generators. I choose which one to use, and pull the lever up or down on the transfer switch. Then I start that generator and let it run for a few minutes. Then I go inside the generator building and pull the transfer switch to generator. Full power to the house .
I colored coded the cables so I knew what was what. When your pulling 2/0 copper cable you can get confused after awhile ! Yes 2/0 cable is overkill but I was required too. When we finally got power, I was given the choice of 240amp service or 480amp service. Since we are on acreage ( and I have over 60 fruit trees) we are considered a farm so I was given the choice. I chose the 480amp service. Well that means we are now considered commercial property !!! The code for commercial is way different then for residential. The inspector had his way with me, and NOT in a good way :( I had originally ran 1/0 cable, but that did not meet code for commercial !!!) I showed the inspector the 'NEC" book and the proper table used, he showed me the commercial table. When I said this is a residential property he said this is commercial property since we have 480amp service !!! Lesson learned the hard way :(
The transfer switches I used are "GE" 250 amp units. I'll try and get the model number. I believe I spent $300.00 on each. Way cheaper then anything else out there.
I also have battery chargers on each generator (see picture).

Last edited:

Another Ahab

This is how I use my MEP-003A and MEP-002A generators. When the power first goes out I use my MEP-003A, then if the power is still off when it's time to go to bed, I switch to the MEP-002A. This way I can power the whole house.The generators are hocked up to a 250 gallon fuel tank. I also have spin on oil and fuel filters on both units. We lose power on average 6 times a year. Usually it's only for a day (18 hours), but it has gone for over 11 days.
First class set-up; real nice.

Common here in the DC area also, and usually due to storms with wind (anytime of year) dropping trees into the overhead lines.

What kills the power out your way?

FloridaAKM

Here in Florida, hurricanes are the big player in killing power for extended amounts of time. Bad thunderstorms are the next player in the power outages, but they are short lived as the power crews usually get us back up & running in as short a period of time as humanly possible. Tree limbs falling into the power lines & drivers knocking down poles rank down below squirrels knocking out transformers.

The Op's system is an amazing usage of military gensets coupled with civilian electrical switchgear & good old American know how. My system is no where as good or inovative.

rustystud

First class set-up; real nice.

Common here in the DC area also, and usually due to storms with wind (anytime of year) dropping trees into the overhead lines.

What kills the power out your way?
Out here it's usually after a big rain, the ground gets soft then a wind comes and over goes a 120ft Douglas Fir right on the power lines. The most recent event you have probably seen on TV is the mudslide just North of me, that's a bad one. What people don't seem to understand is when you build a road into virgin forest areas your cutting down the supporting trees for the other trees. They all hang together, when some are cut down that leaves a area for the wind to come in and get a good hold on the whole tree to push against, instead of just blowing the tops. Of course your clearing the trees along with the road where your also bringing the power lines !!!