• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey guys, been a while. Figured I'd show off where I'm at with the 1008

Yea I gave up on towing much. My flatbed with quads and gear is about it. I am considering the turbo, just not sure if it's gonna be enough. Maybe just a iOS quality bug block instead.
Before you go as far as swapping motors.... I would look into changing transmissions to a 700r4 or a 4L80.. and doing the turbo... The turbo mod will be a cheap add on, provided you can find a donor in a junk yard and can acquire all the parts...

6.2 and a 6.5 TD is pretty much the same , with small differences imo... the trick is in gearing... the 700r4 has a taller spread between 1-2 but it evens out between 3-4th the 4l80 has the same gearing as the tm400, plus the added 4th gear at .75.. Granted it wont hold a candle to a duramax or cummins but it should still provide enough power to pull what you want... and end up cheaper than swapping it out to a gas guzzling BB. Out of the 3 options, you will have to change the torque converter to match..

You will have to research a bit... you would want a 4l80 from a 4x4... the output shaft is the same as a 400... you can get a 2wd 4l80 and convert it, but they have 2 different output shafts depending on year... as far a computer goes... yes.. you will need that.. or have a manual VB put in, that will take place of computer. downside, is that "you" will have to drive and shift it like a manual trans, but without a clutch... ( ideally you would want one from early 90's 3/4 Van that had a 6.5L.... they suppose to have a stand alone controller that you can make work... but they are EXTREMELY hard to find...) I did a comparison, as I'm about to do the 4l80 install on mine...( picked up a 4x4 4L80 from scrap yard @$100) the cost between the computer and manual VB is roughly the same.. ( est. $ 600.00 or so ) so it amounts to how your going to drive it. I'm going with a manual reverse VB as I can use the reverse feature more on the trail, than "auto" shifting on highway... the difference with normal and reverse VB is the shift pattern.. standard is PRND321 the reverse setup is PRN1234... That and standard torque converter for a 6.5L and an Art Carr style shifter.. and your Golden on the trails...

Not exactly... you will have to locate a 700r4 out of a 4x4 or one from a 2 wheel and change the tailcover... On both, you will also have to change out the rear output shaft.. (27 Spline) costs around $160. but will require major surgery to install... I don't believe hardly any 700R4"s have the 32 output spline shaft.. If you go that route... try to get a later model 700r4... the later generations have better internals... You will also have to get a TV cable and BRACKET for the 700 that was originally on a 6.2l or 6.5l. these are kind a hard to find.. GM Dealers no longer carry it, so you will have to locate one from salvage yard.. Check here in other posts... I've seen threads here on SS where a couple of guys have extras they may be willing to part... Hope this helps....

downrangecop

Hmm so what were saying is it's kind of a pain in the ole posterior no matter which route we go, huh? Well must be worth it. And again a gear vendor has to be shifted by hand? It does kind of sound like a 4L80 with a computer is the easiest way to deal with this. That or some kind of stick conversion (NV4500 perhaps?)

Now with gear vendors... its basically an external OD unit... and it comes with it own controller.. it gives you the ability for auto or manual shifting.. how it works, is it reads your speed and gear ratio and kind a works like a transfer case... meaning... When you are at a stand still at a light, the unit is off.. transmission is in 1st... When you proceed forward, at a certain point halfway through 1st gear, the GV unit will turn on, thus giving the feeling of a 2nd gear ( what its doing is switching from 1:1 to like a 1: .75 or there abouts...) and when the transmission hits 2nd, the GV will switch back to 1:1... and than halfway through 2nd, it will re engage.. The same goes for 3rd... So in a since, from a seat of your pants point of view, it will "feel" like a 6 speed... from a 400... the only drawback, is in the end, you will still be roughly at the same gear ratio as a 4l80.. More research would be needed to find out if, your axle gear ratio, wheel size, and your TM400 will give you what your wanting out of it... I would call GearVendors and ask, the Sales dept. was very helpful when I called them a while back, pondering like you, on which way to go.... I would have went with the GV, but because, I'm in a M1009 and I already have a doubler. there's not enough clearance to add a GV, my Drive line angles would be too Steep with the Lift I have and my rear drive shaft would have been maybe 24" long...lol , I don't believe you would have this issue in the M1008... even with a doubler... the cat's meow would be the 4L80 and a GV.... it act and shift like an 8 speed...:D

Last edited:

downrangecop

found two for sale locally. I think the 95 makes more sense

out of a 1995 subrban 4x4. It has a new torque converter, ran perfect when pulled. No transfer case adapter.
asking $300

out of a 1994 3500 4x4. Leaking front seal. Was slipping when pulled(don't know if it's the tranny or torque converter. no transfer case adapter.
asking $150

downrangecop

Ok sounds like I have some homework to do. I'm looking around trying to see what's the best option that's going to remain as fiscally responsible (CHEAP) as possible. I think the 700r4 is too much effort for a transmission that just isn't strong enough. It's down to the gear vendor or 4l80. I'm going to contact GV and see what they have to say. If that falls through or just plain costs too much, I'll go 4L80. Now if the GV splits every gear, that would essentially make the 400 a 6 speed. That should definitely help with towing, and couldn't hurt off road.

yeah.... the GV are.... kinda pricey... but you can find deals with used ones on... fleabay... Just reuse your TC adapter... it will bolt up.. only thing is.. you will have to have the outer ring of your TC adapter, facing the 4l80 , cut like .060 of an inch that's what i'm going to do with mine.... When you go to bolt the TC adapter to the 4l80... you will see what I mean...... my goal/budget to do my swap is 1g... and from what I can tell... I will be right at $800 into it, barring any unforeseen issues...

cliffyp

It's much easier, faster and cheaper to change the input shaft in the np208 rather than the output shaft of the 700r4. Less than $100 and an hour of your time. The TV cable bracket is the hard part. If you can get that, then the rest if the 700r4 swap is very straight forward. Search this site, there is a member who is having a shop make them and selling them.

found two for sale locally. I think the 95 makes more sense

out of a 1995 subrban 4x4. It has a new torque converter, ran perfect when pulled. No transfer case adapter.
asking $300

out of a 1994 3500 4x4. Leaking front seal. Was slipping when pulled(don't know if it's the tranny or torque converter. no transfer case adapter.
asking $150
I would go with #1 Also, you would want to confirm if it was from a 6.5L, If not the torque converter will do you no good.. and you would have to get one that's made for 6.5L diesel... Maybe able to get it a little cheaper... if you know what I mean....;)

Last edited:

True Knight

Hey Downrangecop, it's nice to see another CUCV in socal! I went with the 4L80E due to it's strength over the 700r4, no TV cable to have to adjust, and with an aftermarket computer controller you can change all the shift parameters and such with a computer to tune to your liking and driving style. Here is a write up I did of the swap. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?64004-The-mythical-CUCV-4L80E-swap

Last edited:

downrangecop

Thanks for all the info guys. Cliffyp I think I'm shying away from the 700r4 as I tow some pretty heavy trailers when I'm going out to play. Still debating between the gear vendor or 4l80 swap. As per usual, the craigslist guy with the 4 4l80's is taking forever to respond. Also found a 4l80 computer out of a 98 k3500 for a 6.5 for $200. Only thing I see is that a 4l80 swap, after all is said and done, looks to run about $2500 - 3000 once you're done with everything. That's about the cost of a new gear vendor, which would split every gear, and for towing the toy hauler, should make all the difference in the world. If I chance fleabay, I've seen them all the way down to 1500. I put a call into GV for fitment and adaptor questions, now just waiting on a call back.

downrangecop

Phew $3400 for a complete GV setup. But it sounds like it will be perfect. Effectively it keeps the engine in its "power band" when towing. It'd also be great to split first and second on a downhill in low range. So many options, and these things are bullet proof. They said they've done alot of work on cucv's, and the kit bolts in no issue. In standard range, it acts just like an OD. Now to set aside $3500 (coincidently the cost of a duece and a half) :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks