• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey Guys! Newbie from TX...

tantrik77

Hey everyone... I've been lurking for a couple of days and decided to dive in. I'm not an MV owner yet, but plan to be in the next week or so. Is it ok to ask some newb questions in this thread?

tantrik77

Thanks for the welcome! I wouldn't want to live anywhere else btw lol...

I usually just jump first and look later, but before I go buy something and get stuck with it, I though I'd ask a few questions. I'm going to start off small, and get a M101 3/4 ton (hopefully). I hope to turn it into a little camper with the help of a buddy who used to be a metal fabricator at South Austin Speed Shop, so no worries on metal work lol. Couple questions:

What are the differences between the A1 and A2? Is it just the surge brakes?

I think I've seen some A1's with surge brakes... Is that possible?

What's the difference between an M116A2 and an M101A2? I know the M116A2 is made to carry a generator right? Are there any dimensional differences?

And lastly, I want one with the 8 on 6.5 lug pattern like my truck... I have a Chevy 1500HD with the 8 on 6.5 lug pattern and it would be great to have the same wheels on my trailer. But it seems there is really no rhyme or reason as to which trailers get which spacing... I could be totally wrong, but I've seen A1's and A2's that have the 5 lug wheels and then I've seen A1's and A2's that have the 8 lug. So what's the deal? Which one should have the 8 on 6.5?

I know you've probably heard these questions a million times from newbs as these trailers seem to be the most sold/own MV, but I gotta start somewhere right? Thanks guys! I hope to be around quite often and gain some knowledge from all of you.

KsM715

What kind of questions do you have? One thing to be aware of is, when you have a question about a particular subject, put that subject in the title line. When you do that the site will automaticaly search for other threads about that and in turn you may find your answer there.

KsM715

M116 is basically the trailer frame with out any bed or box on it. As far as 8lug you'll want an a2 or a3. The problem is that many, many times the military unit may have replaced parts along the way so its very possible to end up with an a2 data plate trailer with a3 parts.

tantrik77

Thanks for the response! They seem to be all mis-matched...

What do you guys think? Are these normally towable right off the lot? How do they tow? Are there some inside dimensions listed anywhere? Finally, are these good trailers and am I headed in the right direction lol?

Last edited:

KsM715

yes, they incorrect descriptions. you can never trust GL's descriptions. You must go preview or at least go by what you see in the pictures.

On a side note SteelSoldiers has rules about posting active or up-coming auctions, you may want to delete the links. Just go to the GL website and save the pics you want to show to your computer then you can show the pics without mentioning the auction.

Darwin T

Good to see another Texan Onboard! :-D from what i have seen the M101a3's have the 8 bolt hummer wheels by design. if the axles were replaced on an a2 with the a3 axles it is still data plated as an a2. i think :?. it will take alot of posts before you learn all the ins and outs. just keep on postin :grd:. use the search before you start posts, if you start a post that has been covered several time, then you will get 5 or 6 posts telling you that it has already been covered.

thanks for coming on SS
kevin

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wlcome from michigan , like KsM715 said try doing the search first , but in my opinion the search feature can be
hard to use at times . Its also good idea to read rules in depth , it seems its mid- winter and there has been a
handful of old timers who would rather chew on the new guys rather than give answers that help .

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard.

There seem to be quite a lot of cross-breed M101s, probably because they are relatively light and easy to swap beds on. If you had an A3 with a bad bed, and stuck a good A2 bed on it, to which the data plate is attached....

There are a bunch of us with M101s in/around Austin, I'm pretty sure you could catch up with one of us to take a close up look at them. Pawnshop has become a veritable 101 collector!

Cheers

Last edited: