• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hey, question about glow plug wireing

84cucv1ton

OK i have tryed everything cant get it to fire. i give up. pissed me off in a big way. so can someone tell me how to make a wireing for the gp with a switch? thanks a lot

acetomatoco

I would suspect that your attitude and language would have offended said truck... There are a multitude of fixes for the glow plug system and they are in the archives of several of the lists... All that you have to do is actuate the glow plug relay manually by means of a momentary contact switch.. However, if you have already tried everything, that means that you have done that too.. Of course the plugs may be fried, but you have probably taken them out and checked their resistance individually on the bench to be sure they are OK...Fuel getting to the cylinders? etc etc etc...then, lastly... in the manuals which all MV owners should have for their trucks, there is a wonderful section on troubleshooting the glow plug system... the Manuals are the TM 9-2320-289 series... ACE

CCATLETT1984

just search the forums for "manual glow plugs" if you have any issues feel free to ask, or catch us in chat.

welcome to the forum, please add your location to your user profile or your signature, it is one of the few things that we require here.
thanks

84cucv1ton

I put that i am in NJ. its there guess it didnt save or something. ill try again. need new wireing i think guys. i did what the tms say and some other people. Everything is new still will not fire. this is all i can come up with.

gt1009

cut the light blue wire that goes into the glow plug control card. It is a rectangular piece of plastic with a bunch of wires coming out of one side. Ground out the side that goes into the card, and take the end of the wire that goes to the solenoid and wire it to your switch.

CCATLETT1984

you dont need to ground out the side of the wire that goes into the card.

wire up the other side of your switch to a good ground, but the rest of the instructions are spot on. Post up if you still have issues and we'll help you through troubleshooting

CCATLETT1984

If the wiring change doesnt work, then you need to check that the glow plugs are heating up, check that the glow plug relay on the firewall is supplying current to the plugs when you hit the button. If you get voltage then you need to start checking the glow plugs to be sure that they are not burned out. you can pull them and just hook a wire to the blade connector and hold it on the positive terminal of the battery and touch the body of it to the negative terminal. If they start to glow then they are still good.

84cucv1ton

OK guess one more time. need glow plugs. OK so where do i get them? if this does not work i will wire my own glow plugs i guess. thanks

Armada

Wellman glow plugs are self limiting, ie. they won't blister if the relay fails and a continuous load is applied to them. They are a much more reliable glow plug the the original AC13G's.
They claim the military uses them. Ok, everybody makes claims... But, two of my cucv's came with 070 self-limiting Wellmans when they were released from the government. So the military does use them. SSDiesel carries them also.

acetomatoco

remember that the original wellmans were bad swellers... Your best bet is still the Chebby dealer for new ones... AC 60G... ACE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks