• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HF radio in 1984 CUCV and RFI problem

Petersan

Hello,
I am a new member here and I recently bought a CUCV from a friend here in Alaska. Its a typical 6.2 diesel and it runs great! I love the machine! However; as a life long Ham radio op I decided to install an HF mobile radio in the truck. When the engine is running a hear a hash sound over the receiver. Its really not too bad ( have had other mobile Hf systems in trucks where noise was sometimes 3 or 4 S units) This is much less then that, but its still loud enough to make hearing weak stations a chore. I believe it is caused by the charging system (maybe the alternator?) Have any of you folks ever had a similar issue? I will continue to unplug things and see what drops off the noise, But if its the charging system then that makes it a little harder.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated

73 Pete AL7PI Wasilla Alaska

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your radio 12 or 24 volt? If 12 V, try switching which alternator/battery you are drawing the power from.
Wouldn't that risk grounding the midpoint of the 24 volt series string? Unless the radio has a floating ground on the neg/common power cable (which I have never seen). Be careful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks