• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi all, some random questions...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and I got yelled at for bringing up the undead beings that shall not be named(for fear of being yelled at again... or something...) ....
You have not been YELLED AT, yet.

Another of our rules you seem to be oblivious to is that we do request you capitalize. We just want basic, 6th grade English to be used(or at least try).

Now, if that was meant to be yelling at you it would look like this.

ANOTHER OF OUR RULES YOU SEEM TO BE OBLIVIOUS TO IS THAT WE REQUEST YOU CAPITALIZE. WE JUST WANT BASIC 6TH GRADE ENGLISH TO BE USED(OR AT LEAST TRY).

Last edited:

SomeWhatLost

Another of our rules you seem to be oblivious to is that we do request you capitalize. We just want basic, 6th grade English to be used(or at least try).
are you sure that is real rule? just checked the rules section and didn't see anything about capitalization...
or 6th grade english...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
are you sure that is real rule? just checked the rules section and didn't see anything about capitalization...
or 6th grade english...
Might want to re-read the rules , it was a easy find .

Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read! Note: this is a RULE, and is enforceable.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to re-read the rules , it was a easy find .

Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read! Note: this is a RULE, and is enforceable.
Edit : It is not really a good idea to poke the bear or moderator.

99nouns

They aren't really daily drivers in winter for the faint of heart. You'll be just about as warm if you ride your bike. Unless you work very hard at sealing all the drafty cracks, then to really make it toasty you could put carpet on all the metal. The arctic heater might be better, I have the coolant heater and it wasn't sufficient in central Ohio to over come the draft at speed.

Trucks still very fun but I think a lot of people don't realise they are old, heavy parts, harder to get, and more of a tinker toy than actually useful.

Now us who love them don't agree with all that but someone has to speak realistically.
Thats right you are not getting any thanks for that post.

SomeWhatLost

Welcome somewhatnew you have made a lot of fans lately Not..Most of these men are smarter than you and me show some respect.Al
I am not sure what you are referring to?
none of my posts have any malice present, intended or otherwise...
when Doghead mentioned the "No Zombie" rule I immediately removed the post myself, no questions asked...
I only brought it up later in response to my questioning of the quality of my own thread...

I did question the capitalization rule as I have never come across anything like that before (the not using all caps part is pretty common though), and in my quick reading of the rules I missed it...
I do appreciate porkysplace finding and pointing it out though... But I did not believe it was worth posting a reply about? Perhaps I was mistaken?
Of course, the whole capitalization thing could be problematic for me, as I am not convinced my English/Grammar skills quite rank up to a 6th grade level...
also despite my wanting to believe I am still in my 20's, when I post from my smart phone, the little tiny on screen keyboard is not currently as easy to use as if I was really still in my 20's....

Anyway, just to be clear, there isn't, and generally never will be any malice in any of my posts... Peace

Last edited:

SomeWhatLost

Now back to the random questions

Doing some research, it seems that:
A) The Diff's are not vented
B) The Diff's build up pressure and use that pressure to force the axle baring grease to lube the brakes.

At first glance B) seems like a feature, one less thing that needs to be manually lubed...
Besides, stopping is somewhat overrated... And with something like an M35, isn't it everyone else's responsibility to get out of the way? (that would include trees, buildings etc... they should all just move...)

Now, if for some odd reason, say you did want to stop, I am guessing they did A) for a reason...
My uneducated guess would be to maintain a positive pressure in the diff's to keep out water/mud/etc when traveling harsh terrain.

Does anyone make pressure relief type valves that would maintain a small amount of positive pressure in the diff's to keep stuff from coming in, but allow any excess to vent out harmlessly?
Or am I just thinking about this too much and making it needlessly more difficult than needs be?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doing some research, it seems that:
A) The Diff's are not vented
B) The Diff's build up pressure and use that pressure to force the axle baring grease to lube the brakes.

At first glance B) seems like a feature, one less thing that needs to be manually lubed...
Besides, stopping is somewhat overrated... And with something like an M35, isn't it everyone else's responsibility to get out of the way? (that would include trees, buildings etc... they should all just move...)

Now, if for some odd reason, say you did want to stop, I am guessing they did A) for a reason...
My uneducated guess would be to maintain a positive pressure in the diff's to keep out water/mud/etc when traveling harsh terrain.

Does anyone make pressure relief type valves that would maintain a small amount of positive pressure in the diff's to keep stuff from coming in, but allow any excess to vent out harmlessly?
Or am I just thinking about this too much and making it needlessly more difficult than needs be?
A .The differentials ARE vented .
B. If equiped with a fording kit and fording kit is turned on it put a low air pressure in the differential to keep water out ,it does not push grease into the brakes.

XchaosX

The axles do vent but the vents do get gummed up or fail pushing out the gear oil. I just tied all my vents together and ran a line into the engine bay.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles are vented BUT, the vent has a spring over the disk that has to be overcome in order to vent. That does to a small degree, force differential lube past the seals (which are more like shields) to wash out the bearing grease and eventually to lube the brakes. Those that tie the vents together and run the line higher are eliminating the spring loaded vents when they swap out to tubing connectors. That is part of solving the problem (removing the slight pressure).

rustystud

I thought adding pressure to anything other than the bell housing was asking for a leak?
As long as you never go past 2 to 3 PSI you should be OK. That is enough pressure to keep out 6 ft of water easily. I rebuilt differentials and transmissions from the military that where set-up for deep water fording and they all had pressurized systems. They also used a oil seal that I have never since been able to find. It was a double lip seal with lips each way. The outer one didn't have a metal spring like the inner one did. It was just really beefed up to prevent water entering.
Of course you don't run the truck with pressure in the differentials unless your in the water.

Last edited:

SomeWhatLost

Thanks for all the thoughts on the venting of the diffs... running all the lines up seems like a pretty cool idea...

Now I just need to actually acquire an M35... Anyone know where I can get some nice big bags of cash? Cash always seems to help with the acquisition of new toys...

I have also been looking around the interwebs at M35 wheel and tire options... and it seems the universal answer you get is to check on SteelSoldiers.com, as I have not actrually done that yet, this is not an officially sanctioned question about wheel and tire options yet...
But one thing I noticed is that people like to go big with the tires, isn't it a bit scary to have less than an inch or so between the rears? all it would take would be like an inch of defection on some part and I would imaging it would be fairly bad if they contacted each other?
Although I would guess they would be cleaning the mud off each other?
What if a 2x4 or rock or small animal or something gets caught up in there?
Or am I completely over thinking this?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the thoughts on the venting of the diffs... running all the lines up seems like a pretty cool idea...

Now I just need to actually acquire an M35... Anyone know where I can get some nice big bags of cash? Cash always seems to help with the acquisition of new toys...

I have also been looking around the interwebs at M35 wheel and tire options... and it seems the universal answer you get is to check on SteelSoldiers.com, as I have not actrually done that yet, this is not an officially sanctioned question about wheel and tire options yet...
But one thing I noticed is that people like to go big with the tires, isn't it a bit scary to have less than an inch or so between the rears? all it would take would be like an inch of defection on some part and I would imaging it would be fairly bad if they contacted each other?
Although I would guess they would be cleaning the mud off each other?
What if a 2x4 or rock or small animal or something gets caught up in there?
Or am I completely over thinking this?
As one with a deuce on 395s that off-roads quite a bit, yeah, I think you are overthinking it.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Have you thought about a CUCV as a daily driver , maybe a 1008 or 1009 . If you get a decent unit and go though all the maintenance items you should be be good to go . BUT as was said these are OLD used Military Vehicles that usually require a lot of TLC . They can get expensive in a hurry ! good luck:ditto:
And by owning cucv you will get a quick education on auto electric!