• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi from Georgia

slantflat

Hello everyone. Looks like I'm recalcitrant. I started posting without introducing myself. I'm Mike and I live in Atlanta. I own a very dilapidated DUKW and up until recently an 86 CUCV. I liked the CUCV a lot, but just didn't have use for it. Eventually I'll do something with the DUKW, but for now I'd like to find an M35A2. I've been a member here for years but have never posted. I hope I can learn a thing or two as well as be of some help. Thanks for having me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Before I end up homeless, let's define "dilapidated"

rofl

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site.......... although you've been here for awhile.

rofl

No loss on the CUCV (please forward all hate mail to recovry4x4 :) )

The best advice I can give you about buying a deuce is to spend a few weeks just sitting and reading the deuce forum. You'll get an idea of what goes wrong, what to look for, etc. If you want to take a trip, mosey up here and I'll give you the nickel tour and let you drive a few of ours (we have 7 or 8 right now).

Your attendance at the rally in October is mandatory (see the link in my signature line below).

Also, DUKW pics are mandatory.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't mind Clinto. He has trouble dealing with the vast complexities of the CUCV. He sticks to deuces since they are brutally simple. I would have to agree, a trip to the GA Rally is certainly in order come October. I'll be making the 660+6 mile trip myself.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Don't mind Clinto. He has trouble dealing with the vast complexities of the CUCV. He sticks to deuces since they are brutally simple.
rofl

I owned a British vehicle once, I vowed never again!

Q. Why do the British drink warm beer?

A. Because their refrigerators have Lucas wiring...................

jw4x4

Welcome to the site.......... although you've been here for awhile.

rofl

No loss on the CUCV (please forward all hate mail to recovry4x4 :) )

Your attendance at the rally in October is mandatory (see the link in my signature line below).

Also, DUKW pics are mandatory.
No hate mail here. We know how you are (among others). CUCVs may not be the biggest MV, but they are beyond doubt the most practical.

slantflat

Wow thanks you guys. Wish I'd have participated sooner. Papabear my DUKW looks about like the first two pictures. Oddly enough I don't have any pictures of it, so I'll get some and post them up. The rally sounds awesome, I'll have to finagle a couple of days off. I've been reading up on deuce stuff. I've wanted one for years but never really had a need for one. I figured now is the time or I just won't get one. Clinto do you sell those or just like having a few around? Sorry for the big run on paragraph, but my return key doesn't do anything while in the message box. Odd.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Clinto is our resident Deuce Dr. It'd be wonderful if you two could work out some sort of agreement.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto do you sell those or just like having a few around?
I have 2 keepers, my dump conversion M35A2 and my '87 M35A2C. I really like the Deuces, I think they're about the best MV out there, other than maybe a Jeep. Jeeps are much smaller and easier to use but a deuce is really nice to have around the house. I have a mule and they're awesome, but their lack of roadworthiness really limits their utility.

We have been buying deuces from GL and refurbishing them for a few years now. Buy it, get it home, do all the service work (pull hubs, clean and inspect brakes and bearings, change all filters, fluids if necessary, grease everything) and fix whatever is wrong with it (almost every one of them needs a few hundred dollars worth of something (bad door latches, window regulators, broken glass, bad tires, etc.). We usually keep them for a year or so and drive them around to make sure all the bugs are worked out, although there have been instances where we've had them for much shorter periods.

I have a couple of trucks right now, one is a winch, dropside, whistler, heater, air shift, spring ride, west coast mirror truck that I am almost done with (have to do pinion bearings on one axle, finish some winch work and install new parking brake and cable) and the other is a winch, standard bed, air shift, spring ride, west coast mirror truck. I haven't done anything to it but it's driveable and not much wrong with it so I should be able to get it ready reasonably quickly.

The others are either customer trucks (maintenance/repair) or our trucks that require a lot of love and are further away from being sellable.

my return key doesn't do anything while in the message box. Odd.
There was a thread about this the other day. I think it's a IE issue.

CUCVs may not be the biggest MV, but they are beyond doubt the most practical.
Close your eyes and imagine: the zombie apocalypse...................................................

"Jerry, we need to get moving. That herd of walkers is coming this way"

""I'm trying Kenny, -it's turning over but won't start. Maybe the glow plugs aren't cycling"

"Jesus Jerry, I'm not kidding. They're getting closer!"

"Oh ****, now it's just stuttering. I think we drained down the rear battery"

"Jerry!!!! YOU *******!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY A DEUCE!"

"MY HOA WOULDN"T LET ME!"

OH GOD....DMLSJDOEJOJDKEJDKWWN D OH THE PAIN!!!!!!!

nom nom nom nom nom

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Close your eyes and imagine: the zombie apocalypse...................................................

""I'm trying Kenny, -it's turning over but won't start. Maybe the glow plugs aren't cycling"

nom nom nom nom nom
Ummm...Clinto...have you been smoking that chit again???nopics

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My M1008 starts more reliably than my Deuce. Course the deuce has needed the batteries replaced for a year or so now.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me a 5 ton any time.......Starts better then a CUCV, can carry more than a deuce, and kills more zombies in a single pass.........

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah but if you don't take out the head with the bumper, front axle or front tires, they have a week and a half to crawl out of the way before the rear tires of your M814 get there to finish the job!

Welcome to the site.

I wish I had a deuce to offer in trade! I want a DUKW real bad now. Not just because I've been drooling over Papabears, but because I want one just to PO Clinto! hahahaha!

jw4x4

I have 2 keepers, my dump conversion M35A2 and my '87 M35A2C. I really like the Deuces, I think they're about the best MV out there, other than maybe a Jeep. Jeeps are much smaller and easier to use but a deuce is really nice to have around the house. I have a mule and they're awesome, but their lack of roadworthiness really limits their utility.

We have been buying deuces from GL and refurbishing them for a few years now. Buy it, get it home, do all the service work (pull hubs, clean and inspect brakes and bearings, change all filters, fluids if necessary, grease everything) and fix whatever is wrong with it (almost every one of them needs a few hundred dollars worth of something (bad door latches, window regulators, broken glass, bad tires, etc.). We usually keep them for a year or so and drive them around to make sure all the bugs are worked out, although there have been instances where we've had them for much shorter periods.

I have a couple of trucks right now, one is a winch, dropside, whistler, heater, air shift, spring ride, west coast mirror truck that I am almost done with (have to do pinion bearings on one axle, finish some winch work and install new parking brake and cable) and the other is a winch, standard bed, air shift, spring ride, west coast mirror truck. I haven't done anything to it but it's driveable and not much wrong with it so I should be able to get it ready reasonably quickly.

The others are either customer trucks (maintenance/repair) or our trucks that require a lot of love and are further away from being sellable.

There was a thread about this the other day. I think it's a IE issue.

nom nom nom nom nom
Clinto- Try to concentrate here. The key word was "practical". Then you had to take the zombie route???? lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks