• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi guys. Super single problems on m916a3

talltye101

Hi guys. New to this place . Our fire department just got a 2008 frieghtliner m916a3. It has new tires all the way around on it. *duals* . We are picked up some new 395/80/r20 xzl mich on 20 inch mrap wheels. I know the mraps won't fit. My question is is there an adapter or other wheels that will make this work ? Our truck is hub centered. Not budd centered. So that's a problem. Thanks in advance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No there is no adapter for stud pilot to hub pilot. It would make more sense for yall to go to dual 24.5s with a beefier tire that can be found on ebay for not a bad price. 395s are 46.6in. a 12.00R24.5 is the an inch taller and you can still have duals and your heavy truck will be more stable. You get any tire problems offroad with a 395 you are just down, compared to a dual that you can just keep on going. Plus a A3 would be able to turn over 16.00s with out a problem vs 395s. I think there is some brake drum shaving to do as well for 20inch wheels. Just my .02

There are some hub pilot military wheels out there in 20inch. I gotta remember which ones though.

tobyS

I have 20" steel Hendersons that are hub centered with the 11.25 bolt circle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure the A3 does not have Budd wheels? Military is standardized on those.

tobyS

Bolts should be larger also, 1" I think. I know the steel thickness at the stud is 1/2" on my wheels, thicker than combat. If you have 11.25" BC, I'll dig one out and get some photo's.

I bought a lot of them from GL, I think about 12. They fit a standard semi axle, so can be used for trailers too.

talltye101

No there is no adapter for stud pilot to hub pilot. It would make more sense for yall to go to dual 24.5s with a beefier tire that can be found on ebay for not a bad price. 395s are 46.6in. a 12.00R24.5 is the an inch taller and you can still have duals and your heavy truck will be more stable. You get any tire problems offroad with a 395 you are just down, compared to a dual that you can just keep on going. Plus a A3 would be able to turn over 16.00s with out a problem vs 395s. I think there is some brake drum shaving to do as well for 20inch wheels. Just my .02

There are some hub pilot military wheels out there in 20inch. I gotta remember which ones though.
It currently has
385/65 r 22.5 and 315/80 22.5 on it

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are you sure the A3 does not have Budd wheels? Military is standardized on those.
Alot of the trailers like mine have gone to hub pilot. Ive noticed alot of the wheels come thru have been that way as well with tires on em.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ReoRider

Back to the question of the OP- running super singles on the Freightliner....The axles will take the plentiful military 20" wheels from the 5 tons or from the HEMTT. The latter will likely require longer studs, but both wheels are stud centered with easy to get hardware. Pictured is set-up with 14:00 X 20 Michelin XZL's on 20" wheels from the 5 tons. Same can be done with 16:00X 20 with a little modification of the front fenders. The clearance for the rears is fine in both cases. IMG_2179.jpgIMG_2178.jpg

tobyS

Wow....I like that. Would make a great dump truck.

If those are 14.00's, then 395's will be sweet. I just put the 395 Michelin XZL around my M929A2 and they are changing my opinion about super singles when loaded heavy.

Excellent choice.

Last edited:

ReoRider

I agree, been running pretty heavy (74,000) with the 14's for a couple of years and the XZL's feel very stable. They were a big help with the final drive ratio as well, though not as important in the OP's case, as he is running the A3 version which has the overdrive top gears in the Allison.

talltye101

Back to the question of the OP- running super singles on the Freightliner....The axles will take the plentiful military 20" wheels from the 5 tons or from the HEMTT. The latter will likely require longer studs, but both wheels are stud centered with easy to get hardware. Pictured is set-up with 14:00 X 20 Michelin XZL's on 20" wheels from the 5 tons. Same can be done with 16:00X 20 with a little modification of the front fenders. The clearance for the rears is fine in both cases. View attachment 703068View attachment 703067
That is sweet. That's what we are going for. Except we won't be near as heavy. Around 45,000 when it's all said and done

talltye101

^ could you point me at parts or where to get them ? Dave at northern says he has rims that will work,but I should have added in the o.p we are a small volunteer department. Don't think we can swing $450 a piece for new rims

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks