• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi Idle

jpear52

I have a 86 CUCV that runs good most of the time. When I start it from a cold start, the high idle kicks on but will not shift to low idle after warm up. I can kill the engine and restart, then it goes to low idle. Pleasse help a rookie!
thanks in advance for your patience and support.:)

Hasdrubal

Many years ago my temperature sensor failed, causing the high idle to stay on full time. This also engages the IP timing advance. Driving for a long period will cause premature failure of the glowplugs. Although turning off and restarting motor should not cause it to dis-engage. So, perhaps you have some other issue at play here.

Otherwise, replace the sensor which is located on the rear passenger side of engine. I wired in an illuminated rocker switch in the circuit, so mine is manually operated. Sometimes when its cold its nice to have it on for a few minutes longer than the sensor would allow, particularly when going up hill.

donalloy1

Mine was doing same thing till I changed out my IP. In process of that project I detailed everything including High Idle Plunger. Took QTips, CLP and Elbow Grease to get all the crud off the Rod that I could access. Works perfectly now.

Possible solution?2cents

jpear52

Mine stays on all the time. You can kill the engine, restart and it goes to low. You can unplug the green wire from it and it will go to low. The sensor must be bad like theprevious poster referred to. I went to Auto Zone and they did not show one for that vehicle.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the TM 9-2320-289-20P parts manual, Figure 46, Item#2, the Cold advance switch part number is GM 14071047, it has been supperceded with GM 10154649.

Googling the old and new comes up with a few post from SS.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/48453-fast-idle-temp-switch.html

The Napa part number is ECH TS7265

Sometimes you have to help the poor parts store counterhelp out a little.

86M10086.2L

Silly question, but if you simply unplug it. Will that prevent the truck from going into high idle and cold advance? Even if you depress the gas pedal to the floor before starting? I have to as I have a glow plug saver system the requires me to depress the pedal to ignite the glow plugs. I personally hate the cold start system. Truck sounds like death if you try to move while it's engaged (I'm exaggerating of course) and I fell bad and it's inconvenient letting the truck rattle for 5-10 mins waiting for it to drop early in the morning. I'd much rather let it warm up for a few minutes then just take it easy for the first few miles or so on my own.

dependable

If you unplug warm up circuit from the sensor, or the advance solenoid and the IP, it will be disabled. If you actually have to wait 10 minutes before kickdown in your location then your thermostat is probably stuck open.

86M10086.2L

That was just for argument sake. It actually only takes a few minutes. No more than possibly 5 on a cold morning. I would rather be able to start it let it run for a minute while I ready myself. Take it easy till it gets some heat in it and go as normal. I know it's there for a reason. But it drives me nuts.