• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi there from Hamburg/Germany

Fastdad76

I am owning a little overlanding business here in kraut country. But its focused on pickup trucks and small 4x4s.

My next private vehicle now shall be one of the big boys. :cool: My plan is to build an expedition rig for my family of 4. But I never follow the masses and always do my own thing. So a MAN, UNIMOG or some old IVECO, MAN or Mercedes fire engine fell from the list. I always owned American cars. Therefore the plan is to use a 6x6 MTV as basis.

I already got a lot of useful info here 💪 And I'm sure I'm at the right place here for future questions 👍👍👍
Cheers, Andre

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Andre. PM the Miggins Bros., they are in the Berlin/Hamburg area. Chris has a very nice MAN KAT 1 4X4 5 Ton truck, similar to the one pictured below. MAN KAT 1 4X4.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MTV???? OMG get the real thing if you are in Europe. Our copy not as good by a longshot.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am owning a little overlanding business here in kraut country. But its focused on pickup trucks and small 4x4s.

My next private vehicle now shall be one of the big boys. :cool: My plan is to build an expedition rig for my family of 4. But I never follow the masses and always do my own thing. So a MAN, UNIMOG or some old IVECO, MAN or Mercedes fire engine fell from the list. I always owned American cars. Therefore the plan is to use a 6x6 MTV as basis.

I already got a lot of useful info here 💪 And I'm sure I'm at the right place here for future questions 👍👍👍
Cheers, Andre
Welcome Andre - from Charlotte, North Carolina, USA!

You definitely have come to the right place. There are several Build threads here for an expedition rig. Got an active MTVR and a LMTV happening now so you can see progress step-by-step. Both guys seem to be posting at least once a week. Sometimes more often than that.

Again, welcome to the Green (and Tan) disease. It is ever so much more fun than "current events in the news"!

Fastdad76

Hello Andre. PM the Miggins Bros., they are in the Berlin/Hamburg area. Chris has a very nice MAN KAT 1 4X4 5 Ton truck, similar to the one pictured below. View attachment 810436
Thank you, Tracer! Yeah the KAT1 brought me to military trucks TBH. Why bying a commercial rig when you can get all that you want in a premade package?

The KAT1's are awesome. But there are already "a lot" here. I even have a buddy with a pretty cool 8x8 in the neighbor city. And I am more the guy who tries to stand out of the crowd. Because I lost my heart for American steel I got attracted by the MTVs ;)

BTW the 8x8 has its own YT Channel. But the guy is just driving around for fun.

Fastdad76

Welcome Andre - from Charlotte, North Carolina, USA!

You definitely have come to the right place. There are several Build threads here for an expedition rig. Got an active MTVR and a LMTV happening now so you can see progress step-by-step. Both guys seem to be posting at least once a week. Sometimes more often than that.

Again, welcome to the Green (and Tan) disease. It is ever so much more fun than "current events in the news"!
I already got a lot of help right on the first day! This place here is awesome! 💪💪💪
Thank you :)

Fastdad76

MTV???? OMG get the real thing if you are in Europe. Our copy not as good by a longshot.
NDT, the "real thing" would be a Steyr 12M18 which is only available as 4x4. Yes, it has lockers. But TBH I dont plan to go to such remote places where I could get stuck with even with a MTV.

Copy or not. IMHO the FMTVs are more of an improvement than a copy. The parts availability is way better with the CAT engine, Allison tranny, Meritor axles etc. than for a Steyr with its many Steyr specific parts. Thats a huge plus if you plan to travel the world in your rolling tiny house 👍 And twice as much power (with a lot of potential to increase it) is another plus. :cool: The biggest plus for us as a family is the fact that the FMTVs are available as 6x6. Thats not the case with the Steyr.

Fastdad76

Thanks to our member "Mirko" I already have a 3d model of a M1083. 👍 :) Its not that detailled as you can see. But the dimensions are pretty accurate.

I already made a roof rack with a set of 40" LED lightbars and extended the frame by approx. 2ft to fit a 20ft shipping container frame. The container frame will be a low cube version as used in Asia (8ft high instead of 8ft 6") to be way below the German height limit of 4 meters (a bit more than 13ft 3").

I plan two spare wheels in the back of the habitat box. Therefore the spare wheel carrier will be deleted. The air filter will be replaced by two Donaldson PSD10's. This way the box can be moved forward to keep a nice departure angle. :cool:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks