• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hidden deuce finds

cummins7

Recently I picked up my m35a2 from a local and really don't know anything about the previous owner or where it came from. That being said I have found some unusual stuff all over the truck that I find really neat and interesting and was wondering what other members might have found on there trucks.

The first thing I noticed was two bullet holes, one on the bed (passenger side) and one on the front fender (passenger side).

Another was was a strange symbol that was painted over whenever the truck was painted and you can barely see it but if you look at the right angle you can make out a dashed circle approx 4-5" in diameter with two vertical lines in the middle. It's on the drivers side door.

Another was the initials RZ engraved on the driver side door jam, very small but you can make it out.

One more ore thing I found was actually pretty funny. When I did my power steering conversion, I took off the plate on the injection pump to mount the hydraulic pump. Someone had written "pumkin head is gay, love hitler" on the inside. I still have it and is still eligible but was really surprised to see that written on there.

What kind of unique things have you found?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Whenever I replaced a differential pumpkin I always cleaned up the back of the housing with Lacquer thinner and painted on a smiley face with a paint pen. This way whoever has to do this job again can get a laugh that someone else has already gone through all this before. :D

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M35 had a 50cal belt link in the cab, along with several cigarette butts, a beemans gum wrapper, and an army corporal collar pin all in the right hand defroster duct...........no fooling.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Another was was a strange symbol that was painted over whenever the truck was painted and you can barely see it but if you look at the right angle you can make out a dashed circle approx 4-5" in diameter with two vertical lines in the middle. It's on the drivers side door.

What kind of unique things have you found?
Are you sure it wasn't the number 8 inside the dashed circle. That would normally be the location of the weight classification

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had a bunch of radio battery's and about 20 different kind of manuals in the back , oh yeah and a couple explosives stickers .

oboyjohn

Up here in Montreal, I work for 202 Workshop depot and we regularly receive vehicles from everywhere. When I first started here, we received a batch of vehicles coming back from tour in Bosnia. They were supposed to be "clean" but a buddy of mine found 2 live grenades inside. More recently, trucks coming from Afghanistan will have empty water bottles with arabic writing on them scattered everywhere inside, empty brass, girly magasines, maps, tools, girlfriend pictures, etc..... The worst thing I have ever found was someone had taken a dump inside a big zip lock bag and stowed it under the floor boards in a LAV25. Luckily the zip lock bag was intact when found and stayed intact while transported to garbage!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice thread!

There is a similar thread about "Contraband" found in acquired MV's but I've been unable to find that one using the SEARCH function. Can anyone provide a link.
All we found in our Deuce was a excellent running truck in great shape.
Our M105 Trailer came with no surprises, but no title either. rofl
The 1960 vintage KAK220 Box Van Trailer came with the ORIGINAL Oak Plywood inside paneling and bump rails in reasonable condition and the fasteners only needed tightening. However, the oak floorboards covered with light flooring were dry rotted away. Papers found between the front bulkhead and the front skin confirmed many sea-trips to Vietnam loaded with Ammo. (She predates the common use of Sea-Containers.)
And our most recent acquisition, an M818 Tractor (From a Sheriff's Office) surprisingly comes with a Red/Blue Light Bar, several ratchet-type cargo straps, a FULL tool box with Bottle Jacks, Sockets, Cables, and other goodies. (And since we still haven't gotten her home we may find more under the seats and in the glove box etc.

Thanks for creating this thread.

Carry on.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a bunch of stuff in my M373 trailer. Lots of small parts and brand new batteries (Duracell) and a manual of some sort for a Blackhawk helo.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked up my M185 from the auction, there were about seven boxes of parts locked in the back, including a turbo, a new radiator, loads of hoses, new filters, an alternator, a couple of hydraulic jacks, and numerous other bits new and used.
And a nice boarding ladder!
The tool box had a slave cable, another jack, and some tools.

The ladder was the only thing visible in the back when the auction pictures were taken.

One of my M931s had the complete BII, still in wrappers, in the tool boxes.

Cheers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The first deuce I ever bought from GL came out of Fort Jackson, SC. It had a "Redneck Gun Turret" made out of a 55 gallon drum with a locking ring sticking out of the hard top.

It was packed with Basic Issue Items to the point where they had filled the OVM box and had put a bunch of stuff in the cab. When I got it all sorted out I had two complete sets and some extras. Also had two complete TMs, the Army Log book (with the last dispatch still in it) and all the service records.

Akicita

I found some new winch pins in the glove box, and a variety of screws, bolts and nuts on the floor of the cab.

Four L-brackets are screwed to the floor of the bed. I still haven't figured out what they were used for but they way they are aligned I guess they were to supposed to prevent whatever the shoved onto the truck from sliding sideways. There are two brackets on the right and two on the left. Sorry, I don't have pictures.