• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hidden Hitch Class III/ Shocks ?

tklm539

Has anyone tried a Hidden Hitch listed with JC Whitney on a M1009?

I need to put on a receiver that has a higher TW than the stock bumper will allow with a bolt on step bumper type. It says it will bolt on with little or no drilling.
Hitch
http://www.jcwhitney.com/HIDDEN-HIT...9930_N_111+1985+200728441+600002324_10101.jcw

Also, if adding a plow and towing (not at the same time) are HD coil over shocks better or progressive spring helpers?

Shocks
http://www.jcwhitney.com/GABRIEL-HE...6170_N_111+1985+200728441+600003409_10101.jcw
Springs
http://www.jcwhitney.com/HELLWIG-LO...5980_N_111+1985+200728441+600003409_10101.jcw

Thanks

AJMBLAZER

I beleive...the D-ring mounts in the rear are in the way of the civilian hitch mounts. We had to hand make mine. Know anyone handy with a welder/torch?

Coil over spring shocks are...70's tech...and they were pretty cheesy then. You get a small weight carrying increase at the cost of VAST over dampening. If you need more capacity you probably want to do something like the spring helpers there or a long add-a-leaf. Did Armada ever tell you the maker of those leaf springs?

CCATLETT1984

yup the brackets are in the way of the hitch, you should be able to modify the hitch to fit.

if you really need the extra weight cap, then get a set of the air bags that mount between the spring and the frame, that way they are only helping when you need them. a small 12v air compressor is more than enough to fill them up, so no air source is needed.

For the front if adding a plow, just go to a spring shop and have a set of HD packs build, you can also run air bags up front, but having a beefier spring pack will do wonders. Plus you will get the benefit of getting rid of the 2" of sag that is usually in the pack.

motorolanut

Before I sold mine I installed a 2 inch Ball Pintle Combo on mine....Now Keep in mind I never towed more than #3000 lbs trailer with it. I removed the regular pintle and replaced it with one from Northern Tool or something.
It worked great too...Of course I would never tow much more weight with the Blazer considering it is a 1/2 ton
chassis anyway with marginal cooling for the tranny.

maritimer

i have the pintle/2" ball replacement as well in place of the milspec pintle, while the heaviest i trailered is 2 cords of wood. i have used it as an attachment point to pull trees down and stumps out. with no issues at all

JohnFire

I also recommend hunting through the threads by doing a search. I know we hit hitches up pretty heavy a couple months ago. I have a putnam class III on mine. Had to remove the 1" crossbar, and the pintle plate. I intend on chopping the plate, rewelding it and it should then fit right on top the hitch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks