• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High altitude 6.2 operation

craters

Greetings All, Im Ken from Boise Idaho and I would like to know your expirence with operating the 6.2 from 6k to 9k feet in elevation. My previous truck EFI gas did fine at high altitude ( Typical power loss) . Im concerned about over fueling and lack of a turbo. I dont need rocket performance but it needs to get the truck and 1500 pound camper and 1500 pound trailer to base camp at 8400 feet. Summer camping is usually in the 7k to 8k foot range. Im not totally opposed to a turbo 6.5 , but would like to stay close to stock. Thanks for your Time Ken

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my first CUCV from boyce equipment in ogden UT. And drove it through soldier pass on the way home. It still pulled 55MPH empty. I can't rember what elevation that was but it seemed pretty high. I would sudjest. installing a larger exaust, at least 2 1/2 inch. And stop it before the rear axle. Then get a airfilter assembly from a 90's model N/A 6.2. The air opening is much larger and makes a seat of the pants acceleration difference. It also cuts way down on the engine roar. The 6.2 is way choked down as it is. Any more air flow helps.

armytruck63

I had my M1009 pulling an M416 trailer, both quite loaded, to over 10,000 feet a couple of years ago. There were some steep highway and dirt road grades up into the mountains and the Blazer smoked a lot and did not have a lot of power, but it got us to our camp OK.

Your M1008 has better mountain gearing than the M1009.

I am thinking that if I return to the area again, I will pull the air filter for the highway climb and put it back in for the dirt roads.

The camp photo is at 9200 feet in the White Mountains of California.

Attachments

jwaller

a 6.2 is slow, so expect even slower in the hills. overfueling just means more black smoke, you see it back off the throttle.

choll

I did high altitude a few times with mine. I was pulling a 2 axle uhaul trailer with 2 full dresser harleys and a sport bike. We slowed way down during the climb about 40mph. In the Bever Creek CO. area the truck was empty and had no issues.

superburban

I've done plenty of driving at altitude with my NA 6.2s. They work just like normal (slow and steady), except maybe more black smoke. Just go easy on the throttle on the really steep grades (to help keep EGTs down) and be prepared for a long drive!

Bottom line: Dont sweat it.

Wolf.Dose

For the Standadyne DB28 injection pump there are several hight altitude kits available from Standadyne. But I do not know wether they still supply them. However, if you do not live in these altitudes permanentely, you normally do not need them.
Wolf