• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

high horsepower & extremely high torque transmissons?

Shoprat 19th Engr

Don"t know the name of the Transmission but they use a torque converter and pump system and install Lenco Gear boxes to that system I have seen this system on some of the Pro Mod that run 1800+ hp motors and other types of Drag Racing Vechiles

dk8019

There might be some out there, some of the Allison HD series might be getting close to that. What are you planning to put under that hood?

grendel

Allison HD series, all day long. I have a 680hp, 2570 ft lb motor in front of a soon to be modified HD4060 in a 21,000lb truck that will never tow heavy again. It's rated from the factory for 600hp and 2100ft lbs of torque moving 91,000lbs. BTW, if you're over 1K HP, your torque will be more like 3K ft lbs. That will be a very expensive diesel if you want longevity.

74M35A2

I agree with Grendel. Where are you getting your hp and torque numbers from? For a diesel, those two don't seem to be in the same ballpark. You should probably be researching transmission mfg specifications online. Nothing here is built to that level.

Ibexe666

Its a prototype engine during testing pushed 2000hp at 4500ish rpms and im trying to get a baseline of what transmission will need to be used when the engine is fully done being modified

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah given the numbers and weight, A Allison HD is the only way to go.

You do have my curiosity though, is this a completely ground up prototype, or are you basing it off a production engine?

grendel

What about gearhart And lenco?
Depends on your bell housing, I guess. Allisons are proven, with support everywhere. I know both those guys and they do well, but if something were to go wrong, you can go to any Allison dealer. There are bound to be 300X more Allison transmissions out there in the world operating at those power levels moving more weight.

grendel

Having access to a cnc machine and good with autodesk and stuff helps if i need some truely custom stuff
I have access to all that and then some and I would not do a custom engine. You're a better man than I am.

There's a few folks on LS1tech that welded two blocks together to make a V12. It's a boatload of work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks