• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High/Low beam gremlins

kcobean

My right headlight burned out a couple of weeks ago. I got a couple of replacements from a buddy who upgraded to LEDs and had his old ones laying around (Thanks DU!). The new headlight looks good in low-beam mode, but in high beam mode it's very dim, and after replacing the bulb, my high beam indicator lamp on the dash is on all the time when the lights are on. It's dim in low-beam mode and normal in high beam mode, but on all the time nonetheless.

One thing I noticed is that the ground wire (wire 91) is in a different location in the right bucket than it is in the left, but I used a multimeter to figure out which connector is ground, and I'm pretty sure I have wires 17 and 18 hooked up correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the right light is dim in high beam mode (I tried both two different lamps and both are the same), or why the dash indicator is glowing in low-beam mode? Does this look like a short? I hate electrical issues.

Last edited:

Darrin

The indicator sounds like a back feed problem. Meaning current is coming back on the wire from your high beams, usually because of a bad connection or bad ground. Ohm's law says electricity will take the path of least resistance. So it sounds like its easier to go back through the indicator than go to ground up front. Check grounds on the right fixture. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks