• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High rail equipped MV?

03silverado

Hello to all I have a question that may sound a little rediculous I work for CSX Transportation in the track dept. And was curious was there ever any MV's ever equipped with Hi-rail gear for riding the rails? If so does anybody have any pictures?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was on my first tour in Korea I went to a logistics base to pick up a vehicle.

They had an old deuce with steel railroad wheels on it that they used to switch cars with.

I have some pics of it but they are not digital.....if I can find them I'll scan a couple in.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is a rail set up on a cckw on page 334 in Fred Crismom U.S. Military wheeled Vehicles

KsM715

When I was on my first tour in Korea I went to a logistics base to pick up a vehicle.

They had an old deuce with steel railroad wheels on it that they used to switch cars with.

I have some pics of it but they are not digital.....if I can find them I'll scan a couple in.

You have pics like that squirled away and you never scanned them and put them up on here? :shock:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What appears to be a converted M52 with a ballast box of sandbags on it.

Picture is one posted by passed member Armyman30years, who is perched over the fuel tank. RIP good sir.

Cheers

Attachments

03silverado

Way cool everybody really like the hy-rail equipped M1008 definately cool that M54 with rail wheels is also very cool!!!! I wonder if my boss would let me trade in my 95' chevy 2500 hy-railer for that M1008? It would be even better if the M1008 was three color camo

03silverado

Thanks for sharing M813rc very cool truck we have one similar to that at work its not a deuce or 5 ton but it is designed to pull rail cars ill have to post a pic if I can find one

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way cool everybody really like the hy-rail equipped M1008 definately cool that M54 with rail wheels is also very cool!!!! I wonder if my boss would let me trade in my 95' chevy 2500 hy-railer for that M1008? It would be even better if the M1008 was three color camo
The M1008 will be returned to 3 color camo in the future. It is just really low on the priority list. It came from the military exactly as you see it. If your ever down this way, we will go for a ride. I know, one hyrail trip is like another. But this is a different type of hyrailer. Best part, with the larger rims and tires, I can cruise 65 in it already. 8)

03silverado

Cool man sounds like a plan I really enjoy hy-railing I remember when I first hy-railed at work in our boom truck I actually started to turn entering the curve and then realized that's not necessary oops. Id love to go for a ride if im ever down your way

powerhouseduece

Cool man sounds like a plan I really enjoy hy-railing I remember when I first hy-railed at work in our boom truck I actually started to turn entering the curve and then realized that's not necessary oops. Id love to go for a ride if im ever down your way
Come to the Ga rally with me you wimp! We'll hit up Ferro's place on the way down.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a Marine Corp Fairmont A4-E. It was among the last group of motorcars built in the US, all for the military.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I loved going and drooling on the second jeep there Frodo- it is at the FT Eustis transportation museum.

I actually had a chance to buy a set of those wheels, built by fairmont to bolt right up to a jeep. Bought the m38a1 he had instead. Should have gotten the wheels.