• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High Range problem, HELP

Brad

I am helping my FAther restor a 1952 M135.
We have it 99% finished but we cant get it to move in high trange. It used to work fine. The low range still works ok.
My brother was on line looking for help and was told it was probably the wavy washer spring. Was told if it was broke to just take it out and throw away. Not needed
We tore this thing all down and the spring is NOT broken.
We can find nothing wrong .
Have not put back together and just dont know what to do next. This is hard work for dear ol'e dad. (79) Me too. (56)
PLEASE, can anyone shed some light on what to do next.
You can post here or e-mail me direct at longhunter@digitalrazor.net
Thanks ever so much,
Brad Foust, Pennsylvania

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did that. Get it rolling in low range and then shift to high range. There will be a huge "kabam" and then high range will work again.

BugEyeBear

Mine did that. Get it rolling in low range and then shift to high range. There will be a huge "kabam" and then high range will work again.
No Offense but...
I'd be worried that I'd do this and the "Huge Kabam" would occur then NOTHING would work again!

Sounds like a risky solution to me...

But that's just my humble opinion.

I would call the guys at Alfa Heaven and/or the guys at Memphis Equipment and ask for advise before doing anything that could possibly cause more damage.

-Bear-

butch atkins

do you have TM 9-8024,it is in the SS technical library under resources,proper adjustment is critical for these trannys to operate properly,READ pgs 163-168,pgs 345-363,YOU MUST follow the adjustment procedures exactly as they are in the TM,READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING,70 % of problems are caused by improperly adjusted Transmisiion Manual and Throttle Linkage adjustments,get the TM and read it,good luck and keep posting

Brad

Thanks everyone for your help.
Please let me know if you get anymore ideas.
This is really frustrating.
This truck is pretty nice, and used to work well, now this problem.
Brad

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AMGeneral has good knowledge of these tramsmissions, also.

badgmc56

The internal parts of these transmissions are mostly steel and will freeze up if not used for a long period of time. Check the driven cone and make sure it is not stuck to the stationary cone that is in the reduction unit. TM9-8025-2 is the transmission manual you need to get if you own one of these trucks. You will understand the tranny much better after you read it. Lots of diagrams, teardown and rebuild procedures. Troubleshooting tips also. Majortom at alfa-heaven is the man to talk to about these transmissions. Hope this helps you out. Bob C.

Brad

U ubderstand what your saying regarding the adjustment of the linkage and how critical it is.
But isn't that more to do with the auto shifting?
Does that have anything to do why it would not go into High Range?
Thanks again

artica5105

linkage is real important for all aspects of the transmission. They control not only the shift points, but also there is a rod which goes to the rear reduction on the transmission. I can't offer much help other than checking the linkage twice, but I do know Tom from alfa-heaven will have an answer. Be prepared to know what pressures you are getting, he may just check to see that you first read his article @
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/17023-hydramatic-heaven.html

Good luck!

Last edited:

Brad

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving.
I have been unable to reach Major Tom but have read the article you reccomend.
I think we are going to put it back together without the Wavy Washer spring. But we can find nothing wrong with any of it.
Can anyone tell me what the short steel line is for between the tranny and the rear reduction unit? It appears to be just a breather so the pressures are the same ine both parts, but I really dont know.
There is a chance it was cracked, but I dont think that would mean anything? But what do I know.
Thanks again

Brad

Man I am having problems figuring out how to use this site. But not as bad as the truck problem.
I think we are just going to put it back together without the wavy washer spring.
I have not yet heard from Major Tom , as you have all reccomended, but did read the article. We can find nothing wrong as far as we can tell. The wavy washer was not broken.
I am wondering what that short steel line between the trany and reduction unit is for? Just to relive pressure??
Wish me luck, and thanks so much for all the help.
BRad

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is in the Hi/Lo range linkage. Maybe in the tower. The tranny is OK because it works in Lo range. Just calm down and enjoy the situation. She'll be OK and be working soon.

But check the adjustment in the TM. But its in the linkage on the back of the tranny.

In the old days, I drove one of those 211's all the way to the beach (Prudhoe Bay to Southern Alberta), and I didn't even have a manual.

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

Brad

Finally got to speak with Major Tom.
A very great wealth of knowledge for which I am very thankful for, as well as all of you're in-puts.
He suggested tearing down the rear clutch assy to look for rust.
I dont know if I should be happy or not.
There wasno rust and everything looks just great. Clean and no wear.
We are going to re-asseble everything and flush it with keroseen as he suggests. Then fill with HiTran. and hope for the best.
We can find no problems with anything but it just would not do anything in high range?
Thanks again for everyones help.
Brad

artica5105

This is just a thought...When you put it back together and retest, leave the reduction unit linkage disconnected from the tower. You can reach down from the cab, grab the rod and either pull it forward for low or push it back for high (if I remember correctly). This way you can isolate the problem. If it works in both ranges while disconnected, the problem would seem to be in the shift tower. If it fails, I'm afraid you'll be pulling the transmission again. Don't feel to bad though...I get to do that again myself.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the engine rev to governed speed in high, but drive the truck normally in low? Or does the engine struggle (torque cconvertor stall) when in high range? If the latter, it is the cone being stuck as mentioned earlier in this thread, and I mentioned my unorthodox method of un-sticking it already. If the problem is no drive effort at all, I would pull the reduction valve body and look for stuck spools. I think you can pull this without pulling the trans.

Brad

Thanks for all the responses.
Works fine in low range.
When in high range it does not stall or lag. CAn rev just like in neutral. Does nothing.
However one time it worked. I drove it the length of the drive way, about 1/10 mile. Stopped and turned aroung, then high range would not work again.
Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have been studying TM9-8025-2 on your behalf, that is the manual for the Hydramatic, and there is no troubleshooting assistance for your problem. The external line between the reduction case and the 4 speed is so that when push starting the truck, oil pressure from the reduction unit pump can pressurize the front clutch packs/servos to get the trans to spin the engine. Also, when the truck is at a standstill, the pressure from the front pumps will actuate the reduction unit clutch packs. Since you still have drive in low range, I think the issue is in the control valve on top of the reduction case. Open it up and make sure everything is free inside. Also, leave the linkage off so you can leave the bellcrank in the two detent positions of low and high, by crawling underneath. That will eliminate the shift tower as a problem.
If this does not solve the issue, perform a pressure test. If the pressure drops really low during high range application, oil is blowing by the reduction unit clutch pack.

Brad

Together again, but still no high range.
There is just the very slightest noise difference when I shift into the high range side.
Thanks for your help everyone, but I just dont know what to do next.
It works just fine in low range, but not in high??
Brad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks