• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High scrap prices claim another M123A1C

AMGeneral

"We've been hit twice by scrap thieves. The big problem is the stuff they take and get $50 for cost us $1,000 to replace. The local police have been no help."

It's the same here M16,several months ago,I had 4 radiators get gone from here, 2 were fairly common,but the other 2 were for a M123A1C and a Mack powered 5 ton,both dang near irreplaceable,the thieves would have gotten about $180 at the scrapyard for all 4(they weren't clean brass/copper) but the replacment cost on JUST the core on the M123 radiator was about $3000!!

I don't leave ANYTHING easily carried off outside anymore.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a big pile of new AL tubing stolen. My uncle happened to pull into the lot while the theft was in progress. They got away but he was able to get the tag number (He chased them but they finally lost him). They arrested the lowlife, got back our AL, but the judge didn't do anything when it went to court. The AL disapeared again (after we got it back from the first thief) right after the court date.

The lowlife should be happy that my uncle ran into them and not me. I am pretty well armed at all times and hate to think what I'd do if I caught somebody stealing something that was bought with my hard earned money.

We have since put up a fence around the lot and as of yet we haven't had any more stealing.

54reo

Spent some time today hunting down the yard that received the truck only to find out that even though they cut the truck as soon as they got it, some parts were still there. In short, the manager of the yard said that he did not have the time to sell the individual parts that may be left over. Apparently all the tires and rims are still there, but he will not sell them. They wait until they have enough (no idea of what this may be) and then they haul them all off.

halftrackkid

Being a farmer I run people off the ranches every day!!! A high school buddy of mine is a scrapper an I made a deal with him to buy ANY MILITARY MV's or surplus hardware he found for a little more then scrap price. I have saved a ton of stuff! Example....bought a running M880 (complete in camo) on its way to th scrap yard for $300.00! Half of my collection I have saved! www.olivedrabdrivers.com Machine Gun Marc Bakersfield,Ca

atvcat33

54 reo should of went vocal with this along time ago, u obviosly dont have $$ so you should of told someone else, what a waste, holding secrets about trucks, i hate that!!!!, to bad,

jollyroger

In the last few weeks we have been having a lot of trespassing on the farm with people asking me about scrap. People either open the gates with the six no trespassing signs on them or just block the gates and walk a quarter mile from the highway down to the yard.

With the last guy I kind of got upset with him. We have lost some animals to Coyotes and I had been up all night Coyote huntin'. I went to bed at 0730 and he rang the doorbell promptly at 0800. I had just gotten to sleep. He didn't speak much english but he got what I was sayin'.

And we get a ton of notes in the mailbox every week about they would take our old cars etc. If I want to get rid of something I take it to the iron yard. DUH!aua:deadhorse::doh::soapbox:

We use a 55 gal drum with scrap in it to with an arm welded to the top with the mail box on it. Poking through the fence at the top of the driveway. Monday morning I saw a green Chevy pickup stop there for several minutes. I walked up the driveway with the dogs, and my S&W .45 and they left quickly. I saw some bed springs and such in the back of the truck. When I got up there I noticed some of the old brake drums were missing out of the barrel.

As to the MV scrap.......I intelectualize it's a business for scrappers. And I do my share of scrapping of something that someone somewhere would proly die to have even though it's junk. But my Dad and I don't scrap anything surplus military. It's just too painful for us to think about it. We just bought two trucks at an auction this last week. The right thing to do business wise is to part them out or scrap them. But they are too unique for us to do that.

Last October we bought some stuff at auction in Wyoming. I could not believe some of the prices. It was outrageous. I managed to get ONE truck from there. They had a line of M-37's, M211's, M-35's and M-54 and some scrap piles. I had to concentrate on the M-35 I wanted. I did not have enough left to get the parts truck for the M-35 cause it went for as much as the one I bought. Come to find out the Iron yard across the street was buing everything up. Lots of good trucks went Bye Bye from that auction........Tells me I need to make more money. :deadhorse::soapbox:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about where you guys live, but down here in FL, steel prices have gone DOWN $2.50/hundred in the past two weeks.
They went down $2.50 or they went down to $2.50 a hundred? That would make scrap $50/ton. I just called and it was $269/ton in Dayton three weeks ago.

Oldfart

I just did a quick online check of the Denver. CO area and the only yard that posts a current price they would pay showed $0.06 per pound for scrap iron. Chicago #1 scrap steel is currently shown as about $0.19 a pound. That price has remained stable for several months. See attached price chart for the last 5 years.

Attachments

landfillman

I just saw a sad site here. I got a call leaving work and a friend told me a logger was in need of a few truck parts. He has the biggest Army truck Ive ever seen. He says its a 10 ton. They use it as a pull out truck and have a large winch on it for recovering equipment. I had met it pulling a load of logs out the other day after the tornados come through. He said it was sitting on the landing and some one cut radiator out, and stole all the trailer pig tails and Cut the the Grapple and end of the boom off the Knuckle boom that was hooked to the 5th wheel. Also stole the empty skid tank for fuel and cut the bolsters off 2 log trailers.

THey followed the oil leaked from the grapple cylinders to a man that hauls scrap. Then the trail left there and heads the backroad into Alabama. From there it could have went to TVR in SHeffield AL or to Corinth MS to SMC. At SMC they take your DL and tag for Aluminm and copper but Steel they jst take the DL. You dump in front of the grinder there. I had a friend that lost a newish JD fold up planter. He was away on Gaurd Duty and it was taken from his implement shed. He had a genral idea who took it but the Resident Lard ass sheriff sayd it was just junk dont bother with pursuing it. THe planter was abot 24 000.

THe Farmer went to SMC and talked to one of the managers and they wouldnt allow him on the yard. He went on in anyway and found one of the parts that was culled for Plastic that had an ID number. It was his planter that went through the shreadder. I think the yard is paying the deductible on the insurance fo a newer planter.
The steel policy is useless as the women in the yard office that take DLs dont take load pictures.

THe logger with the Pull out truck has had little help from the sheriff in MS but Colbert county AL s has really done a run around.

He has the top and bottom of a spare radiator I know a place that might build a new Core for it.
My neighbor that scrapped all the old equipment and MVs wasnt allowed to sell at the local places so he got a local scrapper to take it for him for a share.

Im having all inds of offers for my farm collection I run them all off. I by scrap alot of times at a local yard for projects. I have a loose heard of big dogs running around here to that helps bunches.

Our sheriffs Dept is super helpful Lots of sarcasm here. I have a customer that I do some welding for and he had a load of Tractor parts for his market garden backed under the carport. He saw 3 older teens running away with metal. It was all stainless. He calls the law and they come out there with the main deputy. He ID ed the kids and they found the stolen items in their posession. The kids also stole a case of beer in his carport fridge.

2 ofthe teens are under house arrest 19 years old legal age bt still called teens. They have on ankle braclets but they were off as they were supposed to be in school that day. I was there and gave a professional estimate of the value of the parts around 500 dollars. The sheriff says well those boys have been in enough trouble and anymore they will be going to jail. Im gonna let them go as their parent are having a hard time. Then they turn around and write my friend a 250 dollar ticket for having beer in a dry county.

This election year there 5 running for that office and one is a former MP with all sorts of credentials. Guess where Im placing my vote.

Sorry for any thread drift Im about to have an episode thinking about all this waste.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks