• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HIGH SPEED GEAR SWAP With Photos, 1995 A-0

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With Company gone for two weeks, its back to Thor's gear project.

New parts have arrived and are sorted from Meritor. I hauled the hubs in last evening and set about to see how it all comes out with the CTIS seals.

This is how the seals are set into the hub. Its a spring retainer and you can pop them out with a couple of small screw drivers.

Hub 0.jpg

The blackish goo that is everywhere is left over RTV. aua Again, don't be this guy...

Under the retainer are the hard plastic rings..

Hub 2.jpg

..and under these are the seals..

Hub 1.jpg

I removed these with a large punch and hammer, carefully noting how they came out for re-installation of the new ones. The hubs will now get a bath in the parts washer and I'll do the install on the weekend.

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Soup For You!

After cleaning one of the wheel hubs, I attempted to install one of the CTIS seals along with its plastic ring. Of note, on one side of the seal it says 'high pressure side'..

Hub seals.jpg

The 'soup can' as a seal driver, trick was sub-optimal in my case.

After calling all of the auto parts stores in town to see if they had a seal driver kit to rent, I broke down and ordered a universal driver kit from a popular online marketplace. It should be here by Tuesday.
(52 Piece Seal Drive Set, Bushing Removal Tool, Bushing Driver Set). In the meantime, I may attempt to install the axle seals in the front housing and insert the half shafts. Then I can at least install the stub axles and the brake backing plate.

I still have several weekends before I leave for the Black Rock Playa, so no worries... yet.

Pointman

Last edited:

coachgeo

for quick install of highspeed 3rd in front axle (mostly so can get stock one/core out and ready for pickup asap) do ya'll think you could remove 4 bolts above and below king pin? on backside ... and then slide whole thing; axle and all outward so can swap the 3rd??? or will there be something that will stop the whole thing with axle attached from sliding out enough?

I have front axle seal kit... and will do complete disassembly and install it.... but delays has pushed us into..... just wanting to respect Bryce's kindness, helps and assistance and get this front third out and other one is so he can pick my cores up as he comes thru town. My rear MTV core is ready for him. Just got to get front third off now.

Last edited:

wandering neurons

Well, now that’s an interesting thought.
Based on my time shimming my LMTV king pins and looking at the TM’s, it should work.
It seems that the front axle shaft is a floater like the rear, only with a knuckle in the middle.
So, the four king pin bolts are tough, lots of torque. Even with the brake drum removed everything is HEAVY. You’ll have to pull air brake and CTIS hoses as well as the tie rod and drag link.
Then you’d have to start the axle shaft in the third member and into the knuckle on assembly.
If you had a cradle for the knuckle to help support and align, I’d say it should work. And it’d save many hours of work.
On the other hand, you’d miss the fun of replacing a bunch of seals and re-shimming the spider gears...

for quick install of highspeed 3rd in front axle (mostly so can get stock one/core out and ready for pickup asap) do ya'll think you could remove 4 bolts above and below king pin? on backside ... and then slide whole thing; axle and all outward so can swap the 3rd??? or will there be something that will stop the whole thing with axle attached from sliding out enough?

I have front axle seal kit... and will do complete disassembly and install it.... but delays has pushed us into..... just wanting to respect Bryce's kindness, helps and assistance and get this front third out and other one is so he can pick my cores up as he comes thru town. My rear MTV core is ready for him. Just got to get front third off now.

coachgeo

Well, now that’s an interesting thought.
Based on my time shimming my LMTV king pins and looking at the TM’s, it should work.
It seems that the front axle shaft is a floater like the rear, only with a knuckle in the middle.
So, the four king pin bolts are tough, lots of torque. Even with the brake drum removed everything is HEAVY. You’ll have to pull air brake and CTIS hoses as well as the tie rod and drag link.
Then you’d have to start the axle shaft in the third member and into the knuckle on assembly.
If you had a cradle for the knuckle to help support and align, I’d say it should work. And it’d save many hours of work.
On the other hand, you’d miss the fun of replacing a bunch of seals and re-shimming the spider gears...
thank you for your input. You might can save me additional time.... got an idea on what section of tm covered the King Pins you shimmed?

Aernan

No Soup For You!(52 Piece Seal Drive Set, Bushing Removal Tool, Bushing Driver Set). In the meantime, I may attempt to install the axle seals in the front housing and insert the half shafts. Then I can at least install the stub axles and the brake backing plate.
Pointman
ok that saved me getting stuck mid process. Care to share what the kit (bushing driver kit) is called or where I can source it?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok that saved me getting stuck mid process. Care to share what the kit (bushing driver kit) is called or where I can source it?
I can't speak specifically to this one, but many of the tools and seal drivers have mechanical drawings in the back of the TMs, so that you can make them.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't it silly we can't use regular English to make a suggestion like yours.
The rules even specifically say you can't hint or in any other way allude to links either. Sometimes the silly rules of this site make me want to start my own where people can post whatever they want.

Following the rule writer's justification of not showing people secret auctions for rare stuff, I don't see why posting a link to a current production retail site should harm anyone.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so my comment will not be taken in a caustic way, that is, being against forum rules, I fully agree that current auction items should not be broadcast for all to see. I just smile at the perceived need to call Ebay "Epay" or any of the dozen aliases for it, Amazon "Amazing" etc. to avoid an infraction. Sorry to have derailed the thread.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the project!

After receiving my seal driver set, it became apparent that none of the discs would be large enough to properly drive the CTIS seals in.. aua

Seal tools.jpg.

Thankfully my friend Mike Alley at A&B Fabrication, in Minden, created this from aluminum for the project...

Special tool.jpg

Using this I had the CTIS seals and the front axle outer seals installed and the front half shafts inserted before sundown. (Sound like a Western..)

While cleaning up and discarding old parts I was reminded of this.

Seal Swarf.jpg

I have spent way to much time cleaning RTV swarf from the hubs, bearings, caps, etc. on this project. I'm hoping this was just left over from a field repair, although there are third-party repair vendor tags on both axles... Hmmmm...

Here are the installed CTIS seals.

Seated seal.jpg

So now we can move on the installing the stub axles, brake backing plate and hubs. I can almost feel it, and its only Thursday...

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spindle seal help!

In putting everything back together, I am at the point where the front half shafts are installed and I am ready to install the spindles and the brake backing plates.

I recall when I pulled the spindles there was a seal on the back that faced the brake backing plate. In looking at the parts breakdown on TM 9-2320-365-24P, It is not showing, or I am just not reading it right.

Can anyone verify what the Meritor part number is for this? (I went back out and and sifted through my discarded seals and came up with a 1205-D-2344. It fit on the half shaft and appears to go into the spindle end. So, I may have answered my own question.)

Pointman

Last edited:

coachgeo

....Thankfully my friend Mike Alley at A&B Fabrication, in Minden, created this from aluminum for the project...

View attachment 739186
Using this I had the CTIS seals and the front axle outer seals installed and the front half shafts inserted....[/quote]What size seal driver is needed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks