• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High Speed Gears vs. Detroit-style Locker ... difficult decisions to be made

sjohn116

Let me preface this with "I've read almost every thread in the forum for FMTVs on the topic" and think this is a separate conversation from those already posted on similar, but different, topics. If not viewed as "different," it definitely would be a great place to summarize the experiences of those that have made one/both of the changes discussed below.

I have a M1081 that is going to serve my purposes for a truck. It will also serve the purpose of being a very LONG term project truck and, in a decade, likely a full rebuild/restoration. Three vehicles in one. I'm not allowed any more toys/vehicles in this lifetime, as explicitly stated by the boss...other than a classic Austin Mini for her, must be right hand drive. That is a different story.

The uses for the M1081 as a truck are as follows:
1). Once or twice a month to big box stores for whatever wont fit in a passenger car
2). Occasional commutes to/from work, 90 miles round trip, 2 lane country roads (40-55mph speed limits)
3). Use in snow that once or twice a year is measured in feet, and not inches (snow doesnt affect my work schedule, I must show up **** or high water).

All that being said, I am aware of the limitations of the truck, and am not trying to make it into something its not. I have NO desire to drive the truck above 55mph. Its too big, heavy, the tires are too knobby, etc. etc. etc to be trying to keep up with tractor trailers doing 70mph on the interstate. I also have NO desire to take the truck mudding, heavy off-roading, etc. The intended uses of the truck are stated above, and now the debate comes to the forefront.

The argument on the left: Do I go ahead and buy "high speed" axles, not to increase top speed, not to squeeze a little bit more MPG, but to drop the engine RPMs on my mostly back country road cruising, and just have peace of mind that the engine isnt dragging its tongue trying to maintain highway speed?

The argument on the right: Do I buy the detroit-style locker for the rear end to get a bit more out of the truck in the event of a heavy snowfall, even if a rare event? Or do I leave the rear end alone and just "drive thru" the brakes when needed?

Furthermore, it seems that the supply of "high-speed" axles/pumpkins are limited and are only going to get harder to find as the caiman's are destroyed in the scrap yards. The newly-available detroit style lockers seem like they will be more readily acquired, so long as the two companies don't go out of business. Neither of these upgrades are a big priority right now, but with these trucks and the difficulty in finding parts, it almost seems like a "buy now, install later" proposition.

Lastly, if you have made the leap to "high-speed" gearing, please give me your 100% honest assessment of the feel/change in: low end torque/take-off and decrease in RPMs while cruising. I dont need to win a tractor pull in 1st or 2nd gear, but I dont need to put undue stress on the drivetrain trying to get 18,000lbs rolling from a stop, either on level ground or a slight incline.

Ok, I think I've laid out my logic and await the tales of your personal encounters. In a perfect world of bottomless pockets, there would be no debate. But such is life. Money is limited.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents: If you have your high speed 3rd members laying on the bench, what better time to drop in the locker?

Doug Roberts

I'm in the same camp with you. I'm hoping to get more done on my M1078 come spring. I already have the high speed gears , and many other upgrades ready to go. Dropping RPMs can only be a good thing , and as NDT just said ... get it all done while you're at it.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be interested to hear someone's experience with a locker in the rear and driving on the road in snowy/icy conditions. I have an older suburban with a Detroit Tru Trac in the rear and it does change the street manners. Some people say it is more dangerous as it can cause the rear end to break traction and slide easier, but I think that depends a lot on your own experience and abilities. With my suburban I have driven it enough that the locker doesn't bother me on the street even in snow. Don't forget about that MODE button too. I did find myself in the snow out in a field and got in one spot where the tires would spin and it wouldn't move. I put it into MODE and it pulled out. You just can't use MODE on dry hard surfaces, but for a truly snow covered road it might be OK.

sjohn116

The intention was to get feedback from people who have made one or both of the above changes, and weigh in on which one would be more beneficial for my uses.

You can disregard my OP...I've decided to go with high speed gearing just to reduce load/rpms at 55mph.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks