• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High voltage m1009

S0UTHERNB1GF00T

Ok first off I did convert my 1984 m1009 cucv to 12 volts. I'm using just the passenger alternator and 1 battery. but my voltage is at 14.8 all the time, I let it idle for about 30 minutes and was still the same voltage. Does drop some when I turn the lights on. I've heard mixed reviews that it was ok and some say it's to high any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

cucvrus

12.6 volts

Fully charged automotive batteries should measure at 12.6 volts or above. When the engine is running, this measurement should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts. If you don't have a multimeter to tell you the voltage of your battery, you can do a test of your electrical system by starting the car and turning on the headlights.
Also keep in mind you could have a draw on the electrical system and a low amp battery may also cause a slight over charge. Be Safe. Good Luck.

Barrman

If you only have a single battery. Your charging system could be just fine. It is playing catch-up because even a 12 volt starter on the 6.2 diesel needs over 1500 amps. You probably have an 800-1000 amp battery in there. Glow plug and starting is draining your battery and the alternator is trying to fill it back up.

Expect the single battery to die very soon is my thought. Adding another battery in parallel is my suggestion. Then see how things shake out with charging voltage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks