• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High water/Fire Department M925A2

LCFD

My Fire Department has recently acquired a M925A2 vehicle with high water capability. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle seems to be in very good shape. We will not be using this truck for rural firefighting. This truck will be mostly used for water rescues, special operations and logistical. We have marshes and beaches so this truck will suit our needs very well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because it sounds like you will be dealing with brakish water, within 24 hours of taking her swimming, you will need to take all the hubs off and inspect/relube/clean, or serious damage can result. At a minimum, I would put silicone single piece axle boots on the front axle as soon as you get it, and replace all the hub seals on the entire truck. This will help slow or prevent water intrusion.

Another good idea would be to take the little axle breather caps off, put a hose barb on, and run lenths of rubber hose up into the cab higher than you plan on swimming it, to help keep water from getting in the axle vents.

They were more designed to cross a river or creek than be submerged for long periods.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take pics of the dash. I wonder if it really has a fording kit on it. While some Army trucks had them, most did not. The Marines never used the A2s and they would have installed the fording kit. The Navy, I guess, could have installed a fording kit because they did use the A2s, but I had a Seabee M925A2 once that did NOT have a fording kit on it. Just trying to be sure to help you. All of the M939s have what appear to be elevated air intakes so don't mistake that for a fording kit.

LCFD

I unfortunately don't have pictures of the dash. The truck was used by the New Jersey national guard. The air intake and exhaust was up high. The air filter is water tight and CBRN. I believe the sergeant showing us the vehicle said it had the high water fording kit.

What are the telltale signs? How would I find out?

If it doesn't have the kit installed where can I purchase one?

Also, we were thinking of line-ex'ing (form of bed liner) the bed, inside of the can and undercarriage (as much as possible) of the truck.

thanks again guys! keep um coming.

On the passenger side of the truck in the cab there should be a cable/handle sticking out with a plate beside it saying it has a deep water fording kit. All the handle does it close off breather tubes to the engine, powersteering pump and I think the transmission. Mine has it but it is an a1 and I have yet to use it and probably never will.

LCFD

I don't recall seeing a handle like the one your speaking of. Where could I purchase this kit from?

Also, do you think this truck has ABS?

I dont know where to get a kit from. Maybe fab one up yourself? If the truck had ABS then it would have a light near the guages that is yellow/orange color that should have ABS printed right above the light.

LCFD

Found a high water fording kit on the eastern supply website. I unfortunately didn't know about the ABS issue and didn't look to see if it had it. I was told by the sergeant the truck was overhauled in 2010 so i would assume it was added (I don't assume anything anymore)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The fording kits out there are for 800 series trucks. I have heard of a few 929a1 trucks having them but never an a2. Though it does exist somewhere I found contract info on the a2 kit on the web once. I believe you can extend all the vent lines up along the intake stack and should be ok. All if them are good for around 3 feet without the fording kit and in an emergency you can go deeper it may cause damage but I believe it will still run and you will get thru. You would have to drain and flush all the fluids everywhere in the truck after doing that though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No it is not for your vehicle. You won't find one for an a2. How deep in water do you plan on going. There are a few vids on YouTube of a guy in his deuce crusin along next to a boat in a good 5 feet of water but he is on a flooded road. Trying to drive thru several feet of water doesn't work out well because you can't see what's down there till you hit it. Your a2 can do 3 feet if water with no fording kit. The object of the fording kit is to cross streams not to drive long term thru 5 feet of water. Put a zodiac in the back you can come and go from it if the water is getting deeper than 3 feet.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will know if your truck has ABS because there is a little amber light with a data plate surrounding it at the bottom left of the gauge cluster. Also, the truck SHOULD have a sticker in the bottom right (as you face the truck) corner of the driver's windshield.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
TM 9-2320-272-24P-2 figure 598 shows the 939a2 deepwater fording kit and related parts you may have to go forward or back a page or two for all the parts info

LCFD

I can't figure out how to post pictures.

we aren't looking to go in any water if we don't have to. With that being said as I'm sure most of you guys know you come upon situations that you must do things you don't want/didn't plan on doing. We are attempting to set this up for worse case scenarios. We aren't worried about losing the truck as much as we are worried about helping/rescuing people. The high water fording kit would give us a leg up in certain situations

suprman where can I find the parts? Which website?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the kit was available I would have one. The best thing you can do is to extend the vent lines from the transmission and 3 chucks up the intake stack. The transfer case might have one too. Then grease the heck out of all the grease fittings they are listed in the lubrication order tm. I had made a thread on fording a while back another member had said he extended the vent lines and had gotten buried to the top of the tires in mud for several hours and no water got into anything. I do think 3 feet of water would be fine as long as you check everything after.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks