• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hind Sight 20x20!

GrizzlyEater

As I'm still without a Deuce and have read almost all the TM's (a little wordy, and hard to visualize without a green beauty to go and actually look at of my own) and countless threads (which are awesome!) not too much longer to officially be diagnosed with MV fever of my very own. I just wanted to curb my learning scale of hard knox by learning from other's mistakes. aua :D So I figured to start a thread (haven't seen one like this yet) to ask you guys what mistakes, bad decisions, what you would have done different, etc...... When I get mine I plan on restoring it "historically" accurate. However if you have a lesson for those "bobbing" or some abstract project please feel free to chime in to possibly help someone out trying to do something similar.

Triple C

You are definitely starting out right! Kudos to you for reading the TM's. Be sure you read the thread about the true cost of ownership. I can't remember who posted it but it is really good info. I own a 5ton not a deuce but I can say that I did almost every thing wrong on my recovery ( except for insurance!) but was fortunate. By coincidence I took a person (my brother in law) who was very knowledgeable on the trucks having spent 20 years in the army working on them. He probably realized how little I knew about them and gracefully decided to help out. I had years in trucking but failed to understand the difference between commercial vehicles and tactical ones. All in, I would say you are likely to underestimate the cost of ownership and find someone knowledgeable to help you out and have fun!

welldigger

Well I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes before and since buying my deuce. But, I can honestly say the biggest cost I didn't calculate is maintenance and fixing problems the previous owner pretended weren't there. Such as a failed air pack and shotty brakes in general. Easily repairable but when you add all of those parts together it turns into a chunk of money. Now when you start modifying that's when the money really flies out of your wallet.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As welldigger said. See my signature.

Also, what do you consider "historically accurate"? Do you mean "as it was first delivered to the Army"? Or does it include the upgrades and improvements the military itself made to the truck until it left active service?

I want to keep my truck "military". So, no chrome double stacks and flat black paint jobs. However, OEM military LED head- and taillights, G286 radials etc. are permissible upgrades that improve safety and driveability, while remaining "accurate" for a military vehicle.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Buy what you want (winch, dropside, etc.).

2. Buy the best truck you can afford and if you can't afford it, wait.

3. Read every thread in the deuce forum before asking questions. By reading the TM's, you're ahead of 90% of folks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really hind sight but I will tell you from experience that all that stuff in the TMs that's not quite so clear, will be absolutely clear when you are sitting in the truck. You will be so thankful you read them when it's time to own one. My best thought is don't try to make it something it's not and don't try to justify it for a job it can't do. My biggest mistake was not planning out the expenses of the first recovery. Every plan needs to have a sack of backup plans.

bigginstactical

My biggest mistake was not buying more then one.... Your way ahead of the game already. Its a mechanical beast. Mechanical things break and they cost money and time to fix. If your aware of that little fact and can except it, then by all means take the plunge. Every vehicle is its own struggle. You will read horror stories of all the problems someone had but the next thread will be how some guy drove is 8 hours without an issue. Its a crap shoot. If you are mentally prepared for some work and have the know how or know someone who does I'd say buy one. They are fun, they are addicting, and I hope you have a ton of room because you will not stop at one piece of rolling green iron! If you have no mechanical skills then you better have a wallet to back it up. If you can and will do the work yourself your wallet won't have to be as thick. Like stated before a lot of little problems become one big one. Safety first, that will give you a good place to start if it runs and drives... do the breaks!!! then start ticking other things off. Id say one thing that most people on here could agree on is PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Most the repairs I have been facing are because of the previous owners lack of it. Love on the Deuce and it will love on you! haha good luck and welcome

peashooter

I see you live in Milaca, my best advice for you is to go visit Scott in Blaine and get to know him. (tie6044 I think is his SS name) He sells trucks and parts and knows lots of other folks with trucks that may be available for sale also in the region. Fortunately I found him via craigslist when I first got my truck. I had a few parts that I needed to replace and I was able to drive to his place and get them that day for far cheaper that I expected.
I'd second what Clinto said also though about "Buy the best truck you can afford and if you can't afford it, wait."

Dipstick

I own a bobbed Deuce. He's actually a foot or so shorter than many full size pickups with an eight foot bed. Bobs are very easy to maneuver around town and on narrow country roads. My advice would be to put on your grubbies and crawl under your prospective purchase with a flash light. You can tell a lot about how a truck has been maintained (or not) from the underside. Everything that pivots, swivels, or turns on a Deuce has a grease fitting. Makes sure it's received regular greasings. Also, look for oil leaks at the transmission, transfer case and bell housing. Checking for leaking brake cylinders and serious structural rust as well. Good luck with your future purchase!

GrizzlyEater

Thanks for sharing. I have downloaded all the TM's and am currently re-reading them. I want to get "hard" copies of some of them. Where's a good place to look for them, or is printing 500+ pages easier than it sounds? And to answer
Also, what do you consider "historically accurate"? Do you mean "as it was first delivered to the Army"? Or does it include the upgrades and improvements the military itself made to the truck until it left active service?
I meant not bobbing or making a extended cab. However that is a great point, I will have to think about that...

GrizzlyEater

That's what I figured. Oh well, it will be a worthy purchase while wrenching on a MV. I don't for see having the laptop under the hood with me in some contorted position rofl

pyro1955

Best advise I was given: "Do not buy the first deuce you look at." Even if you really like it, look at a couple more, then if you still like it go back. I was glad that I passed on the first couple I looked at. Definately crawl under them, there is alot to be said for the underside of a Deuce.

duecedodger

I'm going to pick up another one in September got pics of it looks really good comes with bow, straps, canvas and heater. But if it looks bad underneath I aint buying it. And yes the underside of any vehicle will let you know what your getting in to if no rust or leaks its all good!5_22 006[1].jpg5_22 007[1].jpg5_22 010[1].JPG5_22 008[1].jpg5_22 009[1].jpg

PaRADIOMAN

That one from colemans you have pictures of is gone. Currently sits in my barn. After what their mech. said was a year of sit time with no starts i drove it 2hrs home at 40mph tops on flat ground. Some rust on the bed and door bottoms but it aint to bad. new fuel filters got me to almost 50mph on flat roads a 1/4 turn on the pump and now i can do 55 and climb hills in more than 2nd low. Only leak it has or had was a break line now fixed.

PaRADIOMAN

Hey Grizz the one deucedodger has pictures of is the one thats in my barn shoulda specified. It was even still next to the white van and orange tanker when i picked it up. except it had weeds to the top of the hood all the way around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks