• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hinges- Making a drop side out of a deuce bed

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hinges- Making a drop side out of a deuce bed

Howdy,
So for my bob project I wanted a configurable bed so that it is multi-purpose. So I took my donor deuce's bed and cut the sides and front off of it.

At first I was going to try to keep the front and re-used the sides by welding angle onto them.
Well for strength and ease issues I have cut the bed into a flat deck, tacked up 2x3 box beam side frames and a more rigid 2x3 head ache front.

I have spent a couple days looking for a vendor that sells a hinge similar in appearance and dimension to those used on the deuce tail gate. The only ones I was able to locate were in a catalog from the UK.

All the trailer parts places sell a barrel hinge that has none of the tabs/flags on them.

Does anyone have a lead on where to find the hinges in the picture below?

It looks like if I got some bar stock and a torch I might be able to bend some, but since I have never done it before I thought i would try to buy some online.

Any leads are greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Attachments

wbdodgeiv

I converted to a drop side a while ago. I cut the sides off and then welded 3x3 angle to the bottom. I also added some 1/4x4 flat bar where I cut the sides off on the bed. I made barrel hinges from some 1x1/8 wall tubing and 3/4 CR for the pins. It works like a charm and is quite sturdy, I don't think you need the strap hinge, that said if you wanted the strap hinge mcmaster has 15195A49 which could work. You want a lift-off hinge style I believe.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wbdodgeiv,
Thanx for the info - I will have to kick myself as I use McMaster yellow catalogs for everything at work, but because it didn't pop up in my searches I didn't even think to use them. I will also chew on the inch tubing idea.
I will search to see if you did a write up on your bed mods., but if not when you get a chance can you post a couple of pix?

ODdave,

Here is one,
I will dig up and send you some more.
There are also some in this thread.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...t-more-fun-recovering-5-ton-two-2-5-tons.html

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks