• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hints or tricks for mounting solar charger on a MEP-8xx

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Does anyone have any mounting location ideas for a 24VPSC PulseTech Solar Charger?

Yes, I know how to mount it. I am looking for some ideas of oops, I should have mounted it in the middle, or I should mount it more to the left side, I should have put more silicone underneath, etc...

I have 2 units which I will be mounting. A MEP-802A, and a MEP-803A. 24VPSC PulseTech 735x640

Because, once I mount it, it will obviously stay there. Holes and all. :wink:

Any ideas on where to best place the control box? I would prefer to solidly mount it, and not just let it hang from what I have scene from units with solar panels. Left side? right side? next to the 24v slave port?

Thanks,

Chrispyny

Hey daybreak. Did you figure this out? I ask cause i have one coming, and i'm considering just siliconing it to the southern facing side of the genset, OR building a small pedestal out of a pressure treated 4x4 and mounting the solargizer to it. Sounds silly but i don't want to mount the solargizer to the very top like is seen so often because i'll have to constantly brush snow off it in the winter. Considering the winter is when i'll need the batteries topled off the most, it would be counter productive. Lemme know how you did it. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
This will sound like a rube goldberg set up, but I saw two gen sets that came back from down range. A guy bought some 6mm all thread. He mounted it to the set by unscrewing one of the top cover bolts/nuts, and sticking a 6mm bolt through the top panel, but from the inside out. He then bought a connector, used to connect two 6mm pieces of all thread. He screwed the connector down on the screw. It stuck up about 2-3 mm. When the sets were emplaced, he screwed a piece of all thread into the connector, that was 10-15 cm long. On the top of the all thread, he screwed another connector on, that had a ball swivel on it. He mounted a plate,to it, to mount the solar cell on. Ran wires down to a hole he drilled on the side of the set and ran his wires down and into the set. Used wire ties to keep the wire in place. He could swivel the cell in any direction he wanted to catch the sun. Kant it to an angle to keep rain and snow off it. When the sets were moved, he unscrewed it. The whole thing didn't cost him more then about a couple bucks, at a hardware store. Does any of this make sense to you? I suppose I could draw a picture of it if I had to.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 802 already had a Solargizer mounted to it when I pick it up from Ft. Meade.
A couple of pics of it's mounting.
The solar panel is mounted to the top with 4 bolts thru the top (nuts and lock washers on the inside)
Small hole near the panel for the wires to pass thru to the interior.
(Small black wires are from the two wall-wart Battery Tenders in the garage.)

Solargizer 1.jpg

Controller mounted to interior panel behind and slightly above the slave port.
Solargizer 2.jpg

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
NO, I have not mounted it yet. I have seen others mounted on the auction units. I wanted to know if there were any oops things. Like should have mounted more to he center, or more to the side etc...

I like the idea of mounting it on a little pole and having a good 20 degree lean for a more direct sun angle.

Mine is NOT a Solargizer IS24L.

I have a PulseTech 24VPSC 735x640. (NSN 6130-1-487-0035)The solar panel is listed as 6.3 watts and is 9" x 11"

PulseTech 24VPSC 735X640.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Howdy all.

In my mass of junk, I have come across an IS-24-L, 24 Volt Industrial Solargizer, NSN 6130-01-392-8347. I would be glad to part with it for cost of shipping. The hitch is that I live in Germany. I have to find out what it cost to send, but if the shipping cost is lower then what you would need to spend to buy one in the States and ship it to yourself, it might be worth it. Sadly, when one retires in Germany, one can not send or receive more then 16 Oz in the Army Postal System. As the Solargizer and box is 550 grams without wrapping, I can not send it that way. So I have to use the German postal system. I think the kit is complete. The plastic bag of "goodies" is still sealed up. No instructions in it, but with only two wires, red and black, even a 63B wheel and track mechanic should be able to guess how to hook it up. So if your intrested in it, send me a PM. We can work it out.

Guyfang

Chrispyny

Howdy,
I was lucky to come across it on the _bay, at a good price.
Not to step on guyfangs excellent offer, but there is one of yours on the big bay site now, for $90 or best offer. Had i known these exist and are double the size of my is24l, i would have gotten one of these suckers instead. But so ething is better than nothing.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy all.

In my mass of junk, I have come across an IS-24-L, 24 Volt Industrial Solargizer, NSN 6130-01-392-8347. I would be glad to part with it for cost of shipping. The hitch is that I live in Germany. I have to find out what it cost to send, but if the shipping cost is lower then what you would need to spend to buy one in the States and ship it to yourself, it might be worth it. Sadly, when one retires in Germany, one can not send or receive more then 16 Oz in the Army Postal System. As the Solargizer and box is 550 grams without wrapping, I can not send it that way. So I have to use the German postal system. I think the kit is complete. The plastic bag of "goodies" is still sealed up. No instructions in it, but with only two wires, red and black, even a 63B wheel and track mechanic should be able to guess how to hook it up. So if your intrested in it, send me a PM. We can work it out.

Guyfang
Howdy,
I would say a member over there might want to grab that up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks