• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hissing from the Cadillac valve

The previous owner of my current Humvee installed a "manual" control for the Cadillac valve (his reason was "I don't like when it goes over 180*F", even though as far as I know this engine is supposed to run between 190 and 220*F)
The "manual control" for the valve consists of a switch that overrides the thermal switch and engages/disengages the fan clutch
Now, as the title suggest, when the "manual control" is off, meaning the fan clutch is not engaged, I can hear a pretty distinctive hissing which I suppose comes from the valve, is this something completely normal?
The hissing goes away completely if I engage the fan clutch

rcamacho

It’s normal.
An insulator between the valve and mount will suppress the noise. I’ve run a Fernco sleeve of the appropriate ID in the past with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hissing is totally normal. I put a folded chunk of motorcycle inner tube around mine. Part of owning a HMMWV. Sometimes hisses, sometimes doesn't.
Welcome to the club!
BDGR