• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Historical Refrences for the Deuce

cyberspace_7

:cool:I REALLY want to get a deuce for a Vietnam Era living history group I'm putting together. It is only a matter of time (and money of course)! My problem is while trying to research the historical accuracy of what I want to do with the deuce is that a general search on yahoo doesn't produce any definitive sites on the deuce. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites with good historical data (especially Vietnam Era) out there? I have of course run across some good pictures on vets sites or good Vietnam history sites, but these are few and far between. Just not enough to keep me going!aua I'm looking for original engine types (turbo/nonturbo?), markings, or any other interesting info. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike,

I have a deuce which is configured to represent a vehicle of that era, see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/roger-wilco-66-albums.html .
I also collected a big load of pictures from that era: Classic_Deuce/classics

A member here, vtdeucedriver, helped me a lot with questions I had on historically correct markings and other things.

If you dig into the historical websites of transportation units operating in Vietnam, you also can find a lot of information, like

8TC.HTM
resources
http://www.transchool.eustis.army.mil/lic/documents/pdf/bellino.pdf
8th Transportation Group - Unit Pages
and many other websites.

Now get one :)

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

cyberspace_7

roger-wilco-66 Thanks a bunch:!: Your deuce looks great. Looks just about what I eventually want to do to one! Your cache of pictures is excellent to! I appreciate your sharing of those! I had started a little cache of pictures, but it looks like you've been at it for much more time than me! Also good websites. I skimmed them, but now will need to dig in a great deal more! Also curious how you decided to go with the 8th Transportation Group? Thanks again.:-D

Mike,

thanks! I wanted to have authentic markings on the truck and had some emails with vtdeucedriver aka Jeff, who showed me pictures of his trucks. I immediately liked them because of the 8th groups destinctive trademark, the yellow tipped hoods (apparently painted that way so company commanders could identify their trucks in convoys when riding in choppers above them). That's how I decided to go by that. By the way, there are quite a few yellow nosed 8th group deuces among the steelsoldier participants now.
Maybe vtdeucedriver chimes in, he is very knowledgeable and might have some additional information for you!

Cheers,
Mark

emr

The 8th as group is popular with collectors for the same reason all collectors in any hobby type like it, they were visible with cool markings, so ones truck stands out, and there also seems to be more than a few guys who identify with this group, they were a big part of transportation there also, U mentioned a motor, I just so happen to have the correct motor ina crate for a truck of that era, its a 427 turbo, remanufacterd in 1964,ready to go, :-D...There are many paints out there but arvoe has the hands down most accurate 24087 in production today, U are in for a vast amount of history, some will tell U they did not do that some will say they did in many things U are going to try, remember, the Army is a mish mosh of everything they need, There was a transportation unit in iraq that had trucks dating 1954 I think was the oldest , So to be correct someone could do a truck like theres at that year and say it is coorect, it is a tangled web, Go for the closest U can get, And be happy with it, Most will also, Good Luck,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks