• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hitch-Bolster trailer

TadB

Quick question, I won a bolster trailer at Eastover Several weeks ago. I'm not real keen on the idea of pulling atrailer 175 miles that I have never seen(except in pictures). They do not have a lift there to set it on my gooseneck. My only other option is to disconnect from the gooseneck and back the bolster trailer on it, then reconnect. My question is, is will a civilian pintle work with the ring on the bolster trailer? Or is it too small?

Attachments

Nonotagain

Quick question, I won a bolster trailer at Eastover Several weeks ago. I'm not real keen on the idea of pulling atrailer 175 miles that I have never seen(except in pictures). They do not have a lift there to set it on my gooseneck. My only other option is to disconnect from the gooseneck and back the bolster trailer on it, then reconnect. My question is, is will a civilian pintle work with the ring on the bolster trailer? Or is it too small?
The M796 bolster trailer weighs 5900 lbs. Unless you have a way to hook up the brakes, I wouldn't tow it on its own wheels. Make sure to release the two parking brake handles.

The trailer moves rather easily, so you shouldn't have a problem moving it onto your gooseneck.

You need a 12,000 lb rated pintle for a lunette that is 3 1/2" in diameter. A Valley 2 5/16" combo ball/pintle is too small for the ring to drop over.

TadB

Im going to put it on the gooseneck. I just didnt know if the ring on the bolster trailer was too large for a civy pintle(for when I'm backing it onto the gooseneck). Only reason I ask is I know the pintle on my five ton is too large for the pintle on my 30 ton civy tag trailer. So I did'nt know if it would work the other way

NEIOWA

If you're worried, jack it up and see if the wheels turn freely. Or plan B pull it for a mile and check if hubs are hot. If OK, and you drive with a lick of sense, pull it home. Not rocket science.

Most Army trailers get little use (or maintenance). + or - depends on your point of view.

TadB

I'm not worried. Its only going to be moved far anough for me to back it up on my gooseneck. I'm going to haul it home. Just wanted to make sure i had the right hitch to hool up to it(to put it on the trailer).

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your civi pintle will work on the bolster. Its too heavy for even a 1 ton! You can back it on your goosenect, if necessary, but they will often be able to help you load it. I have even drug trailers up on my trailer with a come-along, frontwards, and backwards. If you back it on the trailer, you might have a problem when you get to the landing gear on the tongue. It hangs down quite a ways. You might just un-pin it, when you get to it, and leave the tongue rest on the deck. Throw the landing gear into your pick up for the ride home. Good Luck

benand117

How is the bolster too heavy for a one ton, but it isn't too heavy to add it to a trailer and tow that. My 1992 half ton chevy is rated to tow 7000lbs. I have towed a lot of cars on a tow dolly with it that weigh 4000lbs. The dolly has no brakes and it also has no tongue weight. If the bolster weighs 4800lbs and it's empty, as long as i had a pintle that was large enough, I would pull it home with anything half ton and up.

TadB

Since getting the bolster traler home I Have pulled it several times (unloaded) with my F250. I pull it behind the deuce picking up logs for my Woodmizer. I dont think I would be comfortable pulling it with a 3/4 ton loaded!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks