• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmm.. That exaust is rather dark..

BIG_RED

I removed the coolant Y-pipe (the thing with the thermostat in it, not sure what it's officially called) on my '86 M1009 to replace the gaskets, because they had started leaking pretty bad. To get stuff out of my way, I unhooked the hose leading from the oil filler neck to the CDR valve on the oil filler side and bent it up (and held it there with copper wire or something - don't quite remember.

When I was done and everything was back the way it was, I started the truck and took a walk around while it warmed up. I only let it sit half a minute cause it was smoking up the garage. Then i backed it out (just put it in gear, no throttle) and parked it outside. I let it run as i plugged in the block heater (it's cold here in Canada) and suddenly noticed a dark black cloud forming behind the truck. The truck didn't sound any different. I walked over to the back end and noticed black liquid dripping from the exhasut (both sides). The smoke was thick and black as coal, maybe a little browner.

What I figure happened was that the oil sludge crap that was sitting in the hose that i bent up drained into the CDR valve and then into the intake. But the problem isn't going away. The truck hasn't been run more than 5 minutes total like this. What on earth is going on? I pulled my CDR valve to clean it out. water runs right through it.. (no pressure, just from the tap). Is the CDR valve leaking oil vapors into the intake? Could that even explain the amount of smoke? Is the CDR valve shot? My oil seems about half a quart low, but i haven't checked it in a month. Any suggestions welcome.

CUCV85

Needs Help

I removed the coolant Y-pipe (the thing with the thermostat in it, not sure what it's officially called) on my '86 M1009 to replace the gaskets, because they had started leaking pretty bad. To get stuff out of my way, I unhooked the hose leading from the oil filler neck to the CDR valve on the oil filler side and bent it up (and held it there with copper wire or something - don't quite remember.

When I was done and everything was back the way it was, I started the truck and took a walk around while it warmed up. I only let it sit half a minute cause it was smoking up the garage. Then i backed it out (just put it in gear, no throttle) and parked it outside. I let it run as i plugged in the block heater (it's cold here in Canada) and suddenly noticed a dark black cloud forming behind the truck. The truck didn't sound any different. I walked over to the back end and noticed black liquid dripping from the exhasut (both sides). The smoke was thick and black as coal, maybe a little browner.

What I figure happened was that the oil sludge crap that was sitting in the hose that i bent up drained into the CDR valve and then into the intake. But the problem isn't going away. The truck hasn't been run more than 5 minutes total like this. What on earth is going on? I pulled my CDR valve to clean it out. water runs right through it.. (no pressure, just from the tap). Is the CDR valve leaking oil vapors into the intake? Could that even explain the amount of smoke? Is the CDR valve shot? My oil seems about half a quart low, but i haven't checked it in a month. Any suggestions welcome.
This may go away, someone will chime in don't worry!
My Brother and I used Kerosene to clean the CDR real good
then fogged the living b geezus out of it with WD 40
and then reinstalled - THERE I FIXED IT, he says to his Wife :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks