• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

NovacaineFix

I dug through and found a few more pics I thought were okay.

Again, these are photos, I took around town here in San Diego where we have a plethora of aircraft. Well, we have a lot of military vehicles from land, sea and both.
These aircraft are typically flying low around town "on patrol" or maneuvers. Now I must admit, as close as some of these aircraft look, they are a safe distance from the ground, I just happen to have a very nice telephoto lens that brings them closer so I can capture the details.

The Blue Angels were performing a practice rehearsal in El Centro before their 2015 season, so I had a chance to see and meet them and the crew, what an experience. BTW they were really close.
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 9.31.07 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-14 at 9.32.15 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-14 at 9.52.08 AM.jpg

These UH-60 Sikorsky Blackhawks you will find flying over San Diego everyday 24/7. They patrol around North Island, which is across the Bay from downtown, all the way down to the US Border. So it is very common to see these, at very low altitudes. It is cool to see the different configurations of them as they fly by
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 9.37.21 AM.jpg

Now this is obviously not aircraft, but it was that moment I had to take a photo because it would have been too hard to describe and not have been close. Too much heat waves coming off of the water for me to publish this one, but still a pretty unique view of 2 boats. I called it My Big Brother. The 2nd ship is about 5 miles offshore while the closer one is maybe 3/4 to a mile offshore.
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 9.38.06 AM.jpg

Enjoy!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Though not exactly "Low Flying", this is certainly one mission that requires precision and skill.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHlXe_RnYo

This is FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I can hear the pilots praying, "No wind God, please no wind!"

... I'm sitting in the safety of my home and can still feel the tension of those workers both in the chopper and the stack they were assembling.

Hire the right people if you want a complicated job done. I can't imagine that helicopter pilot having that level of control.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Though not exactly "Low Flying", this is certainly one mission that requires precision and skill.....

Hire the right people if you want a complicated job done. I can't imagine that helicopter pilot having that level of control.

Yeah, hoping that mutt-kahuna doesn't mind us being a wee-bit of track of his excellent thread here, but that is a great post ColdWarrior; thanks!

I'm astounded that both the pilot, AND the machine are capable of that kind of vertical/ horizontal control. Wow.

Wondering exactly how they dogged it all down tight initially before the bolt-up? Looks like they cinched it tight somehow with the cables (2? or 3?) before they bolted the sections up.​

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russian Helo? Mil 8? Those were some steady hands on the collective! WOW! Definitely not low flyin though, good flyin, but NOT low! Thanks Chappy!

AZK9

... I'm sitting in the safety of my home and can still feel the tension of those workers both in the chopper and the stack they were assembling. ...
Wow! Tension is a good word!
Awesome job... and awesome machine!
One of the many reasons I LOVE choppers!!

Thanks for the post! [thumbzup] Really enjoyed that one!

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the early 80's I was with my parents on the day of the open door on the Rhine Main Air Base, you could go through the C 5 ( Galaxy or was it the Starlifter ).
For a young boy was that very impressive.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there another bird that sounds like that, Chappy? Sitting backwards or turning on the lights IN the tail, the C-5 was/is one of me favorites! THANKS!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the early 80's I was with my parents on the day of the open door on the Rhine Main Air Base, you could go through the C 5 ( Galaxy or was it the Starlifter ).
For a young boy was that very impressive.
C-5 aka C-5A = Galaxy
C-141 = Starlifter

That airfield sure is in a pretty spot; do you know the location, ColdWarrior?
Nope, I don't know the location. There aren't too many runways around that are long enough for even that short run-out then re-accelerating to a safe rotation speed. It is some purty country though, isn't it?

Is there another bird that sounds like that, Chappy? Sitting backwards or turning on the lights IN the tail, the C-5 was/is one of me favorites! THANKS!
I am not an expert on engine sounds but I do know a few "bird calls". I do believe that the C-5/C-5A series have a unique sound to them. To me it's almost like a high speed circular saw with many teeth ripping the air rather that the more smooth whistle of a smaller diameter turbofan.

Another I recognize is the Mitsubishi MU-300 Diamond Jet, aka: Beechjet 400/400A, aka USAF T-1A Jayhawk (all the same base aircraft) with it's distinctive multi-tone "whistle". (I worked avionics/electrical design engineering for its original Type-Certification.) I was designed with NO sound buffering insulation in its engine nacelles - all of it's "HUSH CHARACTERISTICS" were achieved with accordion-like structures that absorb the unpleasant frequencies rather than transmitting or amplifying them through the structure.

I think it was the Galaxy (front and tailgate were open).
The Starlifter was smaller, am i wrong?
Is the C5 the Galaxy?
Yup. C-5's are Galaxy named aircraft. And yes, the Starlifter, though smaller it is still an large airframe indeed.

I think it was the Galaxy (front and tailgate were open).
The Starlifter was smaller, am i wrong?
Is the C5 the Galaxy?[/QUOTE

Yes, Sir.

C5 Galaxy
C141 Starlifter

Starlifter was "smaller" but is a large aircraft

Here's a link ya might find interesting.
http://www.airvectors.net/avc5.html
Yup. You beat me to it. Kinda took the words right outta my fingertips.

Carry on.

NovacaineFix

I remember seeing both the Galaxy and Starlifter at the Air Show here in San Diego quite a few years back, they are impressive in size.
Since the air show is typically in October the Galaxy and Starlifter, if they are both there are used by many for a giant sunscreen. The wings make a great canopy for those who don't want to bake on the tarmac.

Here are some old photos from a crappy camera I had at the time.
One is the Starlifter parked in front of the Galaxy.
Events - 00316.jpgEvents - 09926.jpgEvents - 11684.jpgEvents - 00325.jpgEvents - 00332.jpg

My favorite, though not as big but equally impressive is the B1B

b1b.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember seeing both the Galaxy and Starlifter at the Air Show here in San Diego quite a few years back, they are impressive in size.
Since the air show is typically in October the Galaxy and Starlifter, if they are both there are used by many for a giant sunscreen. The wings make a great canopy for those who don't want to bake on the tarmac.

Here are some old photos from a crappy camera I had at the time.
One is the Starlifter parked in front of the Galaxy.
View attachment 595568View attachment 595571View attachment 595572View attachment 595569View attachment 595570

My favorite, though not as big but equally impressive is the B1B

View attachment 595573

Actually, Sir, what you have there are as follows:

Pic 1:
B-52 (Bomber) in front of C-5 Galaxy
Note the distinctive 8-Engines mounted in pairs on each Pylon.

Pic 2:
B-52 nose section

Pic 3, 4, & 5:
C-5 Galaxy

Pic 6:
B-1B Lancer (Supersonic Bomber)

Thank you for sharing. Nice pics.

74M35A2

Had a low flier in the house last night. Bought an RC copter, my 10 year old daughter was the first to fly it. Went up, over, and into the fish tank full of water and settled on her pet turtle's back with the led still flashing. I have never laughed so hard in my life. It was new out of the box for about 7 seconds.

Copter Splash.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks