• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turtle was trying to go "Air Mobile" and do a "hot extraction" ! LMBO! Sorry about the loss of aircraft. Seven seconds is a purdy short flight. LOL

NovacaineFix

Actually, Sir, what you have there are as follows:

Pic 1:
B-52 (Bomber) in front of C-5 Galaxy
Note the distinctive 8-Engines mounted in pairs on each Pylon.

Pic 2:
B-52 nose section

Pic 3, 4, & 5:
C-5 Galaxy

Pic 6:
B-1B Lancer (Supersonic Bomber)

Thank you for sharing. Nice pics.
Thank you for the correction, I wasn't 100% sure about the plane in the front.
Took those pics probably 10 or so years ago.
Either way, the plane is big but is dwarfed when sitting next to or in front of a C5 Galaxy.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if there were any instances where the system was actually used (and not just tested, like here).
I can affirmatively attest that it WAS deployed and employed in the field during the Vietnam Conflict.

Downed Pilots were on several occasions recovered by this extraction method. The kit could be dropped through the jungle canopy, and without a large LZ as required for extraction by helicopter, the extractee could come up through that canopy with very little opening to the sky since the initial trajectory was VERTICAL for about 150-250 feet.

In addition to downed pilots, certain operatives and even at least one captured command officer were extracted this way.

It was also used post Vietnam Conflict in "sensitive" areas in support of CIA and other Black Ops.

While it's most sensational application was personnel extraction, various equipment extractions - particularly recorded communication intercepts from obscure listening posts were also yanked into the sky. Some captured equipment was also retrieved and sent for analysis, but this was more rare indeed.

Though there are some who persist in denying the systems' operational deployment, it's service record has been declassified.

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

I wonder if there were any instances where the system was actually used (and not just tested, like here).
If i remember correctly between Korea and Vietnam a B-29 fitted with a similar system picked up CIA guys off a Russian base in the arctic before it melted into the sea.

The base had been abandoned by the Russians due to the thaw. The CIA saw it as a chance to get information. So operatives jumped in and got equipment and papers out using this method, and once the ice started to crumble they got themselves out this way.

Another Ahab

I can affirmatively attest that it WAS deployed and employed in the field during the Vietnam Conflict.

Though there are some who persist in denying the systems' operational deployment, it's service record has been declassified.
I wondered about its use outside of rescue at sea, because you got to figure that in a hostile zone that tethered balloon is sure difficult to hide, and almost literally a "Dead Give-Away".

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The original low Flyer
Wright brothers.jpg
The Wright brothers needed and engine in 1903 so they could go flying.
The engines available at the time for automobiles were not suitable.

Charlie Taylor built an engine with an aluminum crankcase made by a foundry which later became Alcoa.
I wonder what the gasoline was like then, no additives at all, what octane?
https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/fly/1903/engine.cfm

Anyhow,after about 80 years they got engine #20 out and started it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osodk7-1G_A

NovacaineFix

Just got back from a trip with the CUCV trailing through Death Valley and saw this guy doing what I guess is considered low altitude radar maneuvers?

Between Trona and Panamint Springs are a series of radar towers in the valley of the mountains. Several military bases are nearby, but I am guessing these are out of Naval Weapons Station China Lake .

These guys are flying really low. One of the guys, also driving a CUCV, said that he saw one coming towards him, the pilot flapped the wings and did a low fly-by pass.

B00T3018 copy.jpgB00T3019 copy.jpgB00T3020 copy.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks