• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Another Ahab

I want to say F-18 Hornets, but that is just a guess, 'cause that's what flies around here most often.

Sadly I had to use the super zoom with a tele-converter to get those shots, he was moving so fast and away
Hey, that's nice work and it's appreciated. It's amazing that you got the shots at all:

- The "go fast" fly over here from JB Andrews now and then (Arlington Cemetery flyovers and that kind of thing), and by the time you hear them screaming overhead and reach for a camera...

- they're all L-O-N-G gone!

Last edited:

Hitman

A-10

A-10.jpgThe Autobans in Germany were designed for emergency refuelling and rearming fighter aircraft. When I was station in Germany in 80 to 84, saw some of it.

Another Ahab

View attachment 604951The Autobans in Germany were designed for emergency refuelling and rearming fighter aircraft.
I believe the original intent and purpose (under Hitler) was rapid troop deployment, but likely the multi-purpose function as an airstrip was also part of the original plan (Hitler had the benefit of a lot of good talent).

Eisenhower copied it with the U.S. Interstate system (I think it was even one-time called the Defense Highway System or something). Detroit hitched their star to that program and the rest is history.

BnaditCorps

I believe the original intent and purpose (under Hitler) was rapid troop deployment, but likely the multi-purpose function as an airstrip was also part of the original plan (Hitler had the benefit of a lot of good talent).

Eisenhower copied it with the U.S. Interstate system (I think it was even one-time called the Defense Highway System or something). Detroit hitched their star to that program and the rest is history.
I read somewhere that late in the war it was used as an air base and the planes were hidden in the trees on the sides.

Also i heard somewhere that 1 out of every 5 miles of interstate should be clear of obstacles so a plane can land in wartime/emergencies

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the right half of the map is going to be frozen to the computer for a while, lets add a few videos.

I'm hunting Civil Defence info from the mid 40's to 65'ish and run across a ton of testing/ prooving ground videos like this one.

Everything from the very odd H43A (10:00) , the YC123H, F-104, F100, F84F etc. Also included is the C-130 that lands in 1150ft and takes off in 650ft weighing 119,000 lbs....all in dirt.

There are also Deuces, tanks, 5-tons, the WC52 a DUKW and what might be a weasel? beside it. One of the lowest passes is around 15:00 and it doesn't work out well for the aircraft.

There's no gore in this vid, it's all about testing but at the same time, for MV lovers at Valentines....this crash video may be disturbing to some audiences, viewer discretion is advised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOchuCJ9f4

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have vids of the F-4 (2) the later variant that wasn't put into American production? Saw pics of it, same idea, LOTS of power and little else! LOL

Another Ahab

Rumble, Rumble, Rumble​
Thank you, ColdWarrior for the vids.

It brings back the flyovers here in DC last Summer (B-17s and also Fifi, the only flightworthy B-29 left).

When those babies flew over it brought out the Rebel Yell in me; it was an emotion you just couldn't contain:

- It was a combination of the thrill in the sight of those aircraft, up close; and then also (as you noted) the beautiful sound of roaring raw power from those heavy engines.

And then just the realization of what those machines meant, in their time, to ensuring Freedom for the whole world.

As they passed over, low; I mean it just brought a holler right out of you, at the top of your lungs! Yeeeee-HAW!!!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya just GOTTA love that roar from those giant radials!!! MAN!!! Thanks Chappy!

Here's one that'll make ya grab the kleenex because of F.O.D. to the optical sensors for sure!! What a TREMENDOUS group of men and women, we owe them EVERYTHING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKBNw4kfwNM
We thank God for the Greatest Generation. Let FREEDOM ring !

Yes, I had to grab a Kleenex in humbling appreciation.

Thank you for sharing this video.

God bless America !

Another Ahab

I love to hear the stories. But it feels cruel to ask him to remember. War is horrible.

35 missions, and returned alive. God Bless the man. Amen

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks